Savage Worlds

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
sunwolf
Cannon Fodder

Savage Worlds

Post by sunwolf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Ive been looking at quite a few Virtual Tabletops in the past few days. Right now its between Battlegrounds and one other, but before I choose I need some info.

I need to know if BRPG can do Savage Worlds. The dice roller in the demo lacks the functionality to make SW die rolls and a bigger problem is SW uses a regular deck of cards for initiative. I can get around the cards, I think, but the die roller is a make-or-break feature.

Looks like youve got a great product here, keep up the good work.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Welcome, Sunwolf.

I'm not familiar with the dice mechanics of Savage Worlds. Can you describe the functionality that you would need added?

In the meantime, you should know that BRPG's dice roller panel is due for an overhaul soon. One thing I would like to add is a way to mix and match dice of different types, or dice of the same type but in different colors. By any chance, is that what you'd need? There are also plans to support card decks.

Oh, and feel free to mention the other product you're considering. I'm well aware that any of the other VT programs may be better suited for specific uses.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

sunwolf
Cannon Fodder

Post by sunwolf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Okay lets see if I can keep this simple,

Savage Worlds use dice to rate attributes & skills with d4 being the worst and d12 being about as good as it gets. Wild Cards (PCs/important NPCs) roll the relevant die plus a d6 Wild die and use the better of the two rolls.

If a die comes up on its highest number its called an Ace and is rolled again.

Most target numbers start at 4 and can be modified, every 4 after the target is a Raise and has additional effects.

So if my hero has a Fighting of d8, to hit someone with a Parry of 4, I roll a d8 and a d6, if I get an 8 or 6 I roll that die again and add. If I end up with a total of 14, I hit and get 2 raises. (I hope that made sense).

Cards are used for initiative and need 2 through ace with suits.

There is a quick start version of the SW rules on the Pinnacle website, but they just re-launched the site and I cant find it online right now. If you would like a copy I can email it to you.

So yes most of the upgrades you mention will go a long way towards making BRPG work for SW, which is great. If the die roller could automatically re-roll Aces, that would be great. If you could also tell it the target number and have it roll and determine Raises Id¦ lets not go there.

The other programs Im toying with are openRPG and RPTools. RPTools are nice but still in development and openRPG, well Ive heard mixed reviews of.

Right now, once you get the die rolled upgraded BRPG looks like its the way Ill go. Im thinking about buying right now, but the wife would kill me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks for the dice mechanics recap.

I do plan on supporting exploding dice/Aces/open-ended rolls, and I will also have target numbers. But I suspect the interface for these types of rolls will get so cumbersome, you'd want to pre-program the die rolls as macros, rather than filling out a convoluted set of text fields and checkboxes on the Dice Roller each time.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

sunwolf
Cannon Fodder

Post by sunwolf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:34 pm

heruca wrote:Thanks for the dice mechanics recap.
Anything I can do to help.
heruca wrote:I do plan on supporting exploding dice/Aces/open-ended rolls, and I will also have target numbers. But I suspect the interface for these types of rolls will get so cumbersome, you'd want to pre-program the die rolls as macros, rather than filling out a convoluted set of text fields and checkboxes on the Dice Roller each time.
How hard are the macros to write for someone who is functionally computer illiterate?

A question about licensing, can a player client be upgraded to a GM client at a later date?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:44 pm

sunwolf wrote:How hard are the macros to write for someone who is functionally computer illiterate?
It'll be very easy, because all you'll have to do is set your options (using pulldown menus, checkboxes, radio buttons, and text fields on a panel), press the "Save Dice Macro" button, and the program will write out some data to a preferences file on your hard drive. No scripting required, and your macros will be safely preserved even if you update the software later.

Your dice macros will have names assigned to them (chosen by you), and you'll just invoke them by name during play, probably via a pulldown menu on the Dice Roller panel.
sunwolf wrote:A question about licensing, can a player client be upgraded to a GM client at a later date?
Yes, it can be upgraded, but for now it's strictly a "manual" process. You email me stating your intention to upgrade, then pay the price difference via PayPal. I then cancel your Player Client license code and issue you a new code for a GM Client license.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Yet to try Battlegrounds, but will be taking up heruca's offer of a demo at some point in the future.

