BGE v1.5 Demo for Mac is PowerPC Application?

noypi53
Cannon Fodder

BGE v1.5 Demo for Mac is PowerPC Application?

Post by noypi53 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:17 am

Hi!

Just downloaded the BGE demo version (v1.5) for the Mac. After extracting from the zip file & clicking on the BGE app, I get the following message:

You can’t open the application “Battlegrounds Gaming Engine” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Where can I download a demo version for Intel Macs?

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

heruca
Developer

Re: BGE v1.5 Demo for Mac is PowerPC Application?

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:29 am

Note the system requirements. BGE only runs on Mac OS X Snow Leopard or earlier, as it requires Rosetta. You can run the Windows version via Parallels, Fusion, or Boot Camp.

Someday I hope to create a v2 that will run on Intel Macs natively (and run faster!), but that won't happen this year.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

noypi53
Cannon Fodder

Post by noypi53 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. Now downloading the Windows demo version. Hope you'll find time to develop an updated Mac version next year. (Picture a man grovelling) :wink:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:58 pm

You won't have a baseline to compare to, but I'm pretty sure that the Windows version runs faster than the Mac version would have even if you HAD Rosetta emulation available.

As for an updated Mac version of my apps, no one wants them more than I do. Believe it or not, I'm still running Leopard (v10.4), just so I can continue development. The next releases of BRPG (v1.8d) and BGE (v1.7) will be the LAST releases. Then I'm updating my computer to a newer OS and starting on R&D for v2 of the software.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.