Working Now on a MacBook Pro (Intel)

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Working Now on a MacBook Pro (Intel)

Post by geolama » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:15 am

Originally wouldn't run until I found the beta Flash plugin on Adobe/Macromedia's web site.

Only one small thing is the splash screen stays up longer than on my Powerbook G4 - long past the displaying of the game board.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:05 am

Welcome, Geolama.

You're the first person to my knowledge that has tried BRPG on an Intel Mac. I'm glad that you got it to run, and thanks for the tip about the Flash plugin.

You know that the splash screen stays up until you click it away, right? Or are you saying that even after you click on it, it doesn't disappear right away? If that's the case, it may still be loading the program, possibly slowed a bit by Rosseta emulation.

BRPG is made in Macromedia Director. Macromedia was recently purchased by Adobe. Adobe has not announced any information yet regarding their plans for the future of Director, but it is hoped that they will continue to develop and support Director, and if they do, presumably the next version of Director will support Intel Macs natively.

So when (if) the next version of Director becomes available, I will recompile BRPG for Intel Macs and offer it as a free upgrade to those who have already purchased a license. In theory, I should only have to recompile the launcher application, and not all the supporting files that are part of BRPG. The benefit of that is a smaller download, and you get to keep most of your custom settings.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Core Duo Helps

Post by geolama » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:01 pm

The Core Duo makes up for the Rosetta translation.

I use Klooge.Werks and despite the Java, it is much faster than my PB G4 or PowerMac G5.

I'll keep you informed about any quirks between G4/G5 and Intel

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:52 am

Thanks!

Man, I wish I could see it run on an Intel Mac. I'm developing this on an aging 500 MHz dual G4.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 am

If Adobe does decide to continue developing Director, they will also certainly be supporting Windows Vista. Just thought I'd mention that here, in case anyone had concerns about running BRPG in the distant future.

:lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Upgraded Intel Mac to Flash 9.0 r18 beta

Post by geolama » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:27 am

Tried out the sample adventures - they seem to work.

However, on the Unit Manager window the Tool Tip (or the Flash equivalent) for the buttons shows up under the vertical slider so you can't quite read all the text.

I guess I will have to purchase a license to get past the simple demo mode.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:57 am

That's an issue the cropped up fairly recently, when I made the Unit Manager list scrollable. I may have to lose the ToolTips, because the scrollbar always draws atop everything else.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Upgraded Intel Mac to Flash 9.0 r18 beta

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:23 am

geolama wrote:I guess I will have to purchase a license to get past the simple demo mode.
Uh not really, BRPG is supposed to be simple.

The only limitations in the demo that I can think of are the max number of units and the 45 minute time limit.

More features will be added with each new version, but the simple interface is there to stay.

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Tried some other things...

Post by geolama » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:37 pm

When I last used version 1.08 B and Flash Player 8.X, the right-click worked, however now it does not. I will try and return to version 8 of Flash to see if that is the problem or not and will let you know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:46 pm

Are you using an unusual pointing device, like a Bluetooth mouse?

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Post by geolama » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:02 pm

No, just a standard Logitech MX-310 cabled mouse. I have also tried a Targus Wireless Laser Notebook mouse and it too does not get a right-click response. Of course, it could be that Targus just rebranded a Logitech mouse for this second mouse and if so the problem would go away.

The old standard control-click still works so I can work around this.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Are these items programmable, perhaps via a system control panel? If so, you might try playing with the settings, or creating a profile for use with BRPG.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:04 pm

my bluetooth mouse is a logitech also (that doesn't rt click as mentioned elsewhere); and I'm on a macbook pro (intel) I didn't have to do any upgrades though. i'll have to check what flash I have.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:13 pm

heruca uses Macromedia Director to run BRPG. While it is made by the same company, your current version of Flash should not be related to Director, unless they have some shared files on the mac.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:30 pm

There's already a Flash Xtra in BRPG's Xtras folder. That's the only thing BRPG uses. Whether or not you have a newer or older version of Flash installed elsewhere on your computer (or none at all) shouldn't make any difference.

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Post by geolama » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:17 pm

I have uninstalled the Logitech Control Center and have restarted my MacBook Pro but the problem still exists.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Let me see if I'm understanding the problem correctly. Are you saying that the only way BRPG's contextual menus work for you is using the button under your laptop's built-in trackpad, while holding down the Control key?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 pm

I think he said that the context menu works normally with the rightclick button under the trackpad, but it only works with the mouse if he uses CTRL+Leftclick.

Am I right?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:43 pm

I wonder if something like this would help:
http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdriv ... ation.html

It's free to try it out.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Did you have version 2 installed of the Logitech Control Center software?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downl ... 318,OSID=9

geolama
Cannon Fodder

Post by geolama » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Yes, I had 2.0 of LCC installed. I think that was the first full version that had mac intel compatibility.

Yes, I can control-left click to get to all the context menus. But the right-click just doesn't work.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:41 pm

I've just added some Mac-specific code to BRPG that may help get right-clicks working for you in the next release.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:28 pm

heruca wrote:I've just added some Mac-specific code to BRPG that may help get right-clicks working for you in the next release.
Is that the code that will bork the click focus on menus issue that you used to have or did you find another way to handle it?
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:40 am

It may. I really have no way to test its effect. If that's the case, you may miss the occasional left-click, but at least you'll be able to right-click. It's an option you can choose to enable at launch.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:26 am

heruca wrote:It's an option you can choose to enable at launch.
Excellent, I'll be sure to let you know in either case.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh