Introduce yourself

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Signal
Soldier

Post by Signal » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Hiya, just hopped on board. I actually haven't touched a PnP game in over 15 years. I'm currently more of a videogame player but a recent jaunt in DDO's beta made me want to check out DnD 3.5. Unfortunately all the DMs I know live far away and my quest to play tabletop games with them online is what landed me here.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 pm

You're in the right place, Welcome!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 am

Welcome, Signal.

I'm hoping a lot of people find their way back to playing RPGs after a long abscence. One of the main reasons I undertook developing BRPG is to play with my old high school and college buddies, who have all moved away (as did I) and are now scattered halfway across the world.

I'm also hoping that playing online will equate to playing more frequently. Since there isn't travel time to consider anymore, it should be fairly easy to sneak in a couple of hours of gaming throughout the week.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been known by many handles, including Omnidon, Omni, TheCauseMaster, and tru3nigma

I'm a Game Master from central NY, USA

I've been roleplaying since 2nd grade, when I invented a roleplaying system of my own before I ever heard of D&D.

Because I had such pioneer origins, I never became much of a D&D fan. While I have recently acquired a bit more respect for dice systems in general, I still much prefer Freestyle, where the Game Master makes up new rules for each game and dice are rarely used. It forces the players to rely far more heavily on roleplaying instead of resorting to the hack & slash you can more easily get from a video game.

Ever since I became chronicly ill when I was 12 years old, I've had more free time to let my imagination wander. Now at 20, I still am an avid roleplayer. Unfortunately, since I've been fairly housebound, this has kept me from getting together with my players.

I've been resorting to short roleplay-intensive sessions on the phone with a couple of my more dedicated players, but for a long time I have been looking for online visual aids since not everyone I want to play with is as imaginative as I am.
I have Campaign Cartographer and have been considering buying Dundjinni as well, but things like Screen Monkey have simply not been adequate for delivering the visuals quickly and effectively.

Saying that I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Battlegrounds software is an understatement. I've been checking the site once and sometimes twice a day for news ever since I heard of it.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Welcome Omnidon! I'm familiar with that "check the BG forums" feeling!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:37 am

Welcome, Omnidon.

Battlegrounds should work great with a freestyle RPG system. I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations when it's released, and I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to it. It really brightens my day everytime someone says that. :D

Cool avatar, by the way!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:16 am

Welcome aboard Omnidon ... :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:56 am

Thanks ;-)

and yeah, I just animated this avatar recently and decided to try it out here :D

BTW, if anyone wants to chat about roleplaying/fantasy/etc, my contacts are in my profile. I also have teamspeak and Skype.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:06 am

By the way, BRPG can be made to support animated gifs, so perhaps someday we can have animated items, like flickering torches, campfires, water fountains, etc.

The biggest problem is that I've never found high quality art in this format.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 am

Well that's because high quality ones are hard to make, but there are a lot of things that don't need to be high quality.

For example, wouldn't it be great to have your clever theif's portrait winking at you while you play?
And wouldn't it be great to be able to put in blinking buttons for sci-fi settings.

Animated gifs for BRPG a great idea ;-)

Old One
Cannon Fodder

Ola...

Post by Old One » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 am

Greetings Folks,

Old One here. Wargamer since 1972...RPGer since 1981. I have been lurkering and following the development here with interest. I own Fantasy Grounds, but am not really happy with it. BG seems much more intuitive and I like the feature list...just hoping it all comes together.

My main interest is to reconnect me far-flung gaming group from the good old days and to support a PbP Game I currently run.

I am a regular over at EN World and if the program pans out, I am not shy about promoting there. If not...well...let's not worry about that :wink:!

~ OO
Ancient Evil Guy

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 am

Welcome Old One!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 am

Welcome, Old One.

I'm guessing you've got a few years on me. I started playing RPGs and wargames around 1979. How different the gaming industry was back then, eh?

Most of my earliest games came in ziploc bags (Melee, Wizard, Ogre/GEV, Car Wars, Starfire, etc.) and only cost about $5-6 each, if I recall correctly. You can sure see inflation at work when you look back 25+ years.

Richard Weimer
Soldier

Post by Richard Weimer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:39 am

Okay, my turn to introduce myself.

