New to BGE and need help please :)

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
alanhagan111
Soldier

New to BGE and need help please :)

Post by alanhagan111 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi all, I'm new to BGE and have some questions. I'm currently working on importing D&D Wrath of Ashardalon and need some assistance with a few items. I'm using the standard BGE not the RPG edition. Most of the tutorials I've found online seem to focus on the BGERPG and I've noticed some differences in folders, etc... which leads to the majority of my questions I believe. I'm kind of overwhelmed here...

I. I've scanned 5 "character cards" front & back. All the scanned images are put in a folder and that folder is then placed in the components folder of BGE.
A.) Is this where I should place them?
B.) If I do place them here, when I build a card deck, it treats all the cards a separate cards, not front and back of the same card. How do I correct this?
C.) What is the hotkey to "flip" a card, I can't seem to find it?
D.) In one of the videos I saw there was a way to "stagger" the distance of cards and fan them out. I see how to stagger the cards, but how do I change the distance and direction of the fanning?

heruca
Developer

Re: New to BGE and need help please :)

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:36 pm

A. Yes.
B. See pg. 23 of the BGE User Manual, located in the BGE root folder.
C. Use the "<" and ">" keys (but don't press the Shift key, so actually you are pressing comma and period). Press the "?" key for a Help screen that shows you the more commonly used hotkeys.
D. See pg. 77 of the BGE User Manual. The RETURN key toggles the "Stack" and "Stagger" functions for the selected units.

You can find 5 tutorial videos relevant to BGE here.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get deeper into the progression of creating the game. Thank you again for the incredible support!

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:07 am

II. Ok, so new question :) I've created all the hero cards and their corresponding powers decks. Here's where I run into a problem...
A.) When setting up a character, they choose several powers from various stacks of Daily, Utility, and at-will power cards. After the cards are chosen, the remaining cards from that stack are discarded. Sometimes that means that only one card needs to be discarded, but when I select and individual card and attempt to remove it, I get an error that there needs to be 2 or more cards to perform that action (paraphrasing). How do I correct this?
B.) In the same vein, at some point during the game a character may level up, which requires the player to flip that individual character card. However when I select and try to flip a single character card, I get the same error as above - that I need to have 2 or more selected. Again, how do I overcome this issue?

Thank you again for any assistance!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:26 am

I think both of those things may be happening because you accidentally left your CapsLock key engaged (presumably you used it earlier to set your Stagger Offset). There's a related feature that lets you swap your current token AND your current portrait simultaneously, if the CapsLock key is engaged. BGE thinks you're trying to invoke that functionality, rather than just flip a card.

Are you using BGE v1.5, or v1.7?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:05 am

Good call! That's exactly what I had done. I'm using 1.5. Thank you!

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Back again, with some more questions for the experts!

III.) When I mouse over a card, token, or tile it automatically zooms in on that object.
A.) What turns this function on and off?
B.) Can I control turning this on for some types of objects, ie. cards and tokens, but not for say...tiles?
C.) Can you adjust the scale of this zoom? and how?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm going to venture a guess that what you are referring to is that a magnified view of the item appears in the upper-right corner of your screen. That is the Portrait feature. See pg. 63-64 of the BGE User Manual.

You can disable it easily enough from the "Portrait" submenu, when you right-click on the unit in question. I believe there is a Preferences setting for whether or not Portrait is automatically enabled when placing Components on the game table. It's probably under Session-Specific Settings, in the BG button's popup menu.

You can't adjust how much it "zooms". The piece is simply always displayed at 100% size. The portrait will be smaller if you shrink the graphic in a graphics app prior to importing into BGE, or larger if you scale it up in the graphics app. When creating virtual cards, for example, I always look for an ideal size in Photoshop first (checking that the smallest text of any of my cards is readable at my chosen size), then I bring the card into BGE, and if it's all hunky-dory, I create the rest of the card deck using those pixel dimensions.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Perhaps it's my limited skill with photoshop, but I'm having an issue with re-sizing an image. It seems no matter what I do to the image, changing the pixels, size, or resolution - once i save it back into BGE, the portrait always winds up being the same size it was originally (filling the entire 1/3 right side of my screen). Any recommendations?

attached is a screenshot of the current image settings in photoshop.
Capture_1.PNG
Capture_1.PNG (811.45 KiB) Viewed 4554 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:00 pm

You need to first purge the original media. See pg. 133-134 of the BGE User Manual.

