Maximum Map Size

"How Do I...?"
kcdnd
Cannon Fodder

Maximum Map Size

Post by kcdnd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

Page 12 of your manual under MAP says maximum size for a map is 40 x 40 squares or 2440px x 2440 px. Any options to expand that in current software or plans to expand in future?

I'm comparing d20pro, Fantasy Grounds, or Battleground VTT software and checking out options.

BTW, any tutorial videos showing how to use Battleground software? The other two have some neat videos and that's helping. I'm a busy guy and don't want to learn a demo unless it appeals in various areas.

Thanks,
Paul

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 am

You may be looking at the old version of the manual.

The size for the primary map and the FoW is 4000 x 4000

You can technically achieve larger maps (as long as you don't need the FoW feature) by breaking your map into tiles and adding them as objects rather than using the background map feature.

Hopefully in v2 of BG, heruca will make it possible to have unlimited map sizes with FoW.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 am

Welcome, kcdnd.

Here is a link to an updated User Manual (seems you are looking at the original v1.0 User Manual).

And here are links to a few tutorial videos that may help. I plan to post more videos, soon.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kcdnd
Cannon Fodder

Thanks

Post by kcdnd » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for the video links. Would love to see some examples of a role playing session from GM view and player view as they do a short 20m to 30m skirmish that utilizes a lot of features that people will use while playing.

I've played around with demo for about an hour tonight will spend more time over next few weeks exploring.

Thanks

Monk
Soldier

Re: Thanks

Post by Monk » Sun May 09, 2010 10:25 pm

kcdnd wrote:Thanks for the video links. Would love to see some examples of a role playing session from GM view and player view as they do a short 20m to 30m skirmish that utilizes a lot of features that people will use while playing.

I've played around with demo for about an hour tonight will spend more time over next few weeks exploring.

Thanks
I can't give you a video but I can give you some feedback. I had a game two weeks ago where I used Battlegrounds along side a Combat Managet program I wrote called Orc. I was VERY pleased with the whole thing. Here's was my setup.

1) I had both the GM and player programs running on the same computer.
2) I hung a projector from the ceiling which had my players view and had another monitor which had my GM view.
3) I had two mice and keyboards connected to the same computer, one for me and one for the players. I found the players used the mouse more than the keyboard. In fact one player was simply in charge of moving the tokens on the board from the player view which updated on my view.
4) We also had regular miniatures on the table so that we had a 3D type view as well.
5) I had a laptop running my Combat Manager Orc.

Sounds like a lot but it worked well, not flawlessly, but extremely well. A couple things to note

1) Setup up as MUCH as you can beforehand. Find as many maps as you can and make a few deployments ahead of time so you have things ready to setup in a hurry if you need to setup a quick encounter.
2) I downloaded a TON of pngs and generic maps so I can just make up quick maps if needed. Because of the amount of time it takes to make more complex maps, it's best to have your more complex maps predone so you have to plan ahead.

Past that knowing the program and where to find certain things are important, for example, finding area of effect circles.

Get a hold of isometric city and building tokens. Those are great for some 3d fun. Having my Combat Manager program work with Battlegrounds made it possible for me to have large battles of 15 players. It worked so well I was able to do it twice.