Introduce yourself

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Arimmus
Captain

Post by Arimmus » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:51 am

Well I have yet to introduce myself! Name is Chris but i mostly go by Arimmus.

I have been playing D&D since i was 8 years old! mind you thatss not a long time but still since I'm only 23. I Live in ohio where i live in a tree and ii work in a nasal De congestive factory and i play on the company bowling team, But thats really not important to the story :P

I love my old school D&D. Any other form is just not for me ( even though i own all the books for 1-4 edition) I Play shadow run, mechwarrior Rune quest MERPS, Macross, VTM, WTA, and Star wars. I am a role player and I love to get into the role.
Was once an aspiring actor now i am more content with electricity.
I am a master of THUD fu ( which pisses my wife off to all the nine hells) ( oh yeah thud fu is when you can roll over and fall asleep, it kinda makes a THUD sound :P) No kids, Married, uymmmmm Yeah i think thats it!

CelticElf
Cannon Fodder

Post by CelticElf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 am

new here and looking forward to testing out the demo more. just from the dice roller i am very impressed with BG.

started gaming with D&D the blue box and about to get back into shadowrun(don't know which edition yet) so that me and my brother can get back into gaming over the internet because of the distance and also because the second baby with my 3rd wife has cramped all other types of vid gaming and time issues.

"life killed my inner RPG child" i think i am getting old.

working on my gaming crew and will hopfully be able to talk them into affording this system if all turns out...but for now i am going to research and read thru the forums and how this all works. praying this answers my prayers but for the small fact that it doesn't have voice over ip for a group...

looking to see the expense of a ventrilo server also.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:09 am

Hi CelticElf.
CelticElf wrote:praying this answers my prayers but for the small fact that it doesn't have voice over ip for a group...

Although it has lower voice quality than Ventrilo, there are plenty of free Teamspeak servers out there.

UPDATE: Teamspeak 3 has equal or better voice quality to ventrilo
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 am

Skype also works, and is free.

(I'm also of the opinion the voice quality is better than Ventrilo)

CelticElf
Cannon Fodder

Post by CelticElf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 pm

interesting...thou i have yet to mess with teamspeak i will look into it but the bit on skype has me intrigued. can skype handle multiple connections, like for a group?

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:38 pm

It handles multiple users... I'm trying to figure out numbers.

It looks like 5 with mac, and 25 with PC, I'll see if I can find a definite answer though.

EDIT: 25 is definitely the number for the pc, I can't figure out for sure if the mac one can't handle as many. I found mention of 5 in one of their FAQ's but that's the only place it says that. Even the ones that mention 25 don't have any disclaimer for mac's.

CelticElf
Cannon Fodder

Post by CelticElf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 am

ok...you have peeked my interest in skype so this evening after i get home from work and get the baby calmed i am going to download this skye and check it out.

hopefully they have a noob setting for me...LOL

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Welcome, CelticElf.
CelticElf wrote:praying this answers my prayers but for the small fact that it doesn't have voice over ip for a group...

You can host your own Ventrilo server for free, for up to 8 users. Here's a step-by-step tutorial.

Skype is more user-friendly, and voice quality is comparable with Ventrilo, in my experience. But I like the push-to-talk feature in Ventrilo, which keeps background noise to a minimum. That's more of an issue with large groups, though, so if you're only playing with 2 or 3 people, Skype should work well. I believe Skype allows up to 5 users at once (at least on a Mac), but I also heard someone say recently that the limit had been raised to around 8 users.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rulitawyn
Cannon Fodder

New to the BGrpg community

Post by rulitawyn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm

Hello I just recently found BGRPG and think it is an amazing software and it is just the type of thing I need for my gaming group (which is a huge student organization at my collage campus)

I am the founder and president of the Role Playing Game Organization at Middle Tennessee State University this semester will be our third as an official organization and we have already gathered more than 30 members. all players of different rpg games. last semester we voted on using org funds for purchasing a subscription to DnD insider in order to get access to there virtual tabeltop (yeah you know, the one that is shapeing up to be vapor ware) but now that i have found your software i think that money would be much wiser spent on a gm client and a pack of floating liscenses for use by my players rather than paying a yearly fee for dnd insider and maby someday getting to use there software to play ONLY DND 4.0 which most of my players don't want to have anything to do with. many of my members play games like Vampire: the masquerade, dnd 3.5 and many others I even have an old hippy math teacher there who is wanting to run an old school chainmail game. but i doubt he will want to use software to run it lol. I think this will be great though with 80% of all collage students owning laptops and most of them not beinging able to all meet on campus at the same time it will be much eaiser to run this game using this software

