A couple questions about using BG with Advanced Heroes Quest

Zabith
Sergeant

A couple questions about using BG with Advanced Heroes Quest

Post by Zabith » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi and new guy here i wasnt sure where to post this so i thought id post here since i could be a potential customer. Many years back a few friends and I used to play Advanced Heroes Quest on a weekly bases, and over time we all went our seperate ways, but from time to time since Advanced Heroes Quest had rules for solo play id pull it out now and again just to throw myself through a little dungeon crawl. Now as of late its becoming a hassel to drag out all the pieces ect.. due to space issues and trying to keep all the pieces in mint condition. So ive been looking at your software and it seems pretty impressive, so my question is would i be able to use this software to play solo games of Advanced hereos quest since everything is generated with dice rolls for solo play and if so what client would i need to purchase? and i think i also read somewhere that i can scan all my board pieces, monster reference sheets and rules to use with this program? that would be cool then i wouldnt need to take the box out of the closet :) Thanks for reading

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Welcome, Zabith.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing AHQ, although I've heard it's a fun game. Someone more familiar with it should probably answer your question about its suitability for play in BRPG. It's also possible that someone has already done the groundwork of porting the game into Battlegrounds.

I'm fairly sure I've seen high-resolution versions of the room tiles posted somewhere (and nicer-looking than the original game components). Perhaps on the Dundjinni user forums?

You will need the GM Client to run any game, even solo sessions, because the Player Client times out after 45 minutes of not being connected to a GM/host, and only supports up to 12 units (game pieces) on the map/board.

I will soon be posting a tutorial video to show how to port a game into Battlegrounds.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:41 pm

By the way, I've posted a special HeroQuest die here. Search for "HeroQuest" on these forums for a few more hits.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks for your response and sorry for my delayed reply, ive seen the heroes quest dice you made very nicely done :) (i also like the dice roller very convenient) but AHQ plays much differently than heroes quest it mostly uses d12s and doesnt use a predefined game board, you usually generate the dungeon randomly and on the fly with the random dungeon generator as you go (unless you run a predefined quest) just incase you didnt know that :) Ive searched the formus but didnt find anything regarding AHQ but im still very interested in this software, i briefly went through the demo but im going to delve into it this evening. I have a couple more questions id like to ask, first can this software manage character sheets and can it be used to roll up characters before the game starts so everyone can see each others rolls just out of fairness and cheating and also so the GM can keep track of all the players stats, the reason i ask this is cause ive contacted a couple of my old gaming buddies and the seem quite interested in being able to game remotely and they asked if it could be used without pencil and paper so they can use their lap top from where ever they are lol, though it would be nice not having to clutter up my desk with paper and always having to look for a pencil hehe :) Another question i have is about map making software i recently seen i think its called campain cartographer, would i be able to use that and port the maps i make into BRPG or is there another map making software you might recommend? Im also not a very computer savvy guy but im not stupid either lol, is porting maps over to BRPG a very time consuming process and do i need to be a computer wiz to figure it out? but if if its all in the user manual im sure i could figure it out, Oh and 2 more questions how big can you make maps cause sometimes dungeons tend to spread out pretty far when you generate them they could also be infinitely big lol, and lastly can you layer dungeons on the fly so when you go down to a new level the upper level wont show ? sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Zabith

Also here is an attachment of 4 corridor sections so you can see what they look like
Attachments
imagesCAK80YK9.jpg
imagesCAK80YK9.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 7971 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Zabith wrote:can this software manage character sheets and can it be used to roll up characters before the game starts so everyone can see each others rolls just out of fairness and cheating and also so the GM can keep track of all the players stats
The answer is "sort of". It depends on if you're willing to put in the effort to make up character sheets using graphical elements, as I did here for another boardgame.

Another alternative is to use the Notepad feature, which lets you track data in text format. If there is not too much data to keep track of, the Turn Sequencer may suffice for your needs.

Zabith wrote:Another question i have is about map making software i recently seen i think its called campain cartographer, would i be able to use that and port the maps i make into BRPG or is there another map making software you might recommend? Im also not a very computer savvy guy but im not stupid either lol, is porting maps over to BRPG a very time consuming process and do i need to be a computer wiz to figure it out? but if if its all in the user manual im sure i could figure it out
It's very easy to import a map into BRPG. The User Manual covers this. Campaign Cartographer can save to bitmap format, so you could use that. In the past, I used to recommend Dundjinni over CC, due to the lower learning curve and IMO nicer output, but lately the customer service for DJ is non-existent, so I cannot in good faith recommend DJ anymore (at least until I see signs of improvement).
Zabith wrote:how big can you make maps cause sometimes dungeons tend to spread out pretty far when you generate them they could also be infinitely big lol, and lastly can you layer dungeons on the fly so when you go down to a new level the upper level wont show ?
40 x 40 squares, or 4000 x 4000 pixels maximum. This is covered in the User Manual.

