Turn Sequencer

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Turn Sequencer

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I am attempting to have the turn sequencer sort tokens by one field (Initiative), Sort that highest to lowest. (not a problem for that) The difficulty comes when I try to have it take 1/2 that number for a second action within the SAME turn (round). All the variations offered seem incapable of comprehending. The closest is to take incremental ticks/impulse but it doesn't comprehend a negative value it seems. The turn sequencer adds that value (Placed in another value labeled Half INT).
So if the piece has an initiative of say 14 its next move would occur at 7(14-7) not 21(14+7).
This can not be done (near as I can tell) using phases since it is possible for one piece to have a series of actions at 14/7 while another may be slower to act at 6/3. The phases drive solely on the first number it seems.

Lastly, when utilizing the tick/pulse it also advances the entire round not just that piece with in that round.
ie a 14 INT with a 1/2 value of 7 would result in a 21 INT and round 12???....

Utilizing 1.8b version on two differing systems with same result (W8 and Wxp)

Thanks in advance for your response
DLG

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Welcome, Dark Lord Galen.

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been mulling this one over for a couple of days.

What game system is this for?

Based upon what you've described, I think it should be possible to do using a phase chart, since it doesn't sound all that different from how turn segments are resolved in games like Car Wars and Hero System (where each combatant gets to act several times in a single game turn). See pg. 114 of the User Manual for an example.

Another option might be manually setting which phases a particular combatant gets to act on (see pg. 81 of the User Manual).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Turn Sequencer

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

The intent for the use is in the D&D3.5 gameset.. In the 3.5 e guideline set, there are :
Free Actions ( not concerned with tracking these)
Full Action (which are equal to 2 actions)
Standard Action
Move Action

Unlike the "standard" 3.5e guidelines,
Within my game group,
If a PC has an initiative of 16 for the round, and executes a full move, his turn (for that round) is complete. If he chooses instead to move 15 feet first, this would be a MOVE action. By making this move action, the player reduces his initiative by half (8) and awaits his next "action" when the initiative (for the round as a whole) reduces to 8 within the round.

My hope for BGRPG would be to have it take each token (Player), Sort by highest initiative within the round, if full action is taken turn ends, if standard or move action is taken then initiative is halved. Resort initatives as they reduce in value until no more actions remain and then end round and start next round.

Example:
Player A INT-18
Player B INT-14
Player C INT-4
Beginning INT for round
A-18
B-14
C-4

Player A makes a MOVE ACTION- reducing his INT to 9
INT Resort
B-14
A-9
C-4

Player B makes FULL ACTION - reducing her move to 0
INT Resort
A-9
C-4
B-0

Player A makes STANDARD ACTION- reducing his INT to 0
INT Resort
C-4
A-0
B-0
Player C makes STANDARD ACTION- reducing his INT to 2
INT resort
C-2
A-0
B-0
Player C Makes STANDARD ACTION- Reducing his INT to 0
Int resort
A-0
B-0
C-0
End Round
Begin Round 2

As you can see from above, it is possible that one player could make several moves in a row before another can act based on a higher initiative.

The interesting thing is BGRP can add to the INT number (and resort it), but I can't seem to get it to understand how to reduce the value instead.

Hope that clarifies.
#EDIT# Corrected Player "c" moves
Last edited by Dark Lord Galen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks for the clear explanation. I will have a look at the code to see what's going on when inputing reduced sequencing values.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for rapid response..... Unless there is a "short between the floor and the keyboard" on my end? (meaning user error) I assume I can enter a negative value right? I assume the turn sequencer (and based on what I've Read) isn't a calculating field (ie *.5) so it wont accept formulas.
And if your taking requests.. that would be one for me, is making the Turn Sequencer take simple formula calculations from one "cell" and determine the result in another.

:D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Correct, cells cannot currently accept formulas. That is something I would like to add. It would be useful to be able to heal a character by adding x HPs, or hurt them by subtracting x HPs from their current HPs.

But for now, input into cells simply overwrites the pre-existing value.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 am

Your thinking is in line with mine. :D
Would also be nice to tie the Status to that value.... I like having the ability to show a status without showing a value.. (BGRPG is the only one with that potential) all others I have reviewed force you to display that information, wich I think removes subjective realism from the players.... I prefer their decisions are based on what they "see" not an actual number they can view and do math from. Meaning, If they see the creature bloodied they have to decide how much more they think it can take... where as if they see 12 HP remaining, it takes the mystery away.

