Introduce yourself

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:41 am

Welcome to the crowd ;-)
Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance in your playtesting or just want to chat.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:13 am

Welcome Kor, good to have anohter MMOer here.

Marines make some of my favorite students and co-workers, you are all crazy. :)
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Venger
General

Greetings

Post by Venger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:00 pm

Hello All

I have just discovered Battlegrounds on a web search.

Im an old guy, and have been playing D&D and MERP since the late 70's and still going strong

I have a regular, at least 3 weekends a month gaming group
I have been using Campaign Cartographer to do similar techniques at a regular Tabletop game
I have also tried OpenRPG, which I find to be rather clunky

I connect a TView video converter to my laptop and we can view maps and E-Miniatures on a large TV screen and that has enhanced our gameplay dramatically. The part we like especially is the ability to have a HUGE game map, no limitations to the physical size of the game table
Also the ability to run several maps at once, aka, if the party gets split up, we dont have to keep swapping the "paper" map out and re-setting up

But it looks like Battleground will have many of the features that I cannot easily do with CC.

One of them is FoW.
I d/l the demo and am playing around with it. Its kind of frustrating at times, but it shows much promise and I wont have any qualms about buying this product, esp when I read the real version is much more developed than the Demo.

I will keep up with this development, esp since it is something I can REALLY use

I should ask... does purchasing the Pre-Order allow me to get a production Beta and updates of this product?

I can even volunteer as a Beta tester and put this puppy to work right away

I can also begin to submit maps if you guys want them. They are not as WOW as Rick Ricci's are but Im using some of GMSyndicate's stuff along with Campaign Cartographer to make maps

Well met

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Welcome, Venger.

Does your TView just mirror what's on the laptop screen, or can you show your players a different image altogether? I ask because if it only mirrors, you'll need to ask you players to look away on occasion while you do secret GM stuff, especially if you're using the Fog of War features.

Be sure to let me know (in the feedback section of the forum) what you're finding frustrating in BRPG. I can think of quite a few things myself, so don't be shy.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm

The best way to get access to the "developer's version" is to be a strong participant on these forum, post bug reports, submit feature ideas, and otherwise show that you're eager to help improve the program. On occasion, my usual crew is unavailable, so I'll post a request for volunteers asking for additional help, and I tend to pick people with a GM Client license, since they can fully test things that way.

Also, let us know if you have any particular skills that might be useful (graphics, mapmaking, QA experience, whatever).

As for sharing your maps, I recommend rpgmapshare.com, since I currently don't have an easy way for users to upload pictures here. So perhaps post them there, then post a link here to let people know about it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Battlegrounds

Post by Venger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm

TView only mirrors what is on the laptop's screen.

The TView has a DB15 SVGA port which plugs into the laptop's external monitor port.

Then there is a keystroke on the laptop I can switch the external monitor off while I have to do DM stuff on the laptop. When I switch the external monitor on, I still have screen on my laptop so I work from the laptop screen

We game on Sundays, so we have a running joke... we get togehter on Sundays watch the "game" on TV heheh

what a kool thing Battlegrounds looks like it will be

Ok I will post the things I have had some troubs with, but mostly it was getting the thing installed. There were a lot of files that would not unzip so I probably dont have all of the resources. I get script errors

Thanks, this is looking great

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Greetings

Post by Omnidon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:58 pm

Hail and well met friend Venger!
Venger wrote:I read the real version is much more developed than the Demo.
Actually, the only limitations in the demo currently are a 45-minute timeout and a limit on the amount of units that can be saved in an encounter.

As heruca mentioned, BRPG is in constant (and extremely rapid) development. It's constantly acquiring new features and can be expected to gain many more, many of which are listed in my Suggestion Summary.

heruca is a hard worker and manages to make tremendous progress, but we are short on bug testers atm and would greatly appreciate your help. He will listen and reply to everything you say, unlike any developer I've seen. You could easily influence the future of BRPG and help us make it better!

Venger
General

Awesome

Post by Venger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Well met Omnidon

I like what I see so far.

I purchased BRPG, and am currently playing with it's features, and re-thinking the way I do mapping.