Savage Worlds however is my system of choice so any functionality that is or can be added to Battlegrounds gets my vote!

Test drive rules can be found here.

MB

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:10 am

Welcome aboard Murgh Bpurn.

I have been playing SW for the past month or so and have been pretty happy with the system. So it is good to see another fan.
heruca wrote:Now is the time to make all die roller requests. So keep them coming, as I'll be starting on v1.0.9 development very soon, and it's main focus will be giving the Die Roller an overhaul, and adding dice macros.
It appears Heruca will be focusing shortly on the dice system, which is great news. :D

Calvin
Cannon Fodder

Savage Worlds

Post by Calvin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:01 pm

Ditto for me. I'm a big time Savage Worlds player. The fine folks at Great White Games seem to have gone the Fantasy Grounds route, making Savage Worlds tile sets and rule sets.

However, I've several friends in our gaming group who are Mac hounds. Since Fantasy Grounds doesn't support Apple, they'd be out of luck if we were to go that route.

I'd buy your product today, if you had (even minimal) Savage Worlds support. It sounds like that's imminent?

Calvin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Welcome, Calvin.

I can't say I blame Great White Games for going with FG, since they've been around longer and have a more sizable userbase.

But I think you'll like the new functionality that I'm adding to v1.0.9, as far as dice rolling support for Savage Worlds goes. And card deck support (for Savage Worlds initiative) is expected for v1.1 or shortly thereafter.

Would anything else be needed, in your opinion, to make BRPG better support Savage Worlds?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:09 pm

sunwolf wrote:Wild Cards (PCs/important NPCs) roll the relevant die plus a d6 Wild die and use the better of the two rolls.

So if you were to roll a d8 and get an 8, with a reroll of 4 (total of 12), and you rolled a 6 on your wild die with a reroll of 5 (total of 11), you would ignore the wild die, despite it's result of 11, because the d8 scored higher?

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:30 pm

heruca wrote:
sunwolf wrote:Wild Cards (PCs/important NPCs) roll the relevant die plus a d6 Wild die and use the better of the two rolls.

So if you were to roll a d8 and get an 8, with a reroll of 4 (total of 12), and you rolled a 6 on your wild die with a reroll of 5 (total of 11), you would ignore the wild die, despite it's result of 11, because the d8 scored higher?
Savage Worlds rules wrote:...take the best of their normal die or the "Wild Die" when making skill or attribute rolls.
So yes, the player would likely choose the d8 roll.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks.

It must be a bit disappointing when that happens, though.

"Aw, man, I scored an Ace on my wild die and I didn't get squat out of it!" :x

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:25 am

Sunwolf wrote:If the die roller could automatically re-roll Aces, that would be great. If you could also tell it the target number and have it roll and determine Raises Id¦ lets not go there.
It took a bit of doing, but I believe Savage Worlds dice mechanics (including automatic re-rolling of Aces, counting Raises, and dropping the low die) are now fully supported and working properly in v1.0.9. :D
Attachments
Savage Worlds Dice Roll.jpg
Savage Worlds Dice Roll.jpg (226.63 KiB) Viewed 6984 times

Emryys
Sergeant

Post by Emryys » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Wow! Looks sweet Heruca... :D

He Who Holds In Thrall
Cannon Fodder

Post by He Who Holds In Thrall » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:59 pm

That's looking good for the Wild Card die roll! Just keep in mind that while the PCs and major villains get the Wild Die, most NPCs don't - they just roll the trait die type alone, so that would need to remain an option.

Also, how are things looking for card deck support? For the most effective Savage Worlds set-up, we'd need to be able to have multiple decks with manual reshuffle controls, as the GM and the players each use seperate initiative decks, and reshuffles don't occur until a Joker is drawn. Also, in Deadlands, some magic users draw a hand from another, separate deck, which is then reshuffled afterwards.

If you can get Battlegrounds to support the cards as well as the die rolls, I'll finally be able to host online SW games, and will be looking into purchasing multiple licenses as gifts to my players.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Wild Dice are optional. Just don't add them on NPC macros.

Card Deck support will be in v1.2 (in January 2008). For now, perhaps you can play with real card decks beside your computer (the GM handles all card draws and reports the result via text chat or voice chat.