I have been playing wargames since 5-6th grade (back in the early 70's), playing historical boardgames (I still have every Avalon Hill title published in my game closet, which my wife still wonders why the shelves are full of such things).
I started playing D&D my freshman year of college (1978), when I wandered into the basement of one of the buildings at USC (Southern Cal), to meet the "wargaming club"....not much wargaming was happening there (due to D&D already taking over), but I watched as a DM ran players through his campaign and was immediately hooked.
I soon started playing, and started DM'ing by that spring. The game system we played was not pure "D&D", but the 1E books were used as "inspiration material" when they came out.
I have been playing and/or DMing since then (once/week or more other than vacation/holiday breaks). I am currently DMing the Forgotten Realms using the 3.5 Edition rules with the current group; we typically switch DM's every year or so. The family where I play at is "multi-generational"--> the mother, father, and 20-ish year old son play (as well as other regulars who have been attending off/on for years now).
I am getting my 10 year old son interested in playing as well. I have been a member of the RPGA since the early 80's, and he has recently joined. We play at local conventions (playing the Living Greyhawk campaign in the Kingdom of Nyrond), and also at a local gaming store for a monthly gaming day. He is doing quite well, and has received several compliments on his game-playing, so dad is quite proud.
What I am looking for Battleground to support is 2 things:
1) One of my favorite players has recently moved back to his home town (Toronto, which is quite far from Arizona, where I live). He is trying to run a campaign remotely, and we are exploring several possible choices for helping support online gaming.
2) I run my campaign with a laptop during my gaming session (using a program called "DM Genie", which I love and use heavily for campaign and game session bookkeeping/management)). Since I have a laptop already there, we recently acquired a projector, which I was able to attach to the roof of the game room where we play. However, I have not found a good program to allow easy means of "fog of war", hiding/showing items such as secret doors, traps, etc., and other "real-time"-type updates. I attempted to use Screen Monkey, but it was quite tedious to use, and was not being updated/supported n a proper timely manner.
I am hoping that Battlegrounds will allow both of these game modes to be supported. So far, it has shown a lot of possibilities.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:44 am

Welcome aboard Old One and Richard ... :D

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:22 am

Hi Richard, big intro! Welcome. :D

Stuart
Sergeant

Post by Stuart » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi all ... Kepli will nag if I don't introduce ...
Started RPG-ing in the early/mid 70's in the UK with a game that eventually evolved into Tunnels and Trolls and then vanished when TSR's monstrous tentacles thrashed their way into the UK. Since then ... pretty much everything from almost every genre but I keep returning to axe-wielding barbarians ... minor flirtations with book hugging paranoiacs (Cthulu).

I hope this system allows me to play my fave system (Rolemaster) which FG currently does not ...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Welcome, Stuart.

I think I still have a copy of T&T stashed away here somewhere. And I'm a former RM/MERP player, too. I love GURPS now, but I kinda miss those open-ended rolls and crit tables.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Welcome Stuart!

I think a key feature of BRPG is that it will let you play almost any system, including D20. I'll almost exclusively be using it for D&D 3.5 but I don't really care what D&D specific rules are supported as long as the core gaming haves are catered to: Visuals, Sounds, Communications, Dice (and dare I say it, Simplicity).

Extra stuff tends to become system specific so hopefully good design will allow a degree of customizability for those who need the bells and whistles too. I like some of the stuff Heruca and others have talked about in this regard but concede that wants and needs rapidly fragment at this point.

HuxleyJP
Cannon Fodder

Post by HuxleyJP » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Hello. I've been following this product eagerly since December and figured it was about time I registered here and introduced myself. Suffice to say I can't wait and I think the work you have done (from what I've seen on screens and the demo) is absolutely fantastic. As a True20 player I have not been able to find a tabletop that has the features I want without tieing me to a system I don't use.

So, as the product is hopefully nearing its release just wanted to let you know that you have my support and the support of my game group. We don't mind paying a few bucks for a great product. If you decide to do a preorder, send an email to the forum users or something letting me know. In the meantime, I'll be keeping a close eye on this site.

I honestly can't say enough how excited I am for the release of this product. My big mouth will do a decent job of getting the word out.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:41 pm

Welcome HuxleyJP. Heruca will appreciate any support your "big mouth" can muster. We're all eagerly awaiting the release date as well!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 am

Welcome, HuxleyJP.

Thanks for the compliments! Trudging into my office at 5 AM can be pretty dreary, but reading your post makes me remember why I'm doing this in the first place.

I'll be setting up preorders later today, I think, and will definitely be putting out the word to the mailing list of registered users.

Where did you hear about this site? What kept you from registering and posting for so long?

Feel free to post a link to the makers of the True20 system on the Links & Resources forum. I'd be curious to see what it's all about.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am

Welcome aboard HuxleyJP :D

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 am

Firgured after pestering Heruca I really should introduce myself.

Been roleplaying since the mid-90s mainly Shadowrun and D&D with a little bit of Rifts thrown in there.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:00 am

31 posts and *now* you're introducing yourself? :lol: