Problems Importing Images For My Card Game

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Problems Importing Images For My Card Game

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to BGE and this forum. This is my first post. I've been messing around with BGE, testing out all the features. I read that I could import card images to make a custom card deck. I've tried importing some jpeg card images I have, but the program keeps telling me I have to name one of the card images to "Back of Card" I've done that, but I get the same massage every time. What m I doing wrong?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 am

Welcome, ZenMonkey11.

There are two ways to create custom card decks in BGE. One is in the dedicated Card Table window (see pg. 120 of the User Manual), the other is on the main Game Table window (see pg. 23 of the User Manual). Which of the two are you trying to do?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I was trying the option on page 120. I think I figured it out. When I looked in the folder, I found that when I typed "Back Of Card" I typed it like this "Back ofCard". Is the program case sensitive?

I have a few other question about BSG.

Question 1: When playing a card game, how do I stop the cards from snapping to the grid when I want to slide the cards around. Also is there; or will there be d a command to flip a card upside down or to rotate cards all the way around.

Question 2: I've been toying around with the Aliens game. I can't figure out how to change the order of players in the turns sequencer. I try roll for intuitive and I get a script error. I've tried dragging the player I want to move first to the top or bottom, but no matter what I try, I can't change the order. I'm trying the game solo and once I tried with a friend.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 pm

ZenMonkey11 wrote