The Movie and TV Thread

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
heruca
Developer

The Movie and TV Thread

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Thought it might be fun if we share movie recommendations, since sometimes it can be hard to pick a good one at the video rental store.

I'll start it off with two movies that I enjoyed a lot in the last few months.

Ironman
I thought this was great fun. Highly entertaining, and above par compared to other superhero movies. Can't wait for the sequel, and at some point I'll probably want to own both movies.

Death Race
I found this one hard to resist, being a Car Wars fan. It's everything I hoped it would be, and definitely made me want to play Car Wars again. I liked that they did this with old-school stunt drivers and special effects, rather than CGI effects. That really added a lot, IMO. I suspect this will become a classic of the genre, along with the Mad Max/Road Warrior movies.

So, what movies do you all recommend?
Last edited by heruca on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Some of my Favorites (in no particular order):

V for Vendetta - Comic book movie, with one man starting a revolution. Very good styling done for the movie.

Boondock Saints - Vigilante justice, and fairly humerous situations. Contains a lot of explicit language.

Ironman - I just have to second this movie, it was one of the first movies I'd seen in theaters in quite a few years where I didn't feel cheated out of my money. Maybe though I'm just too critical of some things.

Deathnote - Manga->Movie, if you had a book that let you control Death himself, very fun movie.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 pm

A couple of my favorites would be:

Magnolia -- I just love the way the story unfolds in that movie. All the stuff that seems to be separate is all connected by the end.

Mulholland Drive -- It's weird and at times makes very little sense, but it does so in an enjoyable fashion. It's probably my favorite film by David Lynch.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 am

I rather enjoyed the new Star Trek movie (the 2009 one).

Sorry Ursus, but I HATED Mulholland Drive. I liked Twin Peaks, though.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

zWolf
Soldier

Post by zWolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 am

yes, Star Trek was indeed most awesome.

I'm really looking forward to Avatar - I may hit the midnight movie tomorrow if I think Friday looks like it will allow for a little 'sleep in' heh.

I wanted to list a few 'off the radar' good shows....

I love the standard fair, - Lotro, the matrix, Starwars tril. etc. etc., but listed here are a few that I think were 'sleepers' that you might have missed. I bet you'd really like them though.

I'll do the IMDB link so you can find out a bit more about them, watch the previews etc.:

I was surprised, but many on my list had Kevin Spacey in them as an actor... though my list isn't about liking a particular 'actor' but rather good movies, that didn't get as much play time, or were not as 'popular' as the big hitters are (because lets fast it, most of us have seen the popular good ones right?) - anyway first I'll list the ones with Kevin Spacey in them:

(p.s. this list is in no way comprehensive, just a good starter sampling.)

Swimming with Sharks

The Usual Suspects

The Negotiator
My brother really liked the negotiator.

Outbreak was a good one too that Spacey had a small part in, but it boarders on 'popular' so doesn't really fit the list...

Equilibrium I absolutely loved this show, and have no idea how come it wasn't more heavily marketed - this show was a total sleeper, but if you didn't see it, it's definitely up there on the 'must see' list.

Avalon ok, here's the deal on this one... it's done by the same guy that Directed Ghost in the shell, (a Clasic Anime show, many of you will recognize,) so this show is slow moving, and has a TON of Artsy camera shots that are pretty, but with no dialog, and nothing really happening - and most of it is filmed in a monocromeish color tone (till the end part,) but still... if you are the type that likes the occasional foreign film, and doesn't mind getting to the end of a show and thinking that you might have to watch it again in-order to 'get' it... then you might want to check this one out.

so, that's it, a mini list that should keep you occupied for quite some time, they really are good shows that I think most folks that cruise these boards will like. (Except that last one, Avalon, I really liked it, but I might just be that there is a narrow band of like minded folks that would enjoy it... you've been warned.)