Especially with the advent of CC3 and it's ability to work with alpha channels and .png's it has given us CC users some real power when it comes to creating beautiful and useful maps

I think I will begin to adapt things for Tabletop use using BRPG. My CC mapping techniques have sometimes been sprawling across hundreds of feet of map area. In some maps, literally miles, through unexplored forest mazes, across swamps, etc etc.

With those maps I dont map out every 5' hex, but rather in hundreds of feet per hex, then if an encounter occurs I pull up a generic forest map on a tactical scale of 5' per hex

Because of vector based format of CC, the maps have been small.
To create a bitmap with that number of playable hexes would make a huge bitmap, and Im guessing would be slow to deal with, especially with special effects added in.

But as an alternative I could create a sprawling map in CC, then "slice" them into smaller map sections by rendering small secions at a time as a number of maps, and pull up the 'next' or 'previous' map in the gamer's path as needed.

My next game session is this Sunday and I will introduce BRPG to the guys.
If we get the time I might make up a map just for poking and prodding BRPG.

If it does well, and when we are done with this current scenario, I will try mapping the next scenario in BRPG using CC3 as the map generation and BRPG as the game interface

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Just so you know, you can still use your CC2 overland maps in BRPG, perhaps with a generic token to mark the party's location, and snap-to-grid turned off.

I don't recommend trying to run an actual game session with your players before taking a little time to acquaint them with how the software works.

Venger
General

I agree

Post by Venger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:35 pm

I agree absolutely. I want to show it to the guys

I am reading the docs and playing with the features. But the real bread and butter is at the game table.

I will intoduce BRPG this Sunday

In the mean time I am going to draw a CC map contained within 33x43 hexes and see what it will take to snuggle it into BRPG
Thats a good number of hexes to work with.

I have Adobe Photoshop so will be able to try to resize it as necessary to fit the 61 pixels per cell

As of this moment, there are some unanswered questions regarding the hexes.
I just sent my challenge code, and hoping to look at how hexes are rendered.

in CC you can start hexes either Horizontally or vertically oriented, and also odd or even, as far as the placement of the first hex.
How are they rendered in BRPG?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:44 pm

BRPG has map sizing tools to stretch or squeeze a map to whatever cell dimensions you need, but it's best to use a graphics-editing app if you have one, to avoid sending unnecessarily large images to your players.

I believe the max hexgrid size is now 40 x 46, if you need to go a bit larger.

BRPG currently only supports hexgrids with flat sides facing due east & west, so you may need to rotate your map in a graphics app first.

I'll send you your Response code in a few minutes.

aegean
Soldier

Post by aegean » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Hi - i'm already know to some of you (Kep, Heruca) from Dundjinni and GMSparlor when it had a chat room (and before i spat my dummie out :? )

Surprised with myself for not posting here before

would love to use BG but my biggest problem is being the furthest east (Turkey) to get a good game, or being in weird countries with my job.

Anyway, to those that don't know me , i'm Aegean (Ae)

Yim me if you wish a chat when boredem takes over

Ae
"No, the fat one says he can deal with his problem, then explodes....."

afterserenity
Cannon Fodder

Post by afterserenity » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:45 pm

Hello all,

I just discovered this site while searching around for online gaming aids. I do use Dundjinni, but have not actually created maps that I have used yet.

I am one of the co-hosts of the After Serenity podcast which covers gaming in the Firefly/Serenity 'Verse. We have recently started to podcast our online gaming of the Out in the Black module, and I was looking for some good software to display maps and tokens with. Battlegrounds seems quite good, and one of our users uses Win 98 *shudder* so this software may work there as well.

I will be trying out the software soon, thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Welcome, Afterserenity.

Let me know what your impressions are of the software once you've had a chance to try it out properly.

Be sure to check out the sci-fi section on rpgmapshare.com for great graphics you can use in a Serenity BRPG game.

