NWN 2

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:09 pm

Linksys is what I have, and it seems that their website has had pretty good help when I have questions recently. Hate calling them though, I always seem to get the same person who seems to not know english very well and just listens for keywords and gives direction from a script. Just makes it frustrating when trying to describe what may be an "odd" problem. Perhaps I'm simply unlucky with their phone help.
--Tlichie

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, don't mean to get the topic back on topic, but... ;)

Has anyone tried using NWN2's toolset to create maps or tokens for BRPG (or another VTT) yet?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:37 am

Omnidon wrote:I got to the store today and they'd only had 4 copies to begin with and they had sold mine...
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive... That's why we got off topic in the first place. Might call em today.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 pm

Well, I finally got my copy of NWN 2 a couple days ago.

It's actually rather disappointing. It's still a decent game, but really not as big an improvement over the old one as I would've hoped. Mainly it lacks polish, so I'm hoping the developers will continue to work out the kinks much like heruca is doing.

-edit-

I was going to describe the good, the bad, and the very bad of NWN 2 now but I think I'll wait until I've had more time to play around with it.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:45 am

Well, I've played around with the toolset and I have to say that it is an awesome tool to use in creating all kinds of icons/tokens and objects for VTT's. This really opens up a ton of possibilities and removes the need to buy all kinds of expensive token packs.

I created a couple rough items just to figure out the basic process and it's quite easy to do. I was concerned about not having many decent monster and character tokens to use, but this really puts asside those fears.

I've spent a lot of time scoring all kind of cool graphics from the VTT community, but it never seems like I have enough or exactly everything I'd need (especially when it comes to monsters.) Now, I'm a lot more secure with knowing that I can pretty quickly throw together decent looking encounters.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 am

FB, are you talking about top-down tokens, or pog-style? Because I can show you where to get all the pog-style tokens you could ever want.

Top-down is harder, but the situation is improving. I'll be offering themed collections at some point.

BTW, is anyone using front-view tokens at all?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm not sure what I'll eventually end up using more of, the top down or front view, but I'll be trying both for a while.
--Tlichie

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:05 pm

heruca wrote:FB, are you talking about top-down tokens, or pog-style? Because I can show you where to get all the pog-style tokens you could ever want.
I was most interested in making top-down tokens, so that's what I was doing with NWN2.

Here is a sample token I made of an Umberhulk. I probably don't have the size exactly right for BRPG, but I set the base to be 122 pixels (I saw that mentioned in a post about being a good size to allow for zooming.) It's a transparent base, but it's hard to tell against the white background... I like the look of the bases you're using in many of the sample BRPG pics I've seen.

Of course, I don't own the copyrights of the graphics for NWN2, but the fact is I'm just looking for personal use, not to make money.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Tlichie wrote:I'm not sure what I'll eventually end up using more of, the top down or front view, but I'll be trying both for a while.
Well, I suppose that I'd use pretty much anything to make an encounter work if I had to. For instance, an ogre can easily stand in for any large brutish monster. Heck, in my PnP games we regularly just use dice to represent monsters. I mean, how many people really have miniature collections that are complete enough to handle most encounters?

But the point is that NWN2 does offer people a real nice toolset that can be used to create tokens rather quickly without having to use stand-ins. In this way, a VTT can actually be more "realistic" that using a real table-top.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:50 pm

That's pretty good quality, from NWN2.

FYI, there's no need for you to make base graphics, since those get added in BRPG. And eventually I'll make it so that you can set what image you want to use for a base.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:42 am

heruca wrote:Because I can show you where to get all the pog-style tokens you could ever want.
I would be interested in seeing what different pog-style tokens are available. Could you post a couple links, please?
heruca wrote:BTW, is anyone using front-view tokens at all?
At this point, I am planning on using primarily front-view tokens (to make different characters more easily identifiable at a glance). Do you have any links to sources for these as well?

Thanks.
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:18 am

For pog-style, check out each of the member albums here:
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/

Also look here:
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/tokens/

RPGMapShare has a ton, too:
http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... temId=5463
http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... temId=5462

Or just use the TokenTool mini-app to make your own from any source art.

For front-view tokens, I like scanning in standup paper minis (like the Cardboard Heroes line from SJ Games). Note that you have to cut them out in a graphics app to make them PNGs with transparency.

There are also free ones you can download from sites like this:
http://www.thefantasytrip.com/pieces.php

Or commercial ones, like these:
http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27 (scroll down some)

Two_Tone
Cannon Fodder

Post by Two_Tone » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:18 am

Of course, I don't own the copyrights of the graphics for NWN2, but the fact is I'm just looking for personal use, not to make money.
I'm pretty sure Atari owns the image rights. I know they do for the original NWN. I asked Bioware about personal use of the images and they (Jay Watamaniuk) said I should pursue a representative of Atari, of course i never heard back from them. Atari was probably in Bankruptcy court :lol:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:17 am

Atari is the publisher of NWN 2.

The developer of NWN 1 was Bioware, but the developer of NWN 2 was Obsidian. I probably wouldn't have bought NWN 2 right away if I had known that.

Obsidian was the company that made KotoR 2, also a sequel to one of Bioware's games. They used the KotoR engine for NWN 2 instead of the good old Aurora engine, which makes it feel like a console game that has been ported to the computer.