Introduce yourself

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
siege
Sergeant

Introduce yourself

Post by siege » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:55 pm

Since this is turning into a tidy little community, I thought it appropriate to create the good old "Introduce yourself" thread. I'll go first, since I'm here.

I'm CJ, thus the moniker "Siege." Though I haven't been doing much gaming in recent years (growing up and moving away for college killed my RPG career), I'm still very fond of "books and dice" or "table top" RPGs and have been searching for a good solid way to play them online for quite some time. Being a bit of a programmer myself (I'm a Unix/Web Systems Engineer in my "professional" life), I even took a stab at designing a system of my own before I got too busy/lazy to actually create more than a mockup.

When I came across BGRP recently, I was thrilled. Not only is the list of features exactly what I'd like it to be... but the developer is actively involved in the user comminity to solicit design feedback from the early stages! Very uncommon, and tres cool, IMHO.

My style of game-play tends to be pretty RP heavy. Running about and smashing monsters is a lot of fun, but I prefer "Role" playing to "Roll" playing. I have a big interest in gaming a story-telling medium, perhaps because my *real* background is in Film and Theater. To that end, I've usually been more interested in the fantasy and horror genres... but to give you an idea of how long it's been since I've gamed... all of my D&D books still say "TSR."

Much of my core group of gaming friends still live together and play semi-regularly, but a few of us have drifted apart over the years. I'm hoping BGRP can be the tool which brings us back together again.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm

Yay! I was thinking that this forum was not getting used enough. Now maybe it will.
siege wrote:college killed my RPG career
LOL! Some gamers might say "RPGs killed my college career".

As for me, I've been playing since the 7th grade. It's purely coincidence that my grades dropped from As and Bs to, uhmm, something rather less, right around that time.

I started with D&D, then eventually tried other systems like Melee/TFT, Tunnels & Trolls, Rolemaster, MERP, Phoenix Command, and many others. I finally settled on GURPS, and that's probably the last system I'll ever need, since it's so flexible and works with any genre. I also love the level of tactical detail in the combat system, although some people find it a little too slow for their taste.

My favorite RP genres are Fantasy, Modern, and Sci-Fi. For wargames, I prefer WW II.

My background is in multimedia development, and before that, filmmaking and cel animation. I'm an aspiring screenplay writer, although that "career" is on hold for the moment until I finish BRPG.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:17 pm

heruca wrote:Some gamers might say "RPGs killed my college career".
Jagermeister did the trick for me. :wink:

Always a pleasure to meet another film geek.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

masterlurker
Captain

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by masterlurker » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 pm

siege wrote:My style of game-play tends to be pretty RP heavy. Running about and smashing monsters is a lot of fun, but I prefer "Role" playing to "Roll" playing. I have a big interest in gaming a story-telling medium,
Amen to that.

Chris the Master Lurker. I started playing a while back when someone got me the critically aclaimed computer RPG (CRPG) Baldurs Gate; I'd already been hooked into gaming via Magic the Gathering so AD&D was the logical step up, since I knew the rules from BG. Since then, I've played 2nd Edition AD&D, both 3.x versions of D&D, Alternity, quite a few more card games (Iron Crown's Middle Earth CCG, anyone?), the D&D miniatures skirmish game (though I've had the Warhammer 40k starter box on my wish list for a few years), and a handful of free and 'learn to play/lite' wargames. I'm currently playing in a tabletop game using the post-apocalyptic CRPG Fallout's SPECIAL system, and co-dming/playing in an Eberron game. I haven't played online as much as I'd hoped, but I blame school (and society)(and Tim). I've been getting ready to start a campaign sometime in the near future, probably during the summer.

I like a wide variety in my systems and settings--one of the reasons GURPS is such a big draw for me, one ruleset and you can play almost any genre imaginable. The exceptions are supers games and Vampire/WoD, which I never really got an interest in. (Not that I won't play in one, but that I probably won't go looking for one.) I'll never turn down a post-apocalypse, steampunk, or arabian-fantasy (Al-Qadim) offer, though fantasy is my bread-and-butter. I've kinda fallen out of the card-game arena, but minis are still my friend. I personally find minis painting a fun, relaxing hobby, though I'm sure others will disagree. Wargames are put on hold until 1.) I can actually afford one and 2.) find someone to play with (though Steel Panthers World at War provides a great interim playground). RPGs top them all for me, because of the great depth and interaction you can get (plus, it's fun and you get to randomly wander around and kill things :P).

