New to the scene.

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
heliopolix
Cannon Fodder

New to the scene.

Post by heliopolix » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Just introducing myself on these forums. I've been using Fantasy Grounds since December of '04, and had used other similar VT in the past (screenmonkey and some others come to mind). I was fairly active on the modification and creation board there, although my presence there has faded as my job began to demand more and more of my time. I'd seen battlegrounds mentioned on there quite a bit, as heruca seems to post regularly there. I had some free time during the holiday, and came by to try out your product. I was fairly impressed with it, and although I don't plan on swapping over my regular gaming group any time in the near future (they are not as computer savvy as me, getting them working with FG has been an adventure in itself), I am genuinely interested in becoming fluent in BG as well. In my brief browsing through the forums, i see quite a few handles I recognize (mad props go out to Kepli, of Dunjinni fame, your work rocks), so I'm confident that this program has developed a community as supportive as the one that has flourished around FG (which is good, community + competition is good for the market, and great for us gamer consumers). While the interface of the program isn't yet intuitive to me, and some minor bugs rear there ugly heads [only 9 dice rolled at a time?], I look forward to getting to know the program and all of you.

Later,
helio

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:44 am

Welcome, Heliopolix.

I like that you've got experience with several VT apps. Perhaps you can help point out areas where Battlegrounds could be more intuitive. The fact is, I'm trying to make something that's supposed to appeal to folks that aren't necessarily computer-savvy, and it sounds like I'm falling short of the mark.

BTW, the 9 dice max at a time thing isn't a bug, per-se, just a temporary limitation until I get around to redoing the dice panel. Among the things I'd like to add are an indicator of what the die roll is for (saving throw, perception check, etc.), being able to specify a target number that you're rolling against, and automatically referencing a table with the die roll result (e.g., a critical hit chart). Oh, and dice macros, of course.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heliopolix
Cannon Fodder

Post by heliopolix » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 am

Points well noted.

What i had in mind when i meant non-intuitive is that there seem to be tww or three different places to configure the map settings (what type of grid, what size the map is), rather than having all those options in one place. I suppose once i was used to the program, it wouldnt seem odd, I would just know where the are (sort of like how windows hides configuration tools all over, which makes no sense, but once you know where they are, its just second nature to use them in those locations).

The dice roller seems really slick, and the additions you mentioned definitely make it better. I understand the 9-dice cap from a programmer's perspective, I was just a bit confused by the fact that the program is in sellable-release status, not beta status. I understand your need to generate revenue so you can continue to improve the program, but it just struck me (censored) odd.

One real bug I have noticed is Snap-to-grid not working with Hexes. This may be known/documented, I confess I havent looked thru the bug-report forum yet.

As far as being useable by non-computer savvy, I would say that my freinds are very stereotypical. Any new program frightens them, which boggles my mind. The pulldown menu's will work well for them, while the more advanced users will appreciate hotkeys (which some of my freinds dont like to memorize).

Anyways, thanks for the welcome, and I'll be around.

Later,
helio

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:09 pm

Welcome Heliopolix :D