If you use BRPG v1.6k (which I recommend over the official v1.4i release), you essentially have an infinite map area to work with, as long as your map is composed of tiles, and you can use the new "Views" feature to hop around from one area to another. So you would lay out all of the dungeon levels on a single huge area, and navigate between the "levels" using number hotkeys or the View palette's on-screen buttons.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks again for your timely response :) do i need to lay out my dungeons pieces in advanced? or can i lay the pieces as i go ,and also can BRPG be set so a player on an upper level or any part of the dungeon for that matter wont able to see the lower level or another part of the dungeon when say another player goes down or the players decide to split up (it did happen on occasion and makes for an interesting scenario when they try to find each other) sorry for the 1000 questions but i want to be sure before i commit to buying this but so far im pretty interested :) Also of those 2 map makers which of the 2 would make maps most appealing to the eye and thanks again for your time and patience.

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Zabith wrote:do i need to lay out my dungeons pieces in advanced?
No, you don't. But if you do, you can store the not-yet-need pieces on the Sideboard.

Zabith wrote:can i lay the pieces as i go
Yes. Very easily, I might add.
Zabith wrote:can BRPG be set so a player on an upper level or any part of the dungeon for that matter wont able to see the lower level or another part of the dungeon when say another player goes down or the players decide to split up (it did happen on occasion and makes for an interesting scenario when they try to find each other)
Not easily, but I suppose you could try using the Fog of War feature along with custom vision settings for each character to achieve this effect. Hint: Use "Vision", not "Light Sources", to determine how far each character can see.
Zabith wrote:of those 2 map makers which of the 2 would make maps most appealing to the eye
Dundjinni, in my opinion.
Last edited by heruca on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm

In the future, would you please number your questions? It makes it easier for me to respond quickly.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks again and sorry about not numbering my questions i will from now on, dont know why i didnt do that in the first place doh :oops: i think ill grab one of your bundle Gm client packs tonight is there a certian version i need to buy or do i need to buy the gm client and patch it to v1.6k ?

1. Ive seen there is a monster pack here to get but im also wondering is there a good place to get more top down monster counters cause im sure ill be needing alot of different monsters.

2. Does Dundjinni do outside terrian as well ? as i might try and do an outdoor terrian generating system as well.
Thank you again heruca for your time and patience :)

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 pm

A BRPG license is good for all v1.x releases, including betas. You can even activate your license using a beta release (e.g., v1.6k), so that you won't need to update or patch it later.

1. Look here. Also check out the links posted here.

2. DJ creates exceptional outdoor maps as well as indoor maps. Just browse the maps posted by users here to get a general idea of the program's capabilities and output.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Here's an example (just a small portion) of a well-crafted DJ map.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:17 pm

This is all more than i could have imagined :) Once i get settled in later this evening ill probably purchase the full client. Does the full client come with any starter tokens or scenery or do i need to purchase those seperatly with a map maker and monster pack ?

2. So when i purchase the full gm client license will i be able to choose what version i want like v1.6k which you said would suit my needs, im kind of confused by this,

Thanks again.

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 pm

BRPG comes with a "starter set" of tokens, so that you can mess around with the software right away without having to go hunting for tokens first. You can also get a bunch of free artpacks from here (scroll halfway down the page).

If you find the artpack format convenient, take a look at some of the artpacks that are for sale.

2. When you get a license code, it will work with any version of BRPG (official or beta). It really couldn't be easier. And you won't even have to re-enter your license info when a newer version of BRPG comes out and you update your installation to it.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

So then all i need to do is buy the license then download v1.6k and apply the license then im good to go is this correct?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Correct. Although I usually advise people to download the software and play around with it before making a purchase.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Ok great and once again thanks for all your help heruca its been most appreciated :)

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am

No problem, that's what I'm here for. :wink:

I'll be turning in for the night soon, so if you happen to place an order, I'll get to fulfilling it first thing in the morning.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey again, so i was using the v1.4i demo and it worked good so i installed the v1.6k like you suggested, so i installed it in a different file location to try it out and it seems every time i use the mouse wheel to rotate a token the program hangs and has to close any idea what could be happening?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 pm

