London's Burning - solitaire cosim using BG

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
rrvistas
General

London's Burning - solitaire cosim using BG

Post by rrvistas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Finally I managed to play a solitaire cosim I own for years. And I'm doing it in Battlegrounds to keep the setup save from pets and kids.

The graphics were taken from vassal and the basic setup was done in 4 hours. All of the counters and the map you see are done as objects. A lot of them are multi-token units.
The stack and shuffle command is perfect to simulate chits drawing.
The views feature gets you around the map in no time.
Doing a lot with the mouse I wish there was also a popupmenue command to roll the dice in addition to the CTRL-R command.

If someone wants to play it, I can mail you the rules, encounter and media asset files.
Attachments
SolitairCosim_Londons_Burning.jpg
Screenshot of DAY 2pm raid
SolitairCosim_Londons_Burning.jpg (476.61 KiB) Viewed 3080 times

heruca
Developer

Re: London's Burning - solitaire cosim using BG

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Ooh, pretty!

Looks like you're leading the charge in terms as using BRPG to create and play digital game conversions. Not counting me, that is. :lol:
rrvistas wrote:Doing a lot with the mouse I wish there was also a popupmenue command to roll the dice in addition to the CTRL-R command
I'll see what I can do in the next release. I was hesitant to add a "Roll" contextual menu command to any multi-token unit, for obvious reasons. Even limiting it to objects and not figures isn't enough, since you don't want to "roll" two-sided counters.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm a little surprised that the graphics from the Vassal module were hi-res enough for use in BRPG.

Does your game still look good at 200% zoom?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:17 pm

heruca wrote:I'm a little surprised that the graphics from the Vassal module were hi-res enough for use in BRPG. Does your game still look good at 200% zoom?
Well, I don't use 200% zoom , 100% is big enough.. see for yourself

Btw, all the graphics are used with 100% size.
Attachments
100per.jpg
100%
100per.jpg (321.48 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
200per.jpg
200% zoom
200per.jpg (265.11 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Ah, yeah, that's pretty pixelated at 200%.

Hmm, perhaps a means of adding Encounter-specific zoom limits would be a useful feature to add in a future version.

Still, I'm not knocking the usefulness of "pre-existing artwork", even if it's not ideally-suited. To recreate all those counters at the proper resolution would probably add so much time to your game conversion process that you might not have bothered to create the BRPG conversion at all.

If you ever distribute this, you might want to credit the person who created the artwork for the Vassal module. :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Btw, those white & red "Hit" counters are pretty amusing. :)

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:40 pm

heruca wrote:Ah, yeah, that's pretty pixelated at 200%.
Still, I'm not knocking the usefulness of "pre-existing artwork", even if it's not ideally-suited.
Yes all graphics were only available as gif files from the Vassal Module. I batch converted them to PNG's
heruca wrote:To recreate all those counters at the proper resolution would probably add so much time to your game conversion process that you might not have bothered to create the BRPG conversion at all.
Right, If I would have had to scan all the stuff myself, I might have not done this game adaptation. My scanner is 10 years old and to get a good 200dpi scan takes forever. Not to speak of the hours to spend in photoshop to create the single graphic files.

I might do that piece by piece, If I get to like the game. But for the moment its good enough.
heruca wrote:If you ever distribute this, you might want to credit the person who created the artwork for the Vassal module. :wink:
Definately!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:10 am

Awesome work rrvistas :shock: 8)