Couple of Questions Before Purchase

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Elric
Soldier

Couple of Questions Before Purchase

Post by Elric » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:10 pm

Greetings! :)

I have been using kLoOge.Werks and have a couple of questions since I've seen this program mentioned so many times on the Dundjinni Site (I'm a registered user of that program as well).

1) Are you LOCKED into Rulesets? The games I focus on are things like Basic D&D, AD&D 1E, GURPS 3E. For KW, I had to do a bunch of scripting in order to make everything work the way I want it to. Will I need to reprogram everything AGAIN to work with BG?

2) If I pay for 1.0.8 today, will that still give me access to try the BETAs and later release versions of the program or will I have to pay to upgrade?

3) Can I have different registered versions of the program running on the same machine? Can I do the same on my desktop AND my Notebook?

That's all I can think of for now - otherwise everything looks really good. :)
Elric
SEMO Recordings
Dundjinni CSUAC and Archives

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:10 am

Welcome, Elric.

There is absolutely no user-side programming with BRPG. No scripting, no XML editing. To customize it for your game system, all you usually need to do is create customized Dice Macros and edit a few plain text files. If you downloaded the free demo, open any of the text files in BRPG's Preferences folder and you'll see what I mean. Of course, there also isn't much in the way of rules automation, beyond the dice rolling mechanics. Think of BRPG as an RPG-oriented interactive whiteboard with online collaboration capability.

All updates to any v1.x version are free and always will be. If I ever get around to developing a v2.x, that will be available at a discount to v1.x users. I would guess that early adopters of v1.0 have now gotten about 12 free updates so far, and there are a couple more on the way before the v1.x series is complete.

You could have, for example, v1.0.9 and v1.1a installed simultaneously on one system and they would both still work using the same license code (although they won't be able to connect to each other due to the version discrepancy).

Anyone who buys the GM version is entitled to a second free license code (you simply need to ask for it). This is intended for GMs who want to prep their games on one computer, but actually run the games on another. Player Client are limited to use on a single computer, though.

I hope that answers your questions.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Elric
Soldier

Post by Elric » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:32 am

heruca wrote:There is absolutely no user-side programming with BRPG. No scripting, no XML editing. To customize it for your game system, all you usually need to do is create customized Dice Macros and edit a few plain text files. If you downloaded the free demo, open any of the text files in BRPG's Preferences folder and you'll see what I mean. Of course, there also isn't much in the way of rules automation, beyond the dice rolling mechanics. Think of BRPG as an RPG-oriented interactive whiteboard with online collaboration capability.
Translation: Total Freedom to run any game system without the software limitations, right? :) I can live with that ;)
heruca wrote:All updates to any v1.x version are free and always will be. If I ever get around to developing a v2.x, that will be available at a discount to v1.x users. I would guess that early adopters of v1.0 have now gotten about 12 free updates so far, and there are a couple more on the way before the v1.x series is complete.
So we're looking at a while before 2.0 will be available? I don't want to buy something and then POW have to turn around a week later and purchase the upgrade.
heruca wrote:You could have, for example, v1.0.9 and v1.1a installed simultaneously on one system and they would both still work using the same license code (although they won't be able to connect to each other due to the version discrepancy).
That's fine - it would just be for testing purposes and if I'm playing with a BETA and the game dies, I want to be able to fallback on the previous stable version that I have installed to keep the game going.
heruca wrote:Anyone who buys the GM version is entitled to a second free license code (you simply need to ask for it). This is intended for GMs who want to prep their games on one computer, but actually run the games on another. Player Client are limited to use on a single computer, though.
Sounds perfect. And I think I read somewhere that If my HD dies, I can reinstall and get a new code (disabling the old one) for no charge?
heruca wrote:I hope that answers your questions.
Very much so to the point that I will most probably be getting (for starters) the GM version sometime this week. :)

Thanks!
Elric
SEMO Recordings

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 am

Elric wrote:So we're looking at a while before 2.0 will be available? I don't want to buy something and then POW have to turn around a week later and purchase the upgrade.
Yeah, it will be quite a while before v2 is ready.

Speaking of which heruca, once v2 is nearing completion, you should make the upgrade to v2 free for anyone who purchases v1 after that point, to avoid the aforementioned annoyance.

(Or, if you intend to change the price, at least make a preorder license that includes v1)
Elric wrote:Sounds perfect. And I think I read somewhere that If my HD dies, I can reinstall and get a new code (disabling the old one) for no charge?
Yes

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:32 am

I haven't even started working on v2 yet, so it will be quite some time before it's released. I expect v1.x to continue being developed for a few more months still.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Hiya Elric :D

Elric
Soldier

Post by Elric » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Kepli wrote:Hiya Elric :D
Kepli! :)

Looks like I get to harrass you with questions over here too. ;)
Elric
SEMO Recordings

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:08 am

Look around a bit and you will find a lot more sites where you can do that :wink: