Firewall/Proxy Woes

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
erian_7
General

Firewall/Proxy Woes

Post by erian_7 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 pm

Well, it looks like the Dundjinni site finally got hit by our Internet filter at work! :cry:

Luckily, they haven't found this site yet, but I'll likely be much less active on DJ now, as I can only post from home (and that usually after Noah has gone to bed).

And just as Phergus and I were wrapping up our dot pitch conversation--ah well, I'm sure everyone was ready for that dead horse to go away anyway... :wink: My wife will confirm my sometimes-similarity to a donkey when I get to talking about certain things. If I get going too long, somebody smack me! :lol:
<>< ;^)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:19 pm

::smacks Erian, and everyone else who posted in that thread, including myself::

Sorry to hear you got blocked at work. :(
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:17 pm

:: shakes off a look of vapid rabidity (or rabid vapidity, perhaps)...

Thanks heruca!

This does lead us back to getting a place for image posting. Looks like SR's site is still open to me, so I'll be sticking anything I work up there until something BRPG-specific is ready to go.
<>< ;^)

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:25 am

ah the dreaded content filter-I hate those things. I filled the void that used to be posting on forums with sleep actually. I will tell you another thing, you won't mind changing jobs at all when you go from the company with the content screening to the company without it.

We've got to figure out a way around this...argh-there must be something we can do.
--I must feed

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:39 am

Well, I can't complain too much--I do make a decent amount and only really put in about 2 days of work on any given week. Of course, that's after a Master's degree and Project Management certification, so I guess you could say I put the work in up front! Of course, my dream job is working from home...now that's the life!

I'll probably be filling the void actually creating art or writing--it's been over a year since I published a module and I'm starting to get the itch...hmm, that makes me think. Hey heruca, you up for folks making BRPG-ready modules for sale? If so, how might that work? Perhaps the various map settings can be saved off and sold with the module, but would be useless to somebody without a copy of BRPG? GhostOrb was actually looking to buy modules straight-out, but I haven't submitted anything yet as I'm uncertain how solid they'll be (and I don't want my work getting sucked into a void). Their pay wasn't as good as the RPGA, but they also weren't tying my hands on adventure theme and design.
<>< ;^)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:26 am

Good question, Erian.

Since the answer would be way off-topic, I'm going to answer it in a new thread.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 am

Such proxy blocking usually occurs as a result of a third party (from whom your employer buys blacklists) tagging a particular URL with a catagory identifier (such as "games") that your company has chosen to block.

If you're a "take the law into your own hands" sort of person, you can actually get around such restrictions quite easily... but you probably shouldn't. ;-)
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:56 pm

Yeah, I can bypass most of the security here fairly easily (I've got way more IT background than most of the IT folks!) but since I'm at a federal site, doing so is not taken too well (esp. since 9/11)...
<>< ;^)