Automatically rolling a dice macro attached to a unit

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
rab46
Captain

Automatically rolling a dice macro attached to a unit

Post by rab46 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I can't seem to get a dice macro attached to a unit to make an automatic dice macro roll with the shift key for components I place on a game board. Seems to work OK for units inserted as minis and global dice macros, but not components. Is this an expected behavior?

Don't think I'm doing anything wrong since I get the expected behavior with dice macro's attached to minis and global dice macros.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:09 am

No, that's not expected behavior. Is it one particular dice macro that won't auto-roll, or does NO dice macro auto-roll? Where are you initiating the die roll from? The map window? The chat window? The unit's contextual popup menu? The BG button's popup menu?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 am

It appears to be all the macros.

It works from the "Roll Dice Macro" in the lower left corner of the screen, both global macros and unit specific macros. It works from the unit contextual popup menu if the unit has been placed on the map as a mini.

It doesn't seem to work from the BG button popup menu. It doesn't work from the unit contextual popup menu if the unit has been placed on the map as a component.

I don't know about the chat window, I don't use that feature.

I've tested this on a couple of different games I've created and see the same behavior there too. Anything I can try on my end to help?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 am

Unless you are using the "Roll Dice Macro" in the lower left corner of the map screen, you have to hold down the Shift key for a dice macro to autoroll. Are you doing that?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes. I just noticed that feature when I was rereading the manual trying to find a way to skip the macro screen as a default. I hardly ever use it and it just adds to the mouse clicking. The shift key would be a reasonable option but I've had trouble getting it to work in the situations I've described.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 pm

For what it's worth, the only way I can get directly to the dice roll screen (i.e. skip the dice macro screen) with a dice roll macro attached to a component is:

- press the 'Roll Dice Macro' button at the bottom left of the screen,
- then select the target component with the LMB,
- then use the RMB to open the contextual manual to select a dice macro attached to a component while holding the shift key down.

Trying to roll a component specific macro directly with the shift key depressed opens the dice macro screen for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:08 am

Hmm, you're right, it doesn't seem to autoroll when initiated from a component's contextual popup menu.

Did you try initiating the roll from the chat window with the Shift key down while you select a dice macro? You'll need to host a session to access the chat window.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Nope, I've never hosted a session and consequently never had occasion to use the chat feature. Wouldn't even know where to start.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:49 am

Given that you create your own digital game conversions, you should really read pg. 86-87 of the BGE User Manual, the section called "Issuing Commands from the Chat Window". You're missing out on some useful features if you don't ever use the Chat window.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Hosted a session and still couldn't get directly to the dice roll screen from a unit specific dice macro while holding down the shift key as I selected the unit specific macro.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 pm

This bug is fixed for the next release. It apparently was also an issue in BRPG.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks, appreciate your follow up.