resource help anyone?

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Fenthen
Sergeant

resource help anyone?

Post by Fenthen » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:08 am

A few months back when I started gearing up to run a new campaign I saw a program somewhere on the Net that you could use to create a world atlas or randomly generate continents and such, im not looking for anything super detailed because that would be mind boggling, im just looking for something to Aide in the creation of the world.... wow, that sounds strange, lol. Anyone know what im looking for, or have suggestions?

also has anyone used campaign cartographer 3 yet? is it any good?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am

Might be worth looking at the tools here...
http://www.irony.com/webtools.html
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:46 am

thanks heruca, anything is worth a try, im horrible at generating worlds from scratch.

Jester
Soldier

Post by Jester » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:11 pm

I use CC3 pretty extensively for overview maps; for instance, here is one of the first maps I made with it, of a large city in my RPG:

http://goodvevil.com/wiki/images/5/5e/T ... wncity.gif

I also use it occasionally for encounter maps, particularly encounters around buildings. The buildings can scale to whatever map size I like, so I often generate four or five maps of the same area in different scales and can do this very easily.

It uses tile pieces similar to many other mapping tools and the tile pieces with CC3 are a little cartoony, so if you don't mind that, it's a very good, easy-to-use mapping tool. The cartoony pieces are also good in another respect: they generate very small file sizes for encounter maps that upload to my players very quickly.

Overall, well worth the money.
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E/2E Role-Playing (On-line)

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:21 pm

thanks jester, I was considering getting CC3 for the over view maps, but ive been on the fence about it.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:25 am

CC3 is still pretty new, but is certainly very exciting. I used CC2 a good deal, together with some fan-made resources specifically aimed at allowing maps in the style of the Hârn setting to be done with it (available here). This 'pack' has not been 'upgraded' for CC3, yet - but it is being done, I believe. I understand some of the tools they included (using macros) are incorporated into CC3, so it should be easy :wink:

To get an idea what can be done with this set-up, take a look at some speculative maps of English settlements around 1190 here. They are spectacular, IMO. There are also some interior maps here.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:38 am

Wow, I'm impressed. I've never been a fan of CC2's vector-based symbols, but I'm somewhat familiar with Harn maps, and those examples come pretty close to the real thing. They capture the overall feel pretty well.

Should be really impressive when something similar can be done using PNGs in CC3.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.