I imagine you're already familiar with this site?
http://www.awtry.com/rpg/Welcome.html
There are some spectacular deck plans and other maps there that would be indispensable in a Serenity VT game.

afterserenity
Cannon Fodder

Post by afterserenity » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:54 pm

Yep, definitely familiar with that site. It has great stuff, but I have to watch out for the items that have home rules (like adding +4 instead of 2 die steps), since the campaign I run, runs at conventions. Great stuff though.
After Serenity - Roleplaying in the living Serenity 'Verse
http://www.afterserenity.com

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:00 pm

afterserenity wrote:I am one of the co-hosts of the After Serenity podcast which covers gaming in the Firefly/Serenity 'Verse.
ARGH! :x

Every time I think about the cancellation of this show it ticks me off. Seriously, one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever made.

Anyway, I just realised that I never posted to this thread...

So, like...

Hi and stuff.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:40 pm

Bump, because not a single person has introduced themselves in 2007. :(

Alynnalizza
Captain

Post by Alynnalizza » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Can people who've been around awhile post here to introduce themselves ;).

Cause I haven't done that officially yet. :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Absolutely!

Alynnalizza
Captain

Post by Alynnalizza » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:41 pm

:D

Okay then, here we go.

As many of you I came here from the Dundjinni site. I use to do a lot of maps and images. Though as of the last 2 years or so, I've been very sporadic. With the recent events having hit me hard as well.

Thankfully though, I have a very supportive better half, and she insists I get back into map making, art, adventure making, and writing in general. So I have decided (with a push ;) ) to get back into the RPG hobby.

Want to know a little bit about me, and even see my ugly mug. Feel free to check out AsgardNorth.com and check out the About Me section.

AsgardNorth is a 'company' I've started to consolidate my works. While I will have 'products' there I really just do it for the fun. (though I never shy away from donations. lol.)

I have many projects in the queue, and have some more time now to complete them. So stay tuned for such items as...

Book of NPC's (d20 D&D)
Interesting Locales (Maps, and files for use with VGT's)
Adventures (PDF and Battlegrounds ready... (and maybe a few other VGT's))
and as always more Art/Tokens/etc.

So you'll be seeing more from me in the coming days/weeks/ and months.

Until, Well met all, and I look forward to chatting with anyone that would like it. :D

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:06 pm

A belated welcome aboard Alynnalizza.

The site is coming along nicely. It looks like you have a lot on your plate. 8) I look forward to the stories of the mythical moose. I don't see any campaign being successful without one. :lol:

I could have sworn there was a forum on your site last time I was there or maybe I am just going nutty. :P

I am in the final throws of my own site and will definitely have some linkage to Asgard North on it.

Keep up the great work.

Alynnalizza
Captain

Post by Alynnalizza » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Thank you. Yeah there is a lot on my plate to get done, but luckily, most of it was already at leat 25% done ;).

There was a forum, but I had to yank it down temporarily. I hope to have it back up soonish.

Can't wait to see your site. Should be great.
greytale wrote:A belated welcome aboard Alynnalizza.

The site is coming along nicely. It looks like you have a lot on your plate. 8) I look forward to the stories of the mythical moose. I don't see any campaign being successful without one. :lol:

I could have sworn there was a forum on your site last time I was there or maybe I am just going nutty. :P

I am in the final throws of my own site and will definitely have some linkage to Asgard North on it.

Keep up the great work.
Asgardnorth.net & Asgardnorth.com , 2 sources for your Fantasy Needs. Com for freebies, Net for commercial items. Stop by and take a look.

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm

My site has been in the works for about a year. I never really committed to it until recently. Since I have been having joint problems and can't draw for any great length of time :cry: , I have been doing about a half hour a night on the website and it is just about done. Though my wife says I will be nitpicking it for years. :P

I took a quick peek at your "Not all Rumors" and should be easy to convert to my new favorite game "Castles and Crusades". Ohhh happy day :D

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi all.

Came by here some time back on one of my many trawls for free art to add to my dungeon maps that I do using the GIMP. Used Klooge as a VT for some years but got a bit frustrated. Then checked out a number of programs and narrowed it down to BG and FG. To be honest BG just looks better and suits the kind of F2F game I'm running.

I hope to add a few maps, mainly dungeon floor plans, in the near future. I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

Torq
The internet, it'll never catch on.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Welcome, Torq.

Looking forward to seeing your GIMP maps, and hope that you'll also post feedback on how BRPG can be improved, particularly from a F2F gamer's perspective.