Major problems with map loading

ezdaar
Cannon Fodder

Major problems with map loading

Post by ezdaar » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi,

My group and I are having persistent problems in getting maps to load on all the clients. I have the maps hosted on a website and use the map=url feature to load the maps but the map normally only loads for one or two clients and it never loads for someone who joins the game after I have run the map loading command. I've tried resizing the image thinking that perhaps it was too large, but even with a 750k image it still fails to load, or loads only pieces, for the majority of clients. I have had the clients purge media and tried hosting the images on different webservers as well. The map always loads for me however.

I'm also having issues with the new turn sequencer. It does not show some of the figures on the map. I have tried checking and unchecking the use in turn sequencer option on the figures, tried deleting and readding them as well as sideboarding and bringing them back, none of these things work. I understand the turn sequencer is still beta so if this is an ongoing issue I understand.

As a whole I've been very disappointed in this software. It has never worked without hiccups for myself or the clients connecting. We get many script errors every time we play and basic things like map loading and visual aids are very spotty at best. It is entirely possible we are doing something wrong so if there are some magic 'duh' type fixes please point them out. We have tried cleaning out all the preferences (except for the license) in the application support directory but that only clears things up with script errors for a short time.

I very much like the idea of Battlegrounds RPG since it is game system agnostic and runs on both Mac and PC (and sometimes even with wine) but the constant problems are forcing us to spend way too much time fighting the software and not enough time gaming.

Cisticola
Sergeant

Post by Cisticola » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 pm

I have the exact same problems...so you are not alone there.

Map loading and the turn sequencer were not an issue before I updated to the current version...

...in fact these are the first issues I have had with the software....

...I have gone back to the previous version, and everything is fine now.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi

I use 1.2g for a bi-weekly game of 4E. If you want to cut down on session problems (we had only 1 this week where a Drow tried setting an AoE overlay for darkness at the same as I did and it crashed the whole of BG for everyone... but the in built auto save.. well saved the day).

I would very strongly suggest you use the media asset bundle feature. I'm guessing if you can be pre-planned enough to upload your maps to a web server that this will also work for you.

Make your exported bundle and drop it on your server. Then get everyone to download it (with good planning a day before your game) and just before you load your encounter get everyone to import it. Yes you can try to trust in the 1.2 series feature of auto loading but I've had enough problems with that to no longer trust it. Once every one reports the import is finished load up your encounter.

You can still drop in on the fly objects and figures and as long as all your connects are good they get them in sec's but anything big make sure is in that bundle.

cheers

Pete

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Welcome, ezdaar.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the software. :(

AFAIK, you're the first to mention the issue with server-based maps not loading for players who join the game session after the URL command has been issued. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, because this led me to find the bug, which is already fixed for the next release (v1.3a).

Tonight I'll be doing some testing and troubleshooting with Skeeve to try to eradicate the script errors that many users are reporting in recent releases. My suspicion, since these errors seem to occur primarily when a player logs in, is that it might have something to do with the data that is sent from the GM Client to the players upon login, such as custom text labels, global dice macros, custom lookup tables for macros, or the like.

If we're able to duplicate these error messages tonight, it's a pretty safe bet that the problem will be fixed in v1.3a, which I'm hoping to release fairly soon.

The "missing map rows" issue will be addressed a bit later on, since I first need to add some diagnostic tools to BRPG to try to figure out why certain map chunks are not being received. But this issue won't be quite so annoying if I can get the other map transfer methods working 100% of the time.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope I can quickly get BRPG running smoothly without these glitches you've experienced.

Oh, and regarding the units not showing up in the Turn Sequencer, have you by chance been able to replicate this error? Because if you can tell me a series of steps that causes this, I can fix it all the quicker. So far, I haven't been able to get what you described to happen on any of my computers.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Beornvig
Sergeant

Post by Beornvig » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 pm

I am also have map loading issues similar to those above in 1.3f with users on my LAN with very small maps, as well as frequent script errors when users join the game. It's making it difficult for me to spend time troubleshooting the connection issues unrelated to BG, because BG keeps pinging me with the script errors as I work!

What version of the software should I be running in my sessions, 1.3f, or should I downgrade to a different version in order to gain more stability?

Thanks,

-Al

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:28 pm

I believe v1.3f, even though it's still technically a beta release, is the best to use for gaming IF you're aware of the bug and the workaround regarding hostile units not showing up in the players' Turn Sequencer.

I haven't heard any reports of v1.3f being unstable compared to v1.3e.

Regarding your recurring script errors and map transfer issues, would you be available sometime this weekend to do some troubleshooting with me logged into your game?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Beornvig
Sergeant

Post by Beornvig » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I would be happy to do so, I will be trying it out on another network to attempt to isolate my client connection issues to the host. I can do any time from noon through 4 PM EST on Saturday or Sunday. You may need to use Hamachi to connect to me if I can't get the host connecting though.

I will PM you my IM account creds so you can contact me.

-Al