Enjoy!

zWolf -out.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks, zWolf. I love Kevin Spacey, but the only movie on your list that I've seen is Usual Suspects. I'll have to check out the others.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 am

I recently saw a movie called [REC], and loved it. Mind you, I saw the original Spanish version, not the American remake, which I heard is really bad.

zWolf
Soldier

Post by zWolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:29 pm

I think the American version was called "Quarantine " which I haven't seen, but I don't think it did very well in the theaters. since I've been known to hablar un poquito de Español, I might as well watch it in it's original format... since it sounds like it's the better of the shows anyway. eh?

thank's for the recommendation.

zWolf -out.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 am

[REC 2] was pretty good, too.

And I really enjoyed The Hurt Locker. Glad it did well at the Oscars.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 am

I saw "The Kingdom" last night (Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner). Not sure if it did too well at the box office, but it's a great movie with a smart script. Highly recommended. It grabs you right from the titles and opening sequence, and there's great action in the third act.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 am

Some more movies I recently enjoyed:

Robin Hood (the latest one with Russell Crowe)
Black Death (a medieval flick featuring the guy who played Boromir in LotR)
The Pacific (the HBO mini-series, a follow-up to Band of Brothers)
The new version of Clash of the Titans

Iron Man 2 was OK, but not everything I'd hoped it would be.

So, have any of you seen any movies you would recommend?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 pm

heruca wrote:Iron Man 2 was OK, but not everything I'd hoped it would be.
Yeah wasn't nearly as good as the first :\
Though better than many sequels are.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:02 am

Have you seen Iron Baby?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 am

heruca wrote:Have you seen Iron Baby?
I have now ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:06 pm

I haven't been able to rent or go see any movies lately, but I'm really enjoying the new series, The Walking Dead. Anyone following that show?

The HBO mini-series The Pacific was also very good, but Band of Brothers was way better, in my opinion.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm

I saw Predators last night. Was pretty good, or maybe I was just in the right mood to see it. I liked Adrian Brody in the lead role, instead of the usual muscle-bound, classic hero-type we've come to expect in action movies of this sort.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am

I really enjoyed watching the series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand", which I chanced upon recently. Why does no one tell me about gems like this?

I learned two things yesterday - one good and one bad:

1) There is a prequel, called "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena".

2) The lead actor, who I had not seen in anything else before but who I really like, has cancer. :cry:

ericlgraham1974
Cannon Fodder

Post by ericlgraham1974 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 am

I watched Dylan Dog last night. I couldn't believe I wasted my time with this movie. I have to agree that its the worst movie this year. The actors are way so bad and the effects are just crappy. Stay away from this movie.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Welcome, ericlgraham1974.

Alynnalizza
Captain

Post by Alynnalizza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Watched Black Death the other night (Sean Bean, aka Boromir) off of Netflix. Awesome movie. Pleasantly surprised.

Pirates 4 was far better than I was anticipating. Finally it was about Pirates and not some bit of a waif and her love affair. ;)

Love the Walking Dead, can't wait for the next season.
Asgardnorth.net & Asgardnorth.com , 2 sources for your Fantasy Needs. Com for freebies, Net for commercial items. Stop by and take a look.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

I really enjoyed season 2 of The Walking Dead.

Camelot wasn't too shabby, either.

Some movies I thought were really good are "In Time", "Source Code", and "Limitless".

Still need to check out Pirates 4.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed season 2 of "A Game of Thrones".

I now find myself lacking anything good to watch, and am looking for recommendations (movies or TV series).

Has anyone here seen "Prometheus"? Would you recommend it? If so, did you think it good enough to pay for the full 3D theater experience, or is it best to wait for the DVD and watch it in 2D in the comfort of home?

Morrelle Giovanni
Soldier

Post by Morrelle Giovanni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 am

I think I just peed myself....Blade Runner 2? Prometheus 2?

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/372

http://www.bladerunner2-movie.com/

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Great news. Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't had time to watch much of anything lately except for Walking Dead, Season 3, which just started.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Saw and liked "The Hobbit" (3D). I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

Currently enjoying watching the TV series "Breaking Bad" and "Homeland". These will help tide me over until "The Walking Dead" continues, and "Spartacus" season 3 and "Game of Thrones" season 3 begin.

If you're into ultra-violent movies, check out "The Raid: Redemption". Hard-core, fast-paced action without a lot of plot to get in the way.