Post by Farland » Mon May 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Damn it! I did it again. I apologize. :x
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Searchin'
Cannon Fodder

Post by Searchin' » Mon May 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Thanks folks.

Can I just say how pleased I am with the return to hex grids? Good classic old school hex grids.

AVJax
Cannon Fodder

Hey all

Post by AVJax » Sun May 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Just wanted to say Hi. I am totally looking forward to the release of this product. Myself and a group of friends used to play regularly but since we now all have famillies the time just isn't there.

However our partners are much more understanding of us being on the computer for a couple of hours than dissappearing books in hand for the entire evening. So we have been looking for a way to move our D&D games online. This seems to be the perfect answer.

We plan to use it with Team speak and perhaps in the future with webcams just to keep it real... :)

Good luck on the final stages of development I shall we waiting with CC in hand.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Cool. Welcome to the "club" AVJax! :wink:

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon May 08, 2006 7:18 am

Welcome aboard AVJax :D

Tralfas
Cannon Fodder

Post by Tralfas » Mon May 15, 2006 7:24 pm

New to here today. I won't post details on how I plan to use Battlegrounds as I've already gone into it in the FAQ section and had some questions. So I will only say that I won't be using it in the traditional online manner, but only for table top games with the players seeing their 'session' on a projector/TV, and the GM on the laptop screen.

Hoping that Battlegrounds can cover what I want to do easily and make interactive battles more fun and free up some valuable table space.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Welcome, Tralfas.

What game system/s are you hoping to use BRPG with?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tralfas
Cannon Fodder

Post by Tralfas » Mon May 15, 2006 7:42 pm

We have weekly revolving GMs where we play:

DnD 3.5
Hero System (in both Champions and Fantasy Hero genres)
Runequest 2

I run a Dnd 3.5 and the Runequest 2 games. So this will be used in them for sure (given a way to make maps on the fly quickly). But using it in the Hero system based games would also work quite well from what I can see, but the GMs for those sessions are much less computer friendly. Hopefully they will see the flexibility this gives and 'come to the dark side'. :D

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue May 16, 2006 6:34 am

Welcome aboard Tralfas :D

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Sun May 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Hello, All!

We have a gaming group that meets twice a month (as much as family lifes and events permit : ) to play:

DnD 3.5 (currently an Eberron campaign)

I am very much looking forward to BRPG to use it offline in our "face-to-face" gaming sessions. I plan to use it as "digital floor tiles" for display of the map of their character's locations and giving the players an idea of what their character's can "see" (using the built-in figure vision capabilities of BRPG).

I am toying with the idea of embedding an LCD monitor in the middle of our gaming table (covered with plexiglas) which will allow the players to place their physical miniatures on digital maps using BRPG's grid. . . .maps from Dundjinni, of course. . . .
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun May 21, 2006 11:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Kilgar.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 21, 2006 11:51 pm

kilgar wrote:I am toying with the idea of embedding an LCD monitor in the middle of our gaming table (covered with plexiglas) which will allow the players to place their physical miniatures on digital maps using BRPG's grid. . . .maps from Dundjinni, of course. . . .
A few things you'd need to be careful about with that: a sturdy protective layer for the screen that isn't too thick, and picking an LCD display with a decent viewing angle, since everyone will be looking at it off-center (many LCDs have color-shifts and look considerably dimmer when viewed from an angle). The other issue is that of course you'd need to move all the miniatures every time you scroll the map (but it sounds like you might be planning on using small maps showing one or two rooms at a time, so map scrolling might not be needed).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

garrion_sw
Cannon Fodder

Post by garrion_sw » Mon May 22, 2006 1:11 am

Hello, Garrion here and just saying Hi. Heruca asked me to drop by and so here I am.

A little background. I have played with several virtual tabletop programs and each has its pros and cons. I used to play your standard D&D fare but started to grow tired of it. I moved over to EQrpg and it gave me a little something different with the d20 core. I still have an EQrpg camp but it is on hold at the moment, but my real passion is in a not so well known system called The Riddle of Steel.

I have been playing this system for a few years but groups are hard to come by. Even harder to come by is a good program to play it on. The real trick lies in support for the dice system it uses and most other programs seem to be geared towards your standard d20 roller. This system is much like WoD and uses a pool of dice that is rolled against a target number. The result is not a total of the dice but the number of individual die that met or exceeded the target number.

That is why I am here. I hope to play with BattleGrounds and give any feedback that may be helpful. Thanks for the invite.

Garrion

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Mon May 22, 2006 2:00 am

Welcome Garrion!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 22, 2006 2:59 am

Welcome, Garrion.

I have to say that the little I've read so far about The Riddle of Steel is intriguing. Perhaps you can start a thread on it sometime.

It sounds like some enhancements to the BRPG dice roller might be in order, to better support systems that use dice pools. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

hjorhrafn
Cannon Fodder

Post by hjorhrafn » Sat May 27, 2006 3:32 am

Howdy;

I started "gaming" when I was 13. (I'm 27 now). I saw the old 3-ring binder "Monstrous Compendium" and fell in love. The problem was, I lived in a small town up until 2 years ago, and NOBODY else played. That didn't keep me from spending WAY too much money on various games. DnD, Battletech, Shadowrun, World of Darkness, and more, I bought it. Finally, less than a year ago, my girlfriend and I found another couple that gamed. For 4 months, things were great. I ran an Eberron campaign, someone first ran "Amber" and then Heros.

