greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Welcome Torq.

TredH20
Cannon Fodder

Hello everyone

Post by TredH20 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:50 pm

New to the community here. Been thinking of jumping back into DnD - been out of it for a long time. I started playing 1st edition with my older brother in the 80's and then moved into 2nd edition. Had my own campaign and a great group of regulars that met very regularly to play. Once college hit, we all went our seperate ways and scattered all across the state - and now the country. I get together with a few friends maybe once a year now - for a marathon 12-14 hour session. We've moved to 3.0 rules - but because we play so infrequently - most of the sessions are spent remembering the rules and remembering what the heck happened last time we played! Definitely not the ideal situation, and I miss playing.

I am looking to rekindle the ol' fire and get the "band" back together, as the Blue Brother's would say. I am excited about the potential that Battlegrounds has in bridging the distances between the old group that use to play in high school and myself. Also may get my brother playing again as well. I think a few hours a week online with this virtual tabletop as opposed to a once a year grind of a session will prove much more successful!

I haven't purchased the full version yet - still working within the demo myself to get the hang of it - then going to connect with a few buddies and run a couple of quick encounters. The amount and variety of free maps and objects/figures available online is incredible! But I am also thinking of ordering up DunDjinni to make custom maps.

I've been reading the forums here gleaning as much info as possible! But I just want to say thanks for making such a great program available. This has been what I have been looking for!

Chris

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Welcome, TredH20.

I hope BRPG gets you playing again with your old buds. I love it when that happens.

If you have any questions about how things work, ask away. It can be hard catching up with all the old posts, so don't worry if you ask something that's been asked before.

I recommend using voice chat in conjunction with BRPG, particularly with groups like yours, where everyone already knows everybody's voice, so that it's easy to figure out who said what. Assuming you all have mics and speakers, of course (or better yet, headsets).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Fumbliah
Cannon Fodder

Post by Fumbliah » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Hey folks Fumbliah here. I have been playing PnP D&D on and off for 22 years. I saw this and fell in love with it. I'll be asking some questions so be patient :-)
Fumby

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Welcome Fumby ;-)

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Welcome aboard Fumbliah.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Welcome, Fumbliah.

We're here to answer whatever questions you may have. Thanks for introducing yourself.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard all you new BRPG gamers ... hope you all have a great time here and with BRPG :wink:

Cisticola
Sergeant

Post by Cisticola » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:03 am

Hi folks :)

Started playing D&D back in the 80's....stopped when I joined the army...left...put myself through university.....am now an Consultant Ecologist.

20 odd years later...I decided to dust off my old copies of D&D (1st ed)...and not looked back since :D

Spend my days making maps, and posting them on the Dundjinni forums, and DMing a game most weekends...currently 'Age of Worms'.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 am

Welcome, Cisticola.

Always nice to see a master mapper from the DJ forums join up here. 8)

Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself. Now that the thread has been bumped, perhaps more people will do the same.

Varl
Sergeant

Post by Varl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I just realized I never introduced myself. My name isn't Varl obviously, but I've been gaming and DMing AD&D since April 1980, I enjoy using mapping programs such as BRPG, Dundjinni, and CC3 to aid in my gaming sessions, and for 6 years now I've been a co-founder of Shadowpool Studios, a MMO development company trying to get its first title created.

When I'm not gaming, I enjoy reading, watching hockey, sci-fi and fantasy films, going to new movies, and game design.
“...I saw some children talking about whether they liked radio or television, and I asked one little boy why he preferred radio, and he said, ‘Because the pictures are so much better.’" -Gary Gygax

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Just noticed this thread and decided I should say Hi. Like a lot of people here I started out with D&D back in the early eighties. Pretty much gave up on playing RPGs when I was in my late teens but I did keep buying and reading the occasionally interesting product. Mostly I went in for board games and mini games because it was easier to find players that didn't scare me! Played a lot of FASA's Battletech and Rengade Legion along with different things from Games Workshop.

Right now I'm heavily involved in a game called Armies of Arcana that's a large scale miniature wargame. Similar in style to Warhammer. In fact a lot of our players are people that got tired of GW's rules and still wanted to play with their models. I found BRPG because I was looking for a way to connect with other AoA players around the world and maybe get a few games in. It's not much fun being a wargamer in a small town :cry: Friends move away and not many people come back into the area to fill the gap.

I'm still learning about BRPG's capabilities but so far I'm very impressed and think that with a little work I'll have the kind of program that I want. Then I'll just need to harrass my distant friends to play :)

Nerfed2Hell
Sergeant

Post by Nerfed2Hell » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 am

Hey everyone.

I've nosed around this forum and software once before awhile back when it was first introduced, but the idea of starting the virtual tabletop gaming thing never went far with my group. Now the 5 of us are spread out over 3 non-adjoining states, so its this or abandon the old campaign and each look for new groups to join.

Batllegrounds is looking awesome and I'm in the process of trying to convince everyone to take the old game online for the small licensing fee. Definitely looking positive so far.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 am

Welcome, Nerfed2Hell.