I have been playing with the demo all day today building encounters and tinkering with the features and there are only a few things that i think this game really needs and most of them you are already working on, such as a LoS tool for your FoW layer ( it would be really cool if you could just trace your walls with the LoS tool and let the dynamic FoW do the rest) and another thing that would be great is a form creation tool that would allow GMs to make there own Charector sheets by just naming the fields and setting the type of values that go in each box. but all this stuff should go into another thread so I'll post more about it later after I have read more of what everyone else has been talking about.

thanks again for this great software I can't wait to bring this up at our first meeting of the next semester and see what everyone thinks about using RPGO funds for buying the lisceses

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Welcome, rulitawyn.

Thanks for making use of this thread to introduce yourself (I wish more people would).

Be sure to mention to your fellow RPGO members that I'd be happy to arrange for some sort of group discount if you wish to pool your resources into a single order. The current licensing scheme in BRPG unfortunately isn't very suitable for a large group where the role of GM is constantly changing hands, so I'm willing to offer some sort of bundle discount if you plan on having multiple GMs.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Snatch
Cannon Fodder

introduction

Post by Snatch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 pm

hey hey hey boys n girls :) i was introduces to AD&D by a very good friend 'Beregond' on this site, back in '81. Started out with five of us, and wound up with and average of seven players, and as many as ten at one time or another. We bounced around between AD&D and two or three other RPG's until about '92. When we all went our separate ways in favor of other pursuits.
A few of us lived, breathed, ate and slept AD&D. We read just about every manual there was, and owned most of them. Some of the new rules I don't care for. Probably because I have to relearn just about everything :roll: there was already alot of shite to know back in the day.
But there are alot of rules I've noticed, that have been enhanced for the good. So it all works out 8) .
We... he, myself and one other are starting a D&D online game.
I like the idea of this little RPG online gameing community. A place to exchange ideas and relate with other players. There aren't to many RPG gamers out there. Until I started playing these games, I never knew I had an 'inner nerd' :lol: BTW... i hated 'Napolian Dynomite'.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Welcome, Snatch.

You're the first to use this thread in 2010. I hope the thread bump will help motivate other new users to introduce themselves.

pyroknight
Captain

Post by pyroknight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm Pyroknight

I use BRPG to run a weekly Star Wars RPG (D20 Saga Edition). If anyone else is interesting in running a Star Wars game via battlegrounds and is interested in resources send me a PM and maybe I can help you out. I have acquired quite a collection of digital Star Wars media.

My favorite game was Vor: the Maelstrom, and I am still rather active on their message boards.

Hamish
Soldier

Run quick... its another newbie...

Post by Hamish » Sat May 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Hello All (and especially Heruca);

Short version
Been DM'ing since the mid late 70's, now going on line for a fantasy campaign, Battlegrounds RPG fitted our needs perfectly. Many thanks for all the hard work!

Long Version
I'm just about to start a on-line campaign and as I'm going be be GM'ing it I got to do the research (smile) Previously we used Screenmonkey and Skype which was fine for the different game system we played but it lacked the depth of art needed for our next endeavour.

So having looked about the VTT areas (and this is over a period of 2 years from the start of ScreenMonkey to now), the Battlegrounds RPG seems to be the best "fit" for our group. Other programs have other strengths and weaknesses (as does BG) but I am very impressed with what I've read and seen (Enough so that I'm about to make the purchase...all the players have DL the demo and have been able to use it (save for one persons "Shockwave" error which I found the answer to on the forum and he's good to go).

My only question is that when an Artpack notes that the players require it as well... do the players themselves have to download the CXT file and place it itnot their Art Pack directory? And sould I unzip them and email the files? or is it better for them to download it themselves? (The reason I ask is that it seems some art goes from the GM to the players and some do not...)

Take care all (and heading off to the store...)

Hamish
(Who still has his Chainmail Fantasy supplement for Minatures Rulebook)

heruca
Developer

Re: Run quick... its another newbie...