Also, (no pressure, just dont want it over looked) are you reviewing the addition of negative values within the cell? or is that equal to "NO" like entry of the formulas?

DLG

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Also, (no pressure, just dont want it over looked) are you reviewing the addition of negative values within the cell?
Yes, it turns out that there is code in place to specifically prevent negative values (actually, any value less than 1). This is intentional, due to the way the tick sequencing is supposed to work. I don't think the tick mechanic is what you want to use to pull off what you are trying to do.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:57 pm

It looks to me like BRPG already supports what you are trying to do without any changes to the programming required.

All you have to do is this: Instead of a player pressing the "End My Turn" button after they have acted, have them instead edit their Initiative value as needed, depending on whether they took a Full or a Standard action.

The attached screenshots below illustrate the example game turn you described above.
Attachments
Action 1.png
Action 1.png (54.2 KiB) Viewed 16437 times
Action 2.png
Action 2.png (53.5 KiB) Viewed 16440 times
Action 3.png
Action 3.png (55.37 KiB) Viewed 16438 times
Action 4.png
Action 4.png (53.76 KiB) Viewed 16437 times
Action 5.png
Action 5.png (54.47 KiB) Viewed 16438 times
Action 6.png
Action 6.png (54.72 KiB) Viewed 16438 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Slight amendment to that: once a player has edited their Initiative down to "0", then they SHOULD go ahead and press the "End My Turn" button.

I also wanted to clarify that the setup I used above is NOT using phases or sequential ticks. Just standard high-to-low sequencing.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:28 pm

AH good work around :D
It didn't even dawn on me to NOT step the turn :shock: :oops:
Thanks for the follow up and resolve... your attention to addressing details are what won me over to your product.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Re: Turn Sequencer

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Revisit on the Turn Sequencer
1> any chance on simple formulas with in cells?
2> I seem to have "lost" the turn Sequencer all together... the button (T) Highlights within the Commands list, but no pop up.... Not sure if this is due to multiple monitors? Looking at the file it is still there... (the custom Turn Sequencer) and looking under preferences it also shows correct file name.... is it possible the file is corrupt? and if so is there a default? I have looked through the manual, but there is really nothing dealing with trouble shooting the Turn sequencer....
Any help appreciated.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 am

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Revisit on the Turn Sequencer
1> any chance on simple formulas with in cells?
Not in v1.x, but a definite maybe for v2.
Dark Lord Galen wrote:2> I seem to have "lost" the turn Sequencer all together... the button (T) Highlights within the Commands list, but no pop up.... Not sure if this is due to multiple monitors? Looking at the file it is still there... (the custom Turn Sequencer) and looking under preferences it also shows correct file name.... is it possible the file is corrupt? and if so is there a default? I have looked through the manual, but there is really nothing dealing with trouble shooting the Turn sequencer....
Any help appreciated.
The Turn Sequencer is still there, but it is positioned offscreen, from when you had a second display connected. Delete the "TS Prefs" file while BRPG is not running, and it should restore the TS to your primary display.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm

hummmm located where?
conducting a search of the entire drive produced zero, but Microsoft is notorious for not "seeing files" . So looking under the Battlegrounds folder the likely choices are "preferences" , "support files", and "extras".
Under Preferences we have a sub-folder known as Turn Sequencer Settings entering that sub-folder there is the custom file for the TS I created there & another folder labeled Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings (which is empty).
Not certain you are referencing the custom one I created, I deleted it (can easily recreate). Rebooted BGRPG and same as before,,, the TS button turns color, but is nowhere to be found.... Your thought was like mine that it was related to multiple monitors, BUT when I had the system (and the custom TS) there was only one as the projector was being run via a second machine on a LAN setup. I have since scraped that setup for the more stable single machine multisession and running 5 monitors (two of which are TVs that support the second session.) IF TS were going to another monitor (other than my primary) I would think I would still see the pop up box.
Attachments
File tree.JPG
File tree.JPG (45.84 KiB) Viewed 16382 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Dark Lord Galen wrote:hummmm located where?
See my first post in this thread for the location of the TS Prefs file.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the rapid resolve..... (see other thread for response)

Also.... Question..... are all those Prefs what determine the display location for the various pop ups? ie the Turn Sequencer, the Command Box, the Drawing Tools etc?

