A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Halebop

Post by Halebop » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:09 am

Better late than never! :D Welcome!

Scrotok
Cannon Fodder

Post by Scrotok » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 am

Howdy all!

I've known Heruca since 7th grade, been gaming ever since.

- Favorite RPG: GURPS, with D&D a close second
- Favorite wargame: New Empires
- Favorite PC game: NWN

Looking forward to BRPG -- looks awesome!
JP

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 am

Welcome Scrotok! I'm also a fan of NWN.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:47 am

Scrotok, did you know that "New Empires" was replaced by something called "Imperial Starfire"? And that got replaced by "Galactic Starfire".

http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... s/GSF.html

Task Force Games may be gone, but its product lives on.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Scrotok
Cannon Fodder

Post by Scrotok » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:09 am

Cool!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:52 am

Yep NWN is the best roleplaying game I've seen by far. Very customizable with a lot of user-submitted content.
I would use it as a tabletop in fact except that it's too hard to improvise ingame, you need to have everything planned out in the toolset beforehand.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:49 am

You guys should check out Scrotok's NWN module, "Bitter Harvest". There's a WMV "preview trailer" of it here:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Mo ... il&id=3873
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

HuxleyJP
Cannon Fodder

Post by HuxleyJP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 pm

heruca wrote:Welcome, HuxleyJP.

Thanks for the compliments! Trudging into my office at 5 AM can be pretty dreary, but reading your post makes me remember why I'm doing this in the first place.

I'll be setting up preorders later today, I think, and will definitely be putting out the word to the mailing list of registered users.

Where did you hear about this site? What kept you from registering and posting for so long?

Feel free to post a link to the makers of the True20 system on the Links & Resources forum. I'd be curious to see what it's all about.

I found this site after I did an open-ended Google search for "virtual tabletop." I guess I kept myself from registering and posting for so long because for a while the activity on the forums had died down and I wasn't sure if the project was ever going to come to life. Then, by the end of January, things started kicking back up and I became very excited.

Now, I'm still very excited. Thanks for your hard work on this incredible project.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Yeah, January was kinda slow because I had to move to another apartment, and that really ate into my development time. Even now I'm still occasionally having to devote time to setting up the new place.

Scrotok
Cannon Fodder

Post by Scrotok » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:59 pm

All you need is a pile of dirty clothes to sleep on, and electrical power for your computer. Now get to work!

:twisted:

skalla
Cannon Fodder

Post by skalla » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:23 am

Hi Skalla here,

I have been gaming since 1977 with a mixture of roleplaying and miniature games. I have had a Greyhawk campaign since about 1984 running once a week. I am hoping to go high tech, use a projector and allow a remote gamer to join my current group. I have to admit I am a complete novice in doing this. I will let you all know how this works out!!

What language is Battlegrounds being programmed in?

Thanks,
Skalla

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:28 am

Hi Skalla and welcome. That sounds like quite a campaign!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:03 am

Scrotok wrote:All you need is a pile of dirty clothes to sleep on, and electrical power for your computer. Now get to work!

:twisted:
That used to be more or less true. Then I got married.

skalla
Cannon Fodder

Post by skalla » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Except for my time in the Army it has run pretty steady. A couple times we skipped for the summer or had other breaks. The group has changed many times over the years as people moved, got married and had kids. At the moment two of my original group are back and gaming again!!

Also my wife games :shock: .... in fact I met her at a D&D game. She is not as involved as much as she used to but she is happy to have me gaming. She says "That way she knows where to find me"

Skalla
Skalla

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:02 pm

skalla wrote:Also my wife games :shock:
That must be bliss. :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:00 am

Ha yeah I would have trouble dating any girl who doesn't like roleplaying. :roll:
For that and other reasons, it will likely be a long long time before I ever get married :P

Anyway, welcome skalla :!:

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 am

Welcome aboard Skalla ...

Yeah, a wife who plays too, or at least has played, is a veeeery good thing :lol:

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi,

This feels a bit like a AAA meeting, or something, but here goes anyway... :lol:

My name is Andy Gibson and I remember playing pretty sketchy wargames in what must have been 1970-ish. Having heard about D&D in around 1974 friends at school and myself started to concoct our own rules because there was only one shop in the whole of the UK at that point that sold it! Since then I have played just about every flavour of D&D, T&T, C&S, Traveller (several versions), RuneQuest, DragonQuest, P&P, V&V (is this startingto sound 'samey'? :lol: ), Star Wars, Shadowrun, Vampire, Mage, Changeling, GURPS, EPT, Aftermath, Daredevils, Bushido, Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica and my personal favourite, HarnMaster. Plus others I have probably forgotten... :wink:

My original qualification is in Chemical Engineering, but these days I design and configure Business/eBusiness Systems (mainly SAP-based, if that means anything). I still game (and so does my wife!), but distance from gaming friends and the demands of "real life" mean I game less with real people than I used to.

I play in a weekly(ish) on-line HarnMaster game that uses ScreenMonkey, but the map handling in that is a bit of a pain... It was a player in that game that pointed me/us here.

