TVIEW and My Dell

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Venger
General

TVIEW and My Dell

Post by Venger » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Sounds like the start of a beautiful story!

Well I guess it is in a way.
I discovered that my Dell Inspiron i8600 is equipped with the video hardware; GeForce FxGo5200, and since I updated the driver (which I never bothered to do in the past) it now treats the external monitor as a separate video output, and it also allows me to extend my Desktop out to my TVIEW

This allows me to show separate outputs on my Laptop Screen and my TVIEW output which is connected to a bigscreen TV

In the past I have had a workstation with two video cardz and basically that what my laptop does now, and thats the way to GM if you are doing tabletop games from a computer

So now I will (next pay day) invest in the Player Client so I can run both and have all the capabilities that are available

Perhaps one day a "Tabletop" varient or Alternate Config could be made available that would not necessarily require great Online support, but would be optimized for r/l Tabletop games in that it would have the GM screen and the Player Screen which would run on a separate monitor.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:35 pm

Good for you!

You might consider a Floating License instead of a Player Client. It's the same price, but gives you more flexibility, should you ever want to play online.

And of course, you can start testing your extended desktop setup with just the free demo, if you don't mind the timeout period.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Ok I will consider that

As a question of curiousity,

In a single computer environment, would a single program outputting to GM screen and Player sceen be more resource friendly than two programs, one the GM client and the other the Player Client?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:52 pm

It would be more RAM-friendly, but the CPU would still take twice the hit on things like Fog of War rendering. Of course, it does so even with dual instances... The ideal is to have a networked PC doing the player view. Perhaps a multi-core CPU would fare somewhat better, I don't really know.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Yeah

I am already considering giving my old 800mhz P4 to my friend Danny, even though he wouldnt use it. hehe

He is an XBOX and Playstation junkie

At least it would be there to use on game day just for this purpose though

Otherwise I dont relish the idea of toting two computers to his house on weekends we play lol

my problem I know but we will see how things go, and a dual core laptop would be a happy thing indeed I am sure!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:07 am

One thing to note is that there will be a eventually be dual-screen support in the GM client so that then you will not need a floating license to get the player view on the second monitor.