And then, the gf and I had to move to a small town in Quebec. Goodbye gaming; hello me staring wistfully at the stack of game books that are taller than me.

I'd given up hope of playing until I moved again, but with this, it looks like my old group is back together, WITH the addition of another couple. I plan on resurrecting my Eberron campaign, and I hope to get my friend to start his Hero campaign again.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 27, 2006 4:13 am

Welcome, hjorhrafn.

That's awesome if BRPG can get you playing with your old group again. That's certainly what I hope to get out of it, once it's done. :D

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:32 am

Hi all,
I have been fumbling around on the forums a few days now before I got around to posting and intro, sorry for any breach in etiquette.

My name is Jixxala. I am one of the leaders for Pegasus Foundation. We are a multi game guild speciallizing in MMORPGs. We have recently branched out into some select FPS and RTS games as well. Still many of us remember our roots with good ol PnP gaming.

As for me I began playing D&D in grade school. Not to age myself, but I bought the original box set and first addition when it was new. Somewhere after 2.0 (+) I kind of lost interest in buying the new and latest books for any gamestyle. Oh, I still love to look at the stuff, but I modify everything so heavily it is unfair to call it AD&D, GURPS, Vampire whatever. I like the RPing and the stats are all fluid IMO.

A couple of years ago my players assualted me and insisted I put some things down into a book and seek to publish it. Well, I have some things written now, but I don't know about publishing it, the market is full enough. If that was not bad enough for me, my job has taken me to a part of the world where RPGs are not very common. Most of my players and friends are a continent away. I like to travel, but the weekly gaming sessions are out of the question now ... wellllll without a program like BRPG that is.

I have sought a program like this for a while now. My wife even considered modifying our website to support some kind of system. In the end I think this program will do what I want it to do.

So far I have been very impressed with the program, the developer(s) and this community. I look forward to getting to know more people here and hope I can contribute.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:09 am

Glad to have you with us Jixxala!

I too went so far as considering modifying a website to support roleplaying, but short of some heavy flash scripting (which is similar to heruca's Director software in essence), it didn't seem feasible.
Jixxala wrote:I like the RPing and the stats are all fluid IMO.
Heheh yeah, it's always nice to see more people who look at it that way. I usually avoid stats like the plague, but sometimes players' minds are too organizational and competative to go by pure roleplay, so I'm forced to use stats.

Rather than going all-out with a rigid system like D&D or using something my players and I arn't comfortable with, I just customize a brand new loose stat system whenever needed. It's far less work than learning a new version of D&D, and it's much more fun.

I'd be interested in hearing what ideas you've had for your systems even if you don't publish them ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:48 am

How embarrasing! :oops:

I try to make a habit of welcoming everyone that registers the first time they post, and in your case, I forgot. So....

Welcome!
Jixxala wrote:A couple of years ago my players assualted me and insisted I put some things down into a book and seek to publish it. Well, I have some things written now, but I don't know about publishing it, the market is full enough
If your system has something new to offer which other systems don't, and if it's been well received by people you've shown it to, you should consider publishing it. In this day and age, self-publishing is easier than ever.

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:07 am

I agree with heruca on getting out your work. You can buy a store account over on E.N. World cheap (I got one on sale for $50 US--hope to have my first products on in September) and at least get out a PDF to see how folks take to it. I'm a first-timer right now on getting a PDF out for sale, so I'll be happy to share any bumps I have along the road. You're not going to make tons of cash, most likely, but just sharing my work is going to be enough for me...though I'll take some extra cash if it comes along! :lol:
<>< ;^)

Kalan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Kalan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:20 am

Greetings an all that Jazz :D

Name's Kalan - I hail from other places - namely the FG forums and the Four Ugly Monsters forums, and thought I'd pop on over to see how ya'll do things on the other side of the fence ;)

Mainly I'm here cuz of Heruca's excellent promotion of this product, and his cajones to post links to competitors on his own product's homepage! This proves to me at least that he truly believes in his product, and I may "cross the floor" over to BG for this very reason.

And I'd be interested to hear your experiences in PDF retailing erian_7 as I too am in the process of producing game supplements...so any advice you may have in this area for others wishing to pursue their dreams would be MUCH appreciated!

But I've rambled on enough...peace all!

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:29 pm

erian_7 wrote:I agree with heruca on getting out your work. You can buy a store account over on E.N. World cheap (I got one on sale for $50 US--hope to have my first products on in September) and at least get out a PDF to see how folks take to it. I'm a first-timer right now on getting a PDF out for sale, so I'll be happy to share any bumps I have along the road. You're not going to make tons of cash, most likely, but just sharing my work is going to be enough for me...though I'll take some extra cash if it comes along! :lol:
Thanks, I would be very interested in what you have experienced so far with this. I will send you a PM. As for making money, I like you, just want to share my work. On the other hand, it has been my experience that people often confuse priceless and worthless, so charging a small fee makes them appriciate it. Sad but true. Secondly, I live in a country that a few USD here and there could pay rent, so every little bit helps. :)

Thanks for all the support. :)
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Those of you interested in selling PDF products might want to listen to this podcast. I found it pretty interesting.

[url]feed://www.lpjdesign.com/rss.xml[/url]

Kalan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Kalan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:18 pm

heruca wrote:Those of you interested in selling PDF products might want to listen to this podcast. I found it pretty interesting.

[url]feed://www.lpjdesign.com/rss.xml[/url]
Is there a non feed:// link mate? My poor firefox (mind I'm at work too...don't wanna chance too much) don't wanna be openin this link :(