I also play computer games - any wargamers I would point enthusiastically to Paradox Interactive's titles - my current fave is 'Hearts of Iron 2', a game of WWII. All of it. You control a country. It's simply awesome - and a 'stand alone expansion' of it is due out soon (April 4), too!

Other hobbies include archery, hill walking and medieval history.

I think that's about me... Hello!
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Wow, that's a lot of RPG systems, Balesir!

Feel free to add links in the Links & Resouces forum for any products you strongly recommend, like HarnMaster and Hearts of Iron 2 (which sounds very cool).

Archery is an awesome hobby, btw. Do you participate in competitions?

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:36 pm

heruca wrote:Wow, that's a lot of RPG systems, Balesir!
Well, 1974 to now is a long time... :wink:
heruca wrote:Feel free to add links in the Links & Resouces forum for any products you strongly recommend, like HarnMaster and Hearts of Iron 2 (which sounds very cool).
The general situation with Harn is kinda complicated, but here is a good 'introduction' site - and it links to the Forum, too, which is very fine (but you have to register to see any of the good bits, which is why I didn't give the link for that direct).

For Paradox games see here for the forums, from which you can pick up everything else you need.
heruca wrote:Archery is an awesome hobby, btw. Do you participate in competitions?
Not any more. We do what is called 'field archery', which is shooting at targets that are pictures or 3D models of game animals, in rough country settings and at various ranges. It is, IMHO, much more interesting than shooting at a target at a fixed range. I have a hickory and snakewood longbow (beeeautiful!) and a recurve 'Mongol' bow that is fun to shoot. Sadly I don't get to shoot either much, nowadays, 'cos of "real life" (i.e. having to earn some money) :roll: :wink:
Balesir

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Welcome aboard Balesir ... ncie introduction :D

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 am

Hello everyone! My name is James Paese and I live in the land of cheese (and yes, I'm still a Packer fan! :D ) I've been gaming since circa 1978. I was actually introduced to D&D as a research project in my Gifted & Talented program at my school. I've been hooked ever since. I'm not an ubergamer, I'm pretty much just a D&D guy. Although I did used to love Dragonquest and I also had a stint with Shadowrun. I took a big break from gaming around 1994 and just got back into it about 2001 for same reason many do, relationship, career, kids, etc.

I'm currently running a highly modified FR campaign with the 3.5 ruleset. I am a tech-addict so we have a pretty nice set up. I DM using DM Genie (in my opinion one of the best things to ever happen to gaming) on my laptop. I run a dual monitor set up connected to an HP V6121 DLP HD projector and an 8' screen. I also use RPG Soundmixer from my laptop into my twin sub 6.1 home theater system. This makes for some great gaming.

My players are mostly friends, with our total group being 8 players, with 5 of them regulars. In addition to a main campaign, I am also running 2 solo campaigns with players from our main group. One of the unique things about our gaming style is that we use a diceless system. I have DM Genie setup to make every roll necessary in the game. You have no idea how much this speeds up gameplay. As an example, my brother and I ran his solo campaign the other night. It was his character and 2 NPC's against 6 orcs and 3 orogs. It ended up being a 9 round combat. Now granted, it was a solo campaign which by default speeds things up a bunch, but the entire combat with 12 creatures took us less than 30 minutes. My brother thinks it was closer to 20. Even in group campaigns I'm able to make all the actions and rolls and movement for the players about as fast as they can tell me what they're doing. I've taken some heat on other boards for not using those little pieces of plastic, but my players wouldn't have it any other way. I always found it a little weird that people would think that it makes a difference who drops the dice on the table or pushes the random number generator button. To us, they're just the numbers that help us determine our next course of action. I've already "converted" 2 other DM's in my area. The other big advantage of diceless gaming is that it cuts down on metagaming bigtime. Since they never see me rolling any dice they aren't aware of any secret rolls I may be making. The other thing that is unique in our gaming, which is one feature I'm absolutely thrilled about with battlegrounds, is that during combat my players don't know their EXACT HP total. It cuts down on metagaming calculations and my players say it makes them feel more like they are in combat. Being able to use the glowing indicators with Battlegrounds will really add to my combat descriptions.

I'm very excited to see that this program is set up to work so flawlessly with Dundjinni ( I recognizd the art almos instantly :P ). That is the program I use to create/use maps. I haven't posted any of my maps because...well.....they suck. I'm not much of an artist so my encounter maps are fairly simple.

This feels in many ways like the last piece of the puzzle to my high-tech ultimate gaming set up. I can't wait to get my hands on the full version!! :D

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:58 am

Welcome to the the forum James. Nice intro.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:55 am

Welcome aboard James ... :D

Still like to see your maps at the DJ forums :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Welcome, James. Great intro.

Sounds like an incredible set-up you've got. I didn't realize that DM Genie was so useful or that it could so drastically speed up combat. And I'm glad to hear that BRPG will be "the last piece of the puzzle". :D