If you're going to try a test session with your group to try to sell them on the idea, I'd suggest you wait 2 or 3 days until BRPG v1.2a is released. The additional features and bug fixes are bound to help make a better first impression.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:41 am

Nerfed2Hell wrote:Batllegrounds is looking awesome and I'm in the process of trying to convince everyone to take the old game online for the small licensing fee.
Compared to the cost of figures, and snacks and drinks, and the travel that usually accompanies F2F games, the licensing fee is really small, but it seems to be more likely to be one people fret over.

Also strikes me that if someone is always a GM, then the cost of the lot may be worthwhile to that person because they can use it with any group they GM with F2F included (players don't have to look or move their own figures if they don't want to :wink: ).

Nerfed2Hell
Sergeant

Post by Nerfed2Hell » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:41 am

Cool. Will do.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:18 pm

hi i am brian. i have been playing PnP rpg's since 1983 and only just discovered you can play them online too (talk about slow). I started out with DnD boxed sets then on to ADnD (i think 1st ed but im not sure). Moved on to GURPS in 1988 and now it is my system of choice for just about every thing.
i am hoping to re unite a few of my PnP players through the internet (i know live at the other end of the country) and maybe join a new group or two. Cant wait to teach fb66junior to play gurps but at 6 months old i may have a wait till then any one fancy a GURPS game?
I am still learning BG but so far i am impressed with the software and with the customer service levels from Heruca. keep up the good work :)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:11 am

Welcome aboard Brian ... :D

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi Brian,

Welcome the Battlegrounds "club".
We're like the SAS (read GSG9, Delta Force, any other elite but small force) of VT communities, growing rapidly from humble beginnings, with a charismatic, strong leader and a single aim, to strike at the heart of the online VT experience using the very best equipment (read Battlegrounds) and 24/7 high ground support (read Heruca, unless he's on baby duty).

Seriously though, welcome.

Wow! Ready for my nap.
Baz.
As Einstein once said... did you let the cat out Mileva?

MarkSimms
General

Late to Introduce Myself

Post by MarkSimms » Sat May 31, 2008 11:07 am

Hi all who venture to the sounds of the Clubhouse new explorers! I have been dipping in-and-out of battlegrounds consoiuness for a few months, and FINALY I could wait no longer, I jumped head first into the pit of my pocket and Purchased Battlegrounds.

As I now was armed with the Best Online adventure software(it realy is), I opened the books I obtained a while back from a book store near by with resnoble fees. I decided on the players guide! and stayed up night and Day untill I understood it, it took some forays into the Basic game and rereeds, but now I know! I Know what all of you dwelers in the RPG world are doing there! Ive never seen a game of such depth and interest, Ill never return to normal gameing again.

I will stay in the D&D3.5 domain for some time, and would seek out a whizzard DM of extreme kindness who will guide me through the first D&D dungeon. I am interested in the Book of knoledge D&D3.5 and later the forth edition as this is the universal language known everywhere around the D&D world.

I work from home and have time to absorb the magical writtings and mix with the best DMs at any time to suit. Im not old but im not young! I will confront the Battlegrounds interface on a regular basis to find any PMs ariveing. I now feel able to act in a D&D3.5 world as a charector with a thirst for knowledge, will you travel a way with me? or will you just flicker in the electrons of the internet, and use inferior software!

I wont sign My name here as you will soon hear my stories of great spectacluar feats.

Muttley
Cannon Fodder

Hiya

Post by Muttley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:27 am

Introducing myself. I'm from Cardiff, Wales. I moved here from New Zealand two months ago. Was looking for a suitable virtual D&D program since I don't particularly want to fork out a monthly fee for D&D Insider. Once I get settled into my job and have regular hours, I will look to join a game. Preferably with others from the UK, for time zone regions, but more than happy to join an different campaign if times gel. My preferred game is D&D. I have copies of 3rd edition sitting at home I got on the cheap from my old DM when 4th came out. Have recently bought all the 4th ed books. My favorite class to play would be Rogue. I prefer a game that is more RP to hack and slash. As long as its balanced. rouges to me have always been skill based, so when I play its nice to used those skills. Anyways enough rambling. I look forward to having some interesting discussions on these boards.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:28 am

Welcome, Muttley.

A number of BRPG users are from the UK, so hopefully you'll be able to find a spot in one of their games.

Did you have to leave behind any gamer friends in New Zealand? Is the timezone difference too great to game with them?

Muttley
Cannon Fodder

Post by Muttley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 am

Yer left a few there. Its 12 hours difference so not too bad if we gamed on a weekend or summat. just need to convince them to pull finger.

johnwyp
Cannon Fodder

Post by johnwyp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Haven't read any of the posts in this thread so I've no idea what you all are saying about yourselves.

I'm John. I'm DM'g a D&D 4e game with some friends of mine. We just jumped back in to D&D after 20+ years. It's been fun and has brought back some fond memories.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Welcome, johnwyp.

Most people don't even bother to post here, so you're already above par. :wink:

Is D&D 4E what brought you back into RPGs after all this time?