Really Noob question

"How Do I...?"
skalla
Cannon Fodder

Really Noob question

Post by skalla » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:56 pm

I am new to online gaming or using a projector. I believe I would like to do both.
What is the best way to take a PDF like one from Dungeon Magazine and turn it into a useable map in Battleground?
Do I need to purchase another program like Dunjinni first and import or redraw it using that program?

I downloaded the Demo last night and it seems easy to use, I now need to figure out the rest of the process, before I pre-order.

Thanks,
[/img]
Skalla

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:10 pm

Welcome, Skalla.

Recreating the map in DJ is probably the best option if you're going after great visual presentation. But DJ can be expensive for some people. However, if you can afford a projector, that's probably not going to be the limiting factor. Oh, and Campaign Cartographer 3 might be another good option, once it's released.

On the other end of the scale, you could just print the map out from the PDF, scan in the printout, and resize your scan to the necessary dimensions using any graphics software, then save it is a JPG into your BRPG Maps directory. If you're proficient with graphics editing, you could even colorize the map first, or make it look like it's printed on an old scroll.

Regardless of how you make your map, I recommend applying as much JPG compression as you can afford without the image visibly degrading. This will ensure speedier map transfer times when playing online. But if the map is strictly for use with a projector (i.e., local use only), just keep it at the highest quality.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

You might also want to look into the other mapping software I listed in the "Links & Resources" page of the main site. I've never used it, but DungeonForge might be a viable alternative to DJ and CC3.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 pm

I think there is a simpler way to do it from a pdf, if you have Photoshop (or Gimp I think).
Open the page of the pdf with photoshop. Rotate if needed to have your squares completely vertical and horizontal. Count the number of squares your map has. Multiply by 61. Resize the map to that number of pixels. Save as jpg.
You now have a map with each square being a Battlegrounds square. Turn Battlegrounds grid off (so you don't have two grids one upon another).
Probably 5 minutes flat.

If you want to color a B&W map, turn it into a layer and color (or add textures) UNDER the B&W drawing. Works very well.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

skalla
Cannon Fodder

Post by skalla » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:59 am

I had to download Ghostscript to use with Gimp but it worked great. I need to play with the size or crop the picture but I am very close. I can check a projector out from work and will give this a try Sunday. I am looking forward to using the Fog of War effect in Battlegrounds to reveal the map to the players. For this Sunday I think I will just use a bunch of squares and remove them as they get close. It will not be perfect but should allow me to learn how everythng works.

Thanks,
Skalla
Skalla

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:26 am

Just keep in mind that you can't save or load maps in the Beta yet and the beta is also time restricted to 2 hours.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:17 am

Skalla, just a word of warning: there is still the occasional bug in the current beta. I'd really, really hate for you to lose a game in progress.

I'm going to try to get a new beta version released by Friday or Saturday. Unfortunately, most of the new additions are for multiplayer games, and won't do you much good for using it with a projector. Unless I can get the Save/Load functions working by then. But even that will be limited in the beta to just saving a handful of units.

Also, if you can get another laptop from one of your players and network the two together, you can add a lot to the game with just the Show/Hide Unit functions. Then again, running it solo gives you a more stable working environment. Much less likely to crash on you, and offers you more control (like layering with the Unit Manager).

skalla
Cannon Fodder

Post by skalla » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice....I may just try it for one of the combats then and get feedback from the players as to how far they would like to take it.

Thanks again.

Skalla
Skalla

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:37 am

Hey Skalla, have you run that test combat yet, now that beta 1.0.7 is out (now that you can save games in the event of a crash)? I'd love to hear how that goes.