Recommended Update Process

nightwalker450
General

Recommended Update Process

Post by nightwalker450 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:04 pm

How would you recommend changing versions, and not loosing what you currently have?

Unzip to a new folder, and then copy your own figures/encounters/deployments to the new directories? Or is there another way to handle this, or even an automated one :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 pm

This is a common question, so I've "Stickied" this thread.

Yes, for starters, move or copy over your figures, objects, visual aids, portraits, audio, etc. into their respective folders in the new version of BRPG. Of course, just having the assets in those folders only makes them accessible to BRPG, but it does not import them, so if you load up an Encounter or Deployment file, you're bound to see a lot of "question mark" placeholder tokens, and a placeholder map, too. What you need to do is import all that media.

Here's how to get all your Encounter media from an older version of BRPG into a newer version:
1) Load an Encounter in the older version of BRPG.
2) Use the "Export Encounter Assets" command to create a media bundle.
3) Move that media bundle file into the new BRPG version's "Media Asset Bundles" folder.
4) Launch the new version of BRPG.
5) Use the "Import Encounter Assets" command, and select the media bundle you just created.

The best way to get your Deployment assets into the new version of BRPG is this:
1) Launch the older version of BRPG.
2) Leave the Grass map or the "Dun" map showing. Those maps never get saved to media bundles, since everyone already them pre-imported in their software.
3) Load your Deployment and export a media bundle of its assets.
4) Repeat step 3 for each Deployment you want to preserve the assets for.
5) Quit BRPG.
6) Move the media bundle/s to your new BRPG version's "Media Asset Bundles" folder.
7) Launch the new version of BRPG and use the "Import Media Assets" command. Do this for each Deployment you just made a bundle for.

Other files you may want to move to the new version are Text Macros, Preference files (if you've edited the defaults), Turn Sequencer Settings, any custom Card Decks you may have made, and global Dice Macros.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:59 pm

H, do you alter the User Cast.cxt file everytime? I have had success before in just copying over that file, which brings over all the loaded assets.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:35 pm

I now try to make a point of mentioning this when I post new releases. For v1.3f, I stated that "The "User Cast.cxt" file has changed, so using the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version will not work."

There have been no changes to the User Cast file between v1.3f and v1.4, so it should be OK to move your media over the way you suggest (but not if you are updating from an older version of BRPG).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.