Failing to Host (RC2)

Dormouse
General

Failing to Host (RC2)

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:21 pm

--Split from "Crashes on log out" by Omni--
Omnidon wrote:RC2 Public:

When I reopen the login panel, disconnect is properly greyed-out, but attempted to login again will either say Connection Failed or (usually on the second attempt) cause a crash.
This is what happens to me when I try to login initially.

What I mean is, this is what happens every time the client tries to login. The host always claims to have logged in successfully, though I am now wondering whether they were all false positives - see below.
Last edited by Dormouse on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:23 pm

No wonder your client can't connect, then, if all your host attempts are failing. Are you getting false-positives, as described here?

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=647
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:08 pm

heruca wrote:No wonder your client can't connect, then, if all your host attempts are failing. Are you getting false-positives, as described here?

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=647
Well, I did think that some of the hosting attempts had been successful, but now I am wondering.

I have just checked by trying to login as host 10 times & got a false positive every time!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:12 pm

Try logging into my host from either or both of your machines.

IP: 201.235.91.78
Port: 1626 (the default)

I'll leave it running a little while.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:40 pm

Test successful. Done hosting.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:41 pm

The test was very successful and very impressive. :D

Leaves me looking at all the sweeties in the shop without being able to buy any. :) :( :? :x

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:19 pm

I've now gone through everything to do with the network, firewalls, other applications etc etc. the result is the same. I can never get RC2 to host. I can fairly easily get RC1 to host.

Had a busy day. Probably won't be able to test out any of the other computers until tomorrow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:26 pm

I have one other thing for you to try.

Replace the file called "goMU.dcr" with the one that comes with RC1. That file is what handles the multiuser connections, and I may have changed it when I compiled RC2.

If you can connect after making that change, we'll have our culprit.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:50 pm

heruca wrote:Replace the file called "goMU.dcr" with the one that comes with RC1. That file is what handles the multiuser connections, and I may have changed it when I compiled RC2.
Thanks, but no. I tried it 10 times, but still no hosting.

It seems so odd that I can never get RC2 to host, when other people don't have the problem & yet I can get RC1 to host. Baffles me.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:08 pm

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... t=620#4882

Now there's another person with this problem ;-)
And only on one of his computers.
There must be some common link between the computers with the problem.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:13 pm

Dormouse is using a Windows PC (I think), and Weezoh is using an Intel Mac. That pretty much rules out third-party software interfering.

Oddly enough, it's the faster of their two computers that are having the trouble hosting.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:30 pm

heruca wrote:Dormouse is using a Windows PC (I think)
Dormouse wrote:The client system might be a bit light on memory, I thought it had more.

Client -
AMD Athlon 2GHz
256 mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
display 1024x768

GM
Pentium 4, 3GHz dual core
1 gb RAM
Windows XP Pro
display 1680x1050

I'll add some more memory, but even the client is within the minimum spec.

The router is a ZyXEL wireless broadband network router, connects to the client through an access point. Client mostly uses the Windows firewall, GM uses FSecure.

Turning firewalls off makes no difference.
RC2 has never let the client login & always crashes when the connection is retried.
RC1 (virtually) always connects, loads maps, changes maps. Never loads encounters on the client & never sees any objects or figures placed on the map in the GM.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Well, I have now tried RC2 on a 3rd computer on the network - and it hosted perfectly 1st time. 512MB RAM & Athlon 2GHz CPU.

So definitely not a problem with the router or network

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:02 pm

I'm rewriting the code for establishing and monitoring connections in BRPG. This will hopefully get rid of the false-positives, the crashing on reconnect, and the weirdness of certain computers refusing to host.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanx. :D

Do consider me a willing alpha tester for the new code.

Please. :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:04 pm

You and Weezoh, for sure.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:12 am

Hi,

I've downloaded and tried the new patch.

I deleted the old RC2 install, unzipped RC2 & RC2a & followed instructions.

The program tried to connect but never succeeded. If the attempt was cancelled and retried then the program crashed.

RC1 still connects.

When I examine the ports, RC1 has a process ID (RC2 never does), and RC2 only ever appears as a system idle process (as does RC1 until it connects).

I shall keep on trying to see if there is anything else I can do, but it is not looking significantly different for me at themoment.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:17 pm

When I attempt to log in on my macbook pro I get the "Establishing Connection Please Wait" gray window and it just hangs there. No false connection or real connection is established.

I seem to be able to cancel immediately and retry with no crashes. but no difference in outcome.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:36 pm

At least the false-positive issue has gone away. :?

Are you guys using UDP protocol instead of TCP? What about UPnP?

Tried disabling NAT to see if that helps? I'm pretty sure you can have NAT turned on, but the range of NAT-assigned IP addresses can't overlap the range of DHCP-assigned IP addresses. That's probably the most common cause of NAT users not being able to connect or host.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 pm

I use DHCP & TCP.

The false positive issue has certainly gone, so the problem is easily seen.

I still find it hard to understand why RC1 mostly works & RC2 doesn't.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 pm

IIRC, you were able to host with one of your computers but not the other. Is that still the case with RC2a?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:15 pm

I haven't tried yet.

With the origianl RC2, I couldn't host with either of the computers that I would expect to use most of the time. I could host with a 3rd. Didn't try any others.

I upped the memory in my main computer to 3G (and to 768MB & 1G in the others). I will check them out when I can.Seems to me that it can't be the network or its settings & must be something to do with the hardware or software on the 2 computers & their interaction with BRPG. But they don't have anything in common that the 3rd computer does not have & presumably it must also be something that RC1 doesn't have either.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 pm

You said above that you can't connect. Do you actually mean you can't host? Or that you can host but no other comp can connect?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:00 pm

heruca wrote:You said above that you can't connect. Do you actually mean you can't host? Or that you can host but no other comp can connect?
Sorry. I meant that I can't host. If I can get any of my computers to host, I will check whether the others can connect to the host. Sorry if I have been misleading.

dmisrafel
Cannon Fodder

Post by dmisrafel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:18 pm

I'd like to step forward as a third person with this problem; thought I was hosting, downloaded the patch, bam: hanging at establishing connection!