I probably don't have as deep a background as you guys, as I'm currently struggling for a Writing Major (Creative Writing Emphasis) and a Political Science/History Minor.
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also play Magic the Gathering (both Online and with real cards), and for years have been painting Warhammer miniatures to try to make a couple of armies (even though I've yet to play an actual game of Warhammer). I'm also making diorama-style terrain to play on. I used to be into WW2 model-building (1/72 scale), but haven't found the time in recent years to devote to it. Too many hobbies, too little time!

My favorite computer game of all time is Myth 2 (using the WW2 plugins/mods). Close Combat also deserves a strong mention.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:26 pm

Hey All,

My online moniker came from a LAN gaming session maybe 10 years ago where someone had the same user name as me and I quickly had to come up with an alternative. The Heavens Gate cult had just taken a one way ride to the comet Halebopp and for some strange reason came to mind when I had to quickly type something new in.

With Pen & Paper RPG it's D&D and not much else. Having tried various games over the years D&D always becomes "home". Although WotC are kind of the Evil Empire / Microsoft of RPG I really like the new rules and have always been bemused when someone decries that rules take over the roleplaying (even Gygax joined this chorus). If there's a lack of role playing or fun the 1st place to look is the GM and players. Hack 'n slash play is cool too and enjoy building quick hackathons so players can test their abilities, skills and special items.

With Electronic PRG we still have a regular weekly Neverwinter Nights session using Skype and a user mod over the internet. There are some very talented people out there (with too much time on their hands!) making some great mods and storylines for NWN.

I've worked in various fields of Insurance (Actuary/Statsitics/Analyst), IT (Everything from Desktop Support to Analyst) and have owned several different businesses ranging from wholesale distribution to e-commerce to green grocer to online green grocer (thankfully sold in 1999!). Currently you'll find me running a modest niche investment management business and with partners a decision support software company.

Nice to see some activity building in this forum!

GMDAN
Cannon Fodder

Post by GMDAN » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi,
I'm GMDAn for Game Master Daniel.

I've been playing D&D since 1979. Started with Basic and quickly went with 1st edition. I was Dming a group for about 4 years in the 80's before it got disbanded. I bought a few 2nd edition stuff, but didn't get to play except on-line in the advent of email. When 3e came into the picture that's where thiings got busy. I started a play by post game with the SUnless Citadel in 2000 and its still going today. That same group has just started Speker of Dreams and they are all 6th level. I have two other groups playing other games as well.

I like the tactical aspect of 3 and 3.5e. So when Dundjinni came along I quickly purchased the product and starting making maps to use in my games. Previously to that, I had created a bunch of tiles for VISIO and that worked very well.

I like to dable in programming a bit and I wrote a DM tool for my own use to track time, initiative, roll dice for battle, saves, spells and checks and other little utilities. So that saves me a lot of time.

I'm always interested in new tools for D&D to enhance the game and make the players want to stay and play. That's very important in a play by post game. To often people leave because of lack of interest.

I found out this week that a group of players want a DM to play once a week in a face to Face campaign. I'm planning to use the Age of Worm campaign scenario out of Dungeon Magazine. I'm anxious to see the demo of Battleground and see how I can use it for my play by post and face to face games.

I've been in the Computer Industry for over 28 years and still have lots of years left. D&D is my hobby. It allows me to escape the stress of the real world.

Daniel

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:01 am

Hiya everyone,

I'm Mark aka Kepli ...
I started playing AD&D about 15 years ago as a student and have been playing since ...
Recently we started using D&D 3.5e for my own game.

