CD or Download version Only?? [Resolved]

jpstod
Cannon Fodder

CD or Download version Only?? [Resolved]

Post by jpstod » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:20 pm

Will you offer a cd version also :?: or just Downloads?

If just downloads how many times will a person be able to download say in case of computer crashes or computer upgrades?

I am interested in using it for a Digital Map aid at table sidein conjunction with Dundjinni and later a projector. I have no interest in running games online

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:37 pm

Initially, just downloads. If there are a lot of requests for a CD version, I will see what I can do (but I suspect manufacturing and shipping costs would drive up the total price).

You can download the free Demo as many times as you want. By entering an unlock code, the Demo will become the GM Client or the Player Client, depending on which license you purchased.

You'll need a one-time internet connection for the verification/approval process to work, but after that, you never need to have an internet connection to use the software (other than playing online, of course).

Note that the same license code can be used to activate the program on another computer-platform (eg, on Mac if you initially installed it on Windows). Just be aware that clients with the same license code will not be able to connect to each other.

When you get to the point of using BRPG with Dundjinni and a projector, I think you'll be in gamer heaven. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:33 am

I just hate DLing over dial up....to many disconnects trying to dl programs..

Call me stupid but if someone does Dl the program could they save to a cd to install again if need be?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:45 am

Anonymous wrote:if someone does Dl the program could they save to a cd to install again if need be?
Sure.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:36 pm

I doubt you'd want to wait that long, but I may be attending GenCon next August, where I hope to distribute a couple of hundred free CDs containing the BRPG Demo (and by then, maybe even the Battlegrounds: Wargame Edition Demo).

Threx
Soldier

Post by Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Id be more then happy to spin off CDs for the cost of shipping + $1.
If heruca agrees. but why not just make friends with a local who has high speed and a burner?

That said, the main problems of dialup disconnections (such as losing your whole download) would be solved if heruca put it on FTP, and not <insert whatever s/he uses to host his page>
I enjoy collecting protection money, putting whores to work, loan-sharking. I enjoy planting bombs in people's cars. These are a few of my favorite things.

Mike Horsepool

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:11 am

Just wondering:
A trip to Gencon from Argentina will probably run upwards of 1500 US dollars Im guessing. If your going there to game that should be fine.
I think Gencon has really strict rules on exhibitors and charges very high prices.
Just my opinion but if your going to spend that kind of money I think you would be better off doing San Diego Comic Con-they have small market press booths geared towards very small businesses at reasonable prices.
Comic con also has probably 20-30 times (could be as much as 100x) the amount of guests that visit and lots of those are gamers.

If not San Diego Comic Con I would recommend Origins-which has a higher percentage of "hard core gamers". Lots of the gencon traffic is collectible card gamers Magic, the DC Marvel vs. an so on. (since Gencon is now owned by the creator of Magic).

But I think San Diego Comic Con is the way to go if your looking to promote your software. (I believe there is no union charge for moving your items onto the dealers room floor as well).

Also you have to consider if your going solely to promote your software, that money might be spent better buying panned adds at say Drivethru RPG or RPGnow.net.

I went to Gencon Southern California this year, and a guy was handing out his own homebrewed "elf dice" which were neat but Gencon threw him out saying he had to buy a dealers table or what not (thats what he later told me) These were actually a neat handout and I ended up ordering a set later on. But he basically went into the convention center parking lot and put them on top of all the car windows.
If your going to give away stuff at Gencon, you might try setting up your promotion as an RP event, or running a panel on Virtual Tabletops-Battlegrounds.

Just some ideas.
--I must feed

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Good ideas, MFM. Thanks. Gives me a lot to think about.

I'm still debating whether I should do this PR & marketing stuff myself, or hire someone there to do it on my behalf (travel is very expensive, as you've noted).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:37 pm

Well, as far as advertising goes, your most important market is the internet.
You need to get major roleplaying sites and search engines to link to you.

As for CDs, I too can burn CDs for people who will pay the shipping, though I'm sure heruca could do the same.

As for the download, it's easy enough to put it on FTP, though that really won't help prevent disconnects.
(I suppose if heruca had every file separate on FTP you could download it bit by bit.)

Also, dial-up users can always use free download management software such as Download Accelerator, which will save your spot if you get disconnected.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:53 pm

Omnidon wrote:You need to get major roleplaying sites and search engines to link to you.
Any ideas how I can do that? Other than selling through EnWorld and RPGNow.com?

As for search engines. I think this site is getting pretty good results already from Google.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 am

Well you can always join link exchanges (though the price would be putting ads on your site as well.)

Befriending some important people (like the owners of Dundjinni) would help too.

As for search engines, yeah Google is how I found this site in the first place.

I just meant that you shouldn't spend too much money going to conventions and all that, when most people who would be interested in your software are more likely to search the internet.

And rather than going to the big conventions where you will be the small fish, try to get the people running the smaller, newer conventions to advertise you on their websites. (Perhaps providing discounts for participants of the conventions as incentive)