Then import/place your resized asset.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Heruca, I truly appreciate all your help! If I'm becoming too much of a bother please say so. I have yet another question...

IV.) I've started on dungeon tiles (attached is picture of a typical tile). For the most part, all the tiles are the same size (with a few exceptions). All the tiles have "puzzle piece" edges, but all the puzzle piece connections are the same.
A.) Do you have any recommendations on how to keep the tiles even when scanning them in?
B:) Is there a way I need to edit the tiles in photoshop to enable them to "link" together in the BGE?
Capture_2.PNG
Capture_2.PNG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4551 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:41 pm

You'll probably never achieve a perfect fit, but you can get close. Use "Edit>Free Transform" in Photoshop to line up the straight edges on a horizontal or vertical axis. The ruler, guides, and snap behavior in Photoshop should help achieve good alignment. It looks like the overall size of the pieces works out to even grid square increments, so these might just be usable in BGE with snap-to-grid enabled. Be sure to size them such that they are in 122 pixel per grid square scale.

I'd have picked an easier game for my first port, to learn the basics before getting into tricky bits like this. :P

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:40 am

I got it figured out! It took a bit of tinkering to get the right pixel size for each tile, but I got it - with a pretty damn close fit :) I'll post a screenshot after I scan in a few more tiles. next question...

V.) If you're unfamiliar with the game, dungeon tiles are drawn one at a time by the player that reaches an unexplored edge of a tile during their turn.
A.) I know that there must be a command to draw a single tile (card) from a deck of tiles (or cards) but for the life of me I can only find how to draw 2 cards at a time - what is the correct command?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 am

Use the "Draw Card" command (Shift-S hotkey, see pg. 121). But also read the Draw Card section on pg. 78, to understand the difference.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:19 am

I've gotta say I'm having a fun time learning the software :) Here's what some of the dungeon tiles look like arranged on the game board:
Capture_3.PNG
Capture_3.PNG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4544 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Looks great. Do they still fit well together after rotating the pieces to different orientations?

I'll be away most of the day, but will try to answer any questions tonight.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Yes, they are oriented in the picture. The pieces are actually all scanned in with the arrows on each piece pointing down.

alanhagan111
Soldier

Post by alanhagan111 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:35 am

All right, I'm back with more questions. I've gotten most of my components scanned in and I'd like to play a trial game with what I've done so far. which leads to multiple questions I'm afraid...

VI.) In reading the manual, it appears that some commands only appear for players that are connected to the host.
A.) Is there a way to play a game without hosting a session?
B.) If not, is there a way to host a game and play as all the other characters on the same computer?

VII.) I can tell that the turn sequencer has a lot flexibility! Setting it up seems a little daunting...
A.) There are multiple phases to each players turn:
1.) A hero phase in which the player may: 1.) move and attack, 2.) attack then move, 3.) or move twice
2.) An exploration phase where the player may: 1.) draw a dungeon tile (if they're on an unexplored edge).
3.) A villain phase where the player: 1.)If no new dungeon tile, or a tile with a black arrow is placed draw an encounter card, 2.) If a villain is in play, activate it, and 3.) activate each monster and trap that player controls.
B.) Is it possible to use the turn sequencer to keep track of all these turns and phases or am I misunderstanding how to use the turn sequencer works?
C.) Can the turn sequencer keep track of how many squares a hero has moved and limit it to moving no further than that many squares or is that handled simply by tracking the minis?

Sorry I know it's a lot, but I'm really getting excited about trying it out with my kids and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it all :)

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 am

VI
A. Yes. Just don't host a game session.
B. Play as each of the players in turn.

VII
Have you watched the Turn Sequencer Tutorial video at the bottom of this page?

A1. I'd probably just set up an Action phase, during which players may perform any of the allowed actions.
A2. Set this up on the Turn Sequencer as the "Exploration Phase", whcih can just be skipped if the player is not on an unexplored edge.
A3. Just set this up as a "Villain Phase", and play through it as you would in a face-to-face game.
B. It sure is possible.
C. No, but there is a "Measure Move" feature that counts how many squares you are moving. However, it won't forbid you from moving further, it simply tells you how far you've moved since you invoked the feature. Instructions for this feature are in the "Addendum to BGE User Manual".