I found DJ at the start of 2005 and have been on the forum ever since <grin>. Some time later I was asked to be a moderator for the Gm's Parlor (together with Masterlurker) and after that we started a business of selling GM products (Gamemaster Syndicate).
I also started playing using FG and am currently in a development team for making more rulesets and other stuff for FG.

Happy mapping :wink:

ender
Cannon Fodder

Post by ender » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:18 pm

i played baulders gate way back, and then me and my older bro tried adnd with an older friend. played bits of adnd and then 3rd ed. all through highschool and a little bit less once college and work came, but its still one of my fav hobbies. i still prefer a lot of the 2nd ed dnd over 3rd rules but thats an argument for later. my close friends wanted to play a game so i figured out how to dm and was most often the dm in our group of 4 to 7. Once in a while i would get a freind to dm a small campaign so i could play as well and i usually play a human fighter or elf rougue, but ive tried a lot of things. mages are also much fun, i dm'd a speacial campaign designed for a solo mage, was a 'blast'... :wink:
battousai

dDemonicAngels
Soldier

Post by dDemonicAngels » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:10 am

I've been a D&D fan for 25+ years. I've got the complete set of Dungeon and Dragon from 67 on. My library is packed with modules, old and new.

I played briefly about 20 years ago but then never really got in with a permanent group. I started a group about 5 years ago with my son and his friends and we have been playing regularly since.

I've got 20,000+ Magic cards scattered throughout the house (or, my wife would say they are scattered). I paint figs, but not enough. I make landscapes to play on, but nothing recent and not enough. I did comics until Age of Apocalypse where they started rewriting the Marvel Universe. I have a fair collection of D&D figs but nothing too recent, not enough $$$.

I'm a fanatical reader and am currently into the fourth book of George RR Martin's Game of Thrones. As much as the first three of the series kept me riveted to read the next page, the fourth book is a chore to get through.

I've managed to pass most of my hobbies onto my son, but my wife and daughter just don't understand me. Our old babysitter thought I was into satanic rituals because of all books and magazine covers she sees.

Loved Firefly but was really disappointed in Serenity because of the way everything got wrapped up. I still want it to come back. Borrowed my nephew's Earth-2 series and am rather upset he forgot to give me disc 1. Really like the beginning of Batman Begins, but never saw the part after it got all hokey. Just purchase Invasion of the Body Snatchers and will be watching it tonight with my son while the ladies are out.

Everything you wanted to know and much, much more.

PS And I'm about to take the step from pencil and paper to the screen so this software better rock!

erian_7
General

Howdy more...

Post by erian_7 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:51 pm

My first encounter with RPGs was back in 1984 with a guy that had the Expert rulebook and the Isle of Dread module (first printings, not the later boxed set). He dropped us on the island with dinosaurs and cat people, whereupon we proceeded to die quickly at the hands of a horde of lizardmen (they were "men" then, not "folk" :lol: ). And I was hooked. I started spending my extra cash on books, eventually buying up almost the entire Gazetteer series for the Known World (œMystara
Last edited by erian_7 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<>< ;^)

dDemonicAngels
Soldier

Post by dDemonicAngels » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Erian, Great bio. I wasn't playing during the worst of the 'Satanic D&D' but was reading and collecting. Must have been interesting trying to defend your hobby. I can't imagine finding my collection 'gone'.

My sister's mother-in-law is an ordained minister and asked to join our group a couple of years ago. I think she was trying to be open-minded about this 'evil' game and probably would have been and interesting addition to the group. But my nephew (her grandson) is part of our group and didn't think it was a good idea. Neither of us followed up with her request. I've always wanted to introduce a nutter to the game and see their reaction...

I kill my son because I will only play lawful good characters, whether I am playing D&D, D&D Miniatures, Neverwinter Nights or whatever. I explain to him that it's the hardest to play because you're got to follow the rules. We just started an new NWN module last night and while I was asking the sweet little school marm some questions, my son's character was upstairs looting her room. Ok, it turns out she attacked me and had a hidden accomplice, but that's not the point. Sigh, I just might have to kill him...

I love alignment!

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:26 pm

It definitely gave me a deeper appreciation both for my hobby of choice and for faith, so a good experience for me overall though I couldn't see it at the time.

