Chat Window Lag?

Briggzee
Soldier

Chat Window Lag?

Post by Briggzee » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:25 pm

I had some trouble with the Chat window in BRPG when I tried to run my first game.

For the game, I had 5 players connect to my BRPG session and were planning on using the chat for all communications.
So, no VoIP.

Three of my five players experienced a "wall of text" where they received ~20 lines of text at once.
It was as if the chat program was playing catching up, because this was text that the rest of us had written 3-5 minutes earlier but not shown in their chat window.

This happened on three ocassions to different players.

I am in the unfortunate position of not having the greatest of internet connections, having a limited upload bandwidth of 25kb/sec.

Could this be the result of lag from the server (my connection)?
I was not Uploading/Transferring any maps at the time, as I had all players import the Encounter assets.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Briggzee
Soldier

Post by Briggzee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Tried running another game online, and experienced same issues with the Chat Window.

At first I thought it could have been my Anti-Virus/Firewall slowing things down. So, I disabled both of these and restarted BRPG to be sure.
Made sure nothing else was using my precious bandwidth aswell.
The problem was still there.

3 people had connected to my game, and all of them experienced significant delay (up to several minutes) between myself or others submitting text and it displaying on their BRPG client.

I know this, because we were on IRC at the same time keeping track after we noticed some people were being left out of the loop.
In the end, we reverted to using IRC and a DiceBot, then used BRPG for the Map and Combat Tracker.

Can anyone provide some insight as to why this might be happening?
This is a frustrating situation, as having no Chat window severly limits the functionality of BRPG.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 pm

This could be either a temporary disconnect (i.e., you got disconnected but BRPG eventually re-established the connection automatically), or perhaps one of the players didn't actually import the media assets prior to connecting (perhaps they made the mistake of thinking they only needed to place it in the "Media Asset Bundles" folder, and this triggered a peer-to-peer asset transfer (although a progress bar should have appeared on the players' and/or the GM's screen if this had happened).

Please clarify this for me: is incoming chat the only thing affected by these lag bursts? Can you be moving tokens around and players see them update in realtime, without lag? If so, there may some some third-party app that is interfering. I say this because there's a weird bug that when a user has their Ventrilo chat window open, incoming die rolls won't be received by that user.

One thing I would do is test to see if this lag ever occurs without the GM ever loading any media assets (just a blank map and no tokens). If lag still occurs, it's likely just your internet connection misbehaving.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.