The "crashing while rotating a unit with the mouse wheel in Windows" bug appears to be fairly new, and is one of the few bugs I know of that can actually crash the program. I did some work on v1.6k to try to fix the bug (see the ReadMe notes), and until now, I had heard nothing from users either way. I guess it's NOT fixed, after all. :( :oops:

Workaround: Rotate units using the hotkeys (the plus and minus signs), rather than using the mouse wheel.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Ok thanks i can try that but im all to often using my mouse wheel :( out of habit heh. or is there an earlier version that would be ok that would suit my needs?
Oh and one thing i need to ask what in gods name is happening with dundjinn site i really would like to get my hands on that software i used the demo and i was mighty impressed, would you happen to know anywhere that sells a digital download because my searches turned up nada. thanks again

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Does the "crash while rotating a token" bug happen in v1.6g? I'm not sure, since neither here nor here was a version number specified. This thread would seem to indicate that the bug was already present in v1.6h.

Buying DJ elsewhere will only get you an old v1.0.4 release, and you probably won't be able to patch it to v1.0.7 and still have DJ run properly.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Im not sure i only downloaded v1.6k after trying out the v1.4i i first installed. I guess i could try downloading v1.6g and let you know if that works, if it does work will i lose many features ?

And will i still be able to make large maps ?

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Rolling back to v1.6i will time-warp you back to late July of this year. You will lose the Views feature (that lets you quickly hop around different areas of large maps).

Here's a more complete list of the features you would lose:
¢ New commands: Move to Top, Move to Bottom, Stack, Stagger, and Select
¢ Improved Snap-to-Grid performance on hex grids
¢ The "Help" command now provides a much more complete Hotkey reference
¢ Added GM-defined "Views" (think "Bookmarks") to Encounters, for easily navigating from one area to another in the map window.
¢ Added a "Duplicate & Select" feature.
¢ Added the ability to "nudge" units on the map one pixel at a time, for precision alignment.
¢ Improvements to the Text label feature (i.e., text labels created with the "Text" Draw Tool).
¢ Various performance optimizations
¢ Better support for cards in the map window
¢ Faster and more efficient zooming
¢ Further refinement of the Views feature
¢ Added a "Batch Import" feature, for importing all media assets (images or audio clips) in a directory
¢ Added a "Create Deck" command for quickly and easily creating a custom card deck in the map window
¢ New commands can be issued in the Chat window by the GM to resize and rename units
¢ Added a "Cut" feature, to easily move units from one part of the map to another, or from one Encounter to another
¢ Added a "Select All" feature to the map window
¢ New commands for managing multi-token units and multi-portrait units

Probably not worth rolling back, in your case.

Ain't it amazing how much the software improves over just a three month period? :wink:

Not to mention that there were about 6 free games produced and released during those same 3 months. :shock:

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok great seems to work fine using the - + keys i purchased the Deluxe GM bundle :) and i sure hope that dundjinni gets there store worked out soon because campain cartographer is a little to pricey for my liking hehe and thanks again for all your help :)

Zabith

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am

heruca wrote:The "crashing while rotating a unit with the mouse wheel in Windows" bug appears to be fairly new, and is one of the few bugs I know of that can actually crash the program. I did some work on v1.6k to try to fix the bug (see the ReadMe notes), and until now, I had heard nothing from users either way. I guess it's NOT fixed, after all. :( :oops:

Workaround: Rotate units using the hotkeys (the plus and minus signs), rather than using the mouse wheel.
I haven't really experienced it during play, but it does happen. Generally during play you only turn 1 hex side at a time, and the bug doesn't seem to occur often then.

However during some testing today I am able to get BRPG to crash pretty reliably using the mouse wheel to turn units.

Some observations:

1. 1.6k actually seems quite a bit worse than 1.6j, not better.
2. The problem occurs more readily (though not exclusively) with figures using bases larger than 1 hex, especially oddball shapes like 3x1, triangle, etc. Perhaps the code that moves the labels around?
3. It seems to happen more often when you turn figures faster (i.e. rotating rather than merely turning one side).

Attached is the encounter I use to test. If I select all 5 figures and rotate them with the mouse wheel quickly, BPRG will crash quickly in 1.6k. Within 2 full rotations of the figures, usually. The last image you get is that one or more figures appears to be rotating out of sync with it's base.
Attachments
Test.zip
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 167 times