Reason I ask is I have noticed since going to a multiple monitor setup (from one monitor and one projector =2 & now have 3 monitors & 2 LCD TV) I have found it annoying that the map area shows up on the screen I have selected (say TV1 or 2), but the drawing tools, the TS, the Command Bar, etc.... dont... they appear elsewhere (meaning a different screens). I wasn't sure if this was due to W8 vs BGRPG issue and how it assigned what shows where? What would be nice to discover is IF these Pref files remember where each of those "appear", then it is a matter of "laying out" where I want what and saving by closing the file, right? So, can I remove the other Pref Files (as we did for TS) and "reset" those as well? or is this detremental to the program operating? Thoughts?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes, if you delete certain preferences files (e.g., "ChatPrefs.txt", "TSPrefs.txt"), they will get reset to default positions when next you launch the program.

Some tools don't have location preferences, such as the Commands pane and the Draw Tools.

Don't delete other prefs file willy-nilly (such as your License file).

If you just want to see what a fresh installation would default to, it's easier to just rename the BRPG or BGE executable prior to launching the app. That will create new Prefs files with default settings. This would, by definition, automatically restore any missing windows that you'd previously placed on another display.

markuwp
General

Post by markuwp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 pm

I think the idea of allowing formulas in the turn sequencer is really interesting and would add a lot of flexibility for those who want it (and could be ignored by those who don't).

The small simple thing that I would like to see (which I'm sure is not at all small or simple to do) would be to be able to define status colors by an amount or formula. For example, to automatically change the outline around the figure to green when HP is equal/less than 75% of Max HP, yellow at 50%, and Red at 25%. Ideally the colors and triggers would be GM-defined.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 pm

markuwp wrote:I think the idea of allowing formulas in the turn sequencer is really interesting and would add a lot of flexibility for those who want it (and could be ignored by those who don't).

The small simple thing that I would like to see (which I'm sure is not at all small or simple to do) would be to be able to define status colors by an amount or formula. For example, to automatically change the outline around the figure to green when HP is equal/less than 75% of Max HP, yellow at 50%, and Red at 25%. Ideally the colors and triggers would be GM-defined.
It's been a while, so it's time for the obligatory mention of Flash integration ;-)
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=548

Status effects and dynamic stat meters were the first two major features I was planning to add with Flash if we ever get full integration support, though given how busy heruca has been I'm not optimistic about seeing that feature any time soon. :\

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Omnidon wrote: Status effects and dynamic stat meters were the first two major features I was planning to add with Flash if we ever get full integration support, though given how busy heruca has been I'm not optimistic about seeing that feature any time soon. :\
Thought, (again not knowing the full expanse of what is required) Is there a way to "connect" just the base mechanic of the flash features, and let the community help build the "features"? With Heruca elevating to reviewing and "attaching to the base program"? that could potentially create a win win?
For Example I also participate on LoneWolf's forum for their "Hero Lab" character sheet generator. Lone Wolf controls the core engine, and the community helps by creating user add ons for character sub types based on game systems....
I'd be willing to learn flash in support of this...
Thoughts?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:15 pm

That's basically the plan. For me to lay down support for other Flash/ActionScript coders to do their thing. It's is largely in place, but something isn't working properly yet, and I've not had time to debug it. So long has passed since I last worked on Flash integration, that I no longer remember where I am in its implementation.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Thought, (again not knowing the full expanse of what is required) Is there a way to "connect" just the base mechanic of the flash features, and let the community help build the "features"? With Heruca elevating to reviewing and "attaching to the base program"? that could potentially create a win win?
For Example I also participate on LoneWolf's forum for their "Hero Lab" character sheet generator. Lone Wolf controls the core engine, and the community helps by creating user add ons for character sub types based on game systems....
I'd be willing to learn flash in support of this...
Yes, that is exactly what Flash integration is.

BG is coded using the Adobe Director platform, which has native support for Flash. It already has support for placing flash files as objects and some extremely basic integration support. heruca just hasn't found the time to finish coding the integration feature.
Omnidon wrote:It's been a while, so it's time for the obligatory mention of Flash integration ;-)
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=548
Refer to the post I linked above for a more complete description of Flash integration (in my suggestion summary).
And you can check out my more advanced post about the necessary API features here:
viewtopic.php?t=1278