On the alignment scale, I play on the "wild side" and favor NG or CG--as in life, for me moral choices sometimes take precedence over legal ones. I do enjoy playing the occasional monk or paladin and agree it is much more challenging.
<>< ;^)

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:12 am

The Mind Flayer Monk!!

Is actually taken from dungeon magazine #94 which featured lots of classed mind flayers-I thought a mind flayer monk was a neat idea.

Anyway Im into playing the 90s TSR titles, which I think were some of the highest quality gameworlds to ever be published (Dark Sun, Planescape, and Spelljammer too) and miniatures games when I have the time.

I live in Los Angeles and do 90% of my gaming at conventions.
I spend more time reading and creating than playing.
I used to game frequently over Openrpg while I was living overseas but I havent that much recently because of work and Im more interested in reading fantasy and sci fi books at the moment.

in the future I would like to revitalize cyberpunk RPGs online and convention tabletop.
--I must feed

dDemonicAngels
Soldier

Post by dDemonicAngels » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:52 pm

MFM, Don't forget Al Q'adim.

Does 90% convention play mean that you don't play much, or there's that much convention play?

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:02 pm

Hi, I'm me.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:44 pm

Bumping this thread in the hopes that some of our newer members will take the opportunity to introduce themselves.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 pm

OK, after some nagging, my profile ;)

I'm another Mark, known as Riddles from college onwards (my wife only stopped calling me it after our children were born).

Been playing rpgs for over 25 years now, everything from D&D to GURPS, traveller, Shadowrun etc. etc. Generally still manage to play once a week for a couple of hours, but no-where near what I used to b4 marriage, kids etc! :roll:

Haven't wargamed that much recently outside of Heroclix etc. (though BRPG would seem to work really well for that!).

Um what else? Live in the UK. Work in IT. Found BRPG from the ENworld projector thread. To lazy to look for an avatar... :P

Welcome to my life...

mako
Sergeant

Hello

Post by mako » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:43 pm

Okay I am 35 and I have been rpg's playing since middle school!
Just bought Dijini or however you spell it, and found this link through their chats. Well I have the full version of e-tools for d and d. Getting used to using computers for my tabletop mini

i will be testing this software when Iget home and If I like I will be purchasing the DMS version later 2 night

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Welcome Mako,

At the moment there is only a Beta version released. A new Beta is due shortly (maybe even today). The 1st full retail version is probably a few weeks away.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forums, Mako.

Yes, I'm hoping to post beta 1.0.4 tonight, so I'd suggest you wait for that, Mako, since it's a big download. No sense in you having to do it twice.

By the way, I may start allowing preorders in a week or so.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:27 am

heruca wrote:By the way, I may start allowing preorders in a week or so.
Huzzah! :D

mako
Sergeant

let me know

Post by mako » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 am

As soon as it is availible I will purchase...let me Know when! :D

MAKO

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:26 pm

I wish everyone were that enthusiastic! :D

What did you think of the latest beta demo, Mako? Anything you'd like changed, added, or taken out?

mako
Sergeant

LOVED IT

Post by mako » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:02 pm

That is why I am so stoaked! Look I have been doing the miniature things for years. I have also been the Dm for that time as well. Between comming up with the adventure, and trying to make it visualy appealing is just getting too much. Do not get me wrong I love mini's, but I READY to move on to 2006!

I can appreciate what your program does..The cost of buying the DM"S version and the players version is a no brainer! Infact if cost is what folks are worried about I would like like to know what other resource material you can purchase and do what this program does for the game? (What the heck did I just type?)

Anyway you get my drift. I see the value, so I am absolutley in, as far as bugs are concerned. I bought e-tools from code monkey publishing for d and d. I love it as a data procsessing tool for d and d, i paid a lot of money for the package and continue to purchase from them, paying a premium I might add. The tool does not come with a mapper, and I knew that , back to the point..this program has plenty of bugs..and just like you they are very concerned with getting them corrected quickly and efficently.

Bugs are a part of programing!

I can live with it! :roll:

i know too much blabbing