Screenshots

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Screenshots

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:28 am

Anyone got any screen shots they can post? Just would like to see how good things can look from some of the other members
--I must feed

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:05 am

Here's one from Beta 1.03...

You can see some potential problems with labelling, perhaps resolved by linking to mouseover instead? Otherwise looks pretty dang good!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:28 am

Great example Hale :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:09 pm

I love it when people post pictures! Thanks, Halebop.

What would you all recommend I do about character names? I hesitate to make the label field any wider, since it'll clutter things too much when you have several tokens adjacent to each other (a very common occurrence).

I could truncate the name to fit (e.g., "Assassin Tw..."), or use a smaller font size (although readability would drop), or simply omit the name and show it only in a rollover tooltip.

Or perhaps someone has a better idea...?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:22 pm

I think Rollover (I call it Mouseover) tooltip would be best. However, maybe you could hotkey (toggle on/off) a "Show all" so a harried player or DM could display everything at once and just rollover the ones that can't be clearly read because of other encroaching figures, then switch it all off again to remove the clutter.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:09 am

I second Halebop's suggestion :)

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:39 am

...might be nice if the token's name was a different color/font/size/boldness to any other displayed status too...

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:44 am

Someone else post a pick please!

Alisanos
Soldier

Post by Alisanos » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:54 am

With regards to the character names, I think you should keep what you have now and add the following:

1. Tooltips which could display more information.
2. The ability to create "bubbles". I am not sure of what the proper name would be for these. Kind of like in comics where you have a line going from the characters mouth to a "bubble" where the character's words are spoken. You could do the same. Allow the GM to drag a "bubble" from the character token to anywhere on the map and then enter the info that the GM needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:09 pm

That sounds a bit complicated, from a programming standpoint, Alisanos. Where would the bubbles originate from? The centerpoint of the figure it's attached to? Ideally, the bubbles would ned to automatically reposition themselves as other units move under them, so that they don't block anything.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Alisanos
Soldier

Post by Alisanos » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:57 pm

When the bubble is first called, it should be centered on the character token. Then the GM can enter the info that he wants to display in the bubble. After he is done entering the info, he should then be able to drag the bubble to anywhere on the screen that he wants. Then you just have a thin line connecting the bubble with the character token that it represents. That way you still see all of the character tokens and underlying map. The GM has all of the information that he wants to display visible until he does not need it anymore.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:37 pm

An idea for the future maybe?

It seems a long way from the chat window and would require some complex programming to complete and may just result in an even more cluttered screen. I personally will be using BG at actual PnP games or online but still with real speach via Skype or maybe Ineen (When they sort their bugs out). Any text would be restricted to "secret" messages so the existing mooted chat function would by quite adequate to the task.

To me the strength of BG are the unobstructed visuals and automatic interpration of visbility and Fog of War. You can also have a full screen of map and tokens visible without any menus cluttering. Covering the screen with bubbles, messages or whatever detracts from the core "Its a WYSIWYG tabletop" intent.

Alisanos
Soldier

Post by Alisanos » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:28 am

Halebop - I think I may have inadvertently confused you. I was not suggesting that the "bubbles" be used for displaying conversation between characters. I was just using conversation bubbles from comics as an example. My intent was to describe a way to put more game information on the screen without cluttering important parts of the screen. Let's use your image as an example. In your image, you have added a label to Myrdoch which states that he is "Unconcious" and "Poisoned". If there were another character below Myrdoch, it would be difficult to read the fact that Myrdoch was unconcious and poisoned. If you had a container or "bubble", you could place that information into the "bubble" and drag the "bubble" to anywhere on the screen that you desire. Then you would just have a line connecting the bubble to the appropriate character token.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:49 am

Thanks for the clarification Alisanos.

I suspect still a techier and complex solution to code than a simple mouseover with the same results... We get to see the contents of the text on screen.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:18 am

My contribution to the screenshot examples ...
BRPG Screenshot

Usability issue: As you can see, after putting down one Tarantula or Scorpion, the next ones are put down without getting a chance to enter a name, size, etc. Even now, when I start a new session and put down a scorpion, I don't get the chance to alter the name, size, etc.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:37 am

That appears to be some sort of saving/caching issue with the User_Cast.cst file. Heruca sent me an almost clean copy of the file and most of the previously edited creatures were "clean" again. I haven't mentioned it in the bugs section as yet because I imagine its just a Beta issue.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:39 am

Nice pic though!

Here's another from me with a simple lightning bolt in action. Gosh D&D lightning Bolts are long...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 am

Wow! Somehow I missed all these recent pics. Very nice.

Kepli, yes, I'm aware of the issue with unit settings not currently being editable after a particular piece of art has already been used before. One temporary workaround is to rename the artwork at the system level (even just adding a space should do it).

There's also the fact that there's currently no way to purge artwork you no longer want, so your "User Cast" file will just keep getting bigger and bigger (especially when importing a lot of maps).