Post by heruca » Sat May 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Welcome, Hamish.
Hamish wrote:all the players have DL the demo and have been able to use it (save for one persons "Shockwave" error which I found the answer to on the forum and he's good to go).
Was the player launching an alias/shortcut to BRPG rather than the executable itself?
Hamish wrote:My only question is that when an Artpack notes that the players require it as well... do the players themselves have to download the CXT file and place it itnot their Art Pack directory? And sould I unzip them and email the files? or is it better for them to download it themselves?
When a GM buys an artpack/s, I send them two emails: one with download links and the artpack registration code/s, which is intended only for the GM. A second email contains a download link/s for the player/s, which the GM should forward to his/her player/s. Players do not need to download or install artpacks that contain only map content, such as the Ravenlands artpacks or the Base Map Pack.

Hamish
Soldier

Re: Run quick... its another newbie...

Post by Hamish » Sun May 23, 2010 12:23 am

heruca wrote:Welcome, Hamish.
Hamish wrote:all the players have DL the demo and have been able to use it (save for one persons "Shockwave" error which I found the answer to on the forum and he's good to go).
Was the player launching an alias/shortcut to BRPG rather than the executable itself?

He had _exactly_ the same problem as the previous fellow, and your earlier answer fixed the problem (smile)
Hamish wrote:My only question is that when an Artpack notes that the players require it as well... do the players themselves have to download the CXT file and place it itnot their Art Pack directory? And sould I unzip them and email the files? or is it better for them to download it themselves?
When a GM buys an artpack/s, I send them two emails: one with download links and the artpack registration code/s, which is intended only for the GM. A second email contains a download link/s for the player/s, which the GM should forward to his/her player/s. Players do not need to download or install artpacks that contain only map content, such as the Ravenlands artpacks or the Base Map Pack.
Which I have already received (many thanks for your quick response)
Just trying it out, and I am very happy with the programs and various art packs... An exceptional job done by you and the various artists
/salute

Hamish

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 23, 2010 1:26 am

Glad to hear it. And I'm sure the various artists will be, too. :D

Zearthling
Sergeant

Hi.

Post by Zearthling » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:48 am

Hi.
:shock:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

Welcome, Zearthling.

Wow, it's been over two years since anyone has bothered to post here. :shock:

Care to tell a bit about yourself? Judging from your other post, I'm guessing you are more a boardgamer than an RPGer.

Zearthling
Sergeant

Z Bits About Myself

Post by Zearthling » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 pm

*$*My Top Three All Time Favorite Pen & Paper RPG's*$*
#3: TSR Inc., 1977; Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Keep on the Borderlands ring any bells?)
#2: Palladium Books, 1985; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness (I can bet not many have heard thaaaaaat 1 in a while hmmm?)
#1: SJGames, 1990; GURPS Cyberpunk (How can that NOT be #1 ?!?!)

*$*My Top Three All Time Favorite Board Games*$*
#3: Avalon Hill, 1972; Outdoor Survival
#2: TSR Inc., 1980; The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
#1: The first Metagaming Concepts Microgame, 1977; OGRE

As for my favorite TTWG? :shock:
There can only be one real Mc'Coy... H.G. Wells, 1913; Little Wars

Tell me Z Bits about yourself? :wink:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:57 am

Howdy Zearthling ;-)

Zearthling
Sergeant

Hi.

Post by Zearthling » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:18 am

Hi.

cyberunner8
Captain

Post by cyberunner8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 am

Greetings! Welcome to the fold. By the way I am back up and running! 8)

Leoric
Cannon Fodder

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Leoric » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi,

Not sure what to say really. I haven't played D&D now for 25 + years. I was surprised to know that tabletop has gone online.

Now that I am on here, Im not sure what to do. I could use some assistance.

For instance, where do I go to make a character sheet and join a game?

What do I download?

Someone please let me know

Leoric

heruca
Developer

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:36 am

Welcome, Leoric.

You should download BRPG v1.8b from this page.

Then you might want to post on the "Players Seeking Games" subforum, or get your own friends to download and try the software with you.

You can use printed character sheets to track your character stats, or digital character sheets available from a number of websites.

Since you've been away from D&D for so long, you might want to try other newer games, such as Pathfinder, since you'd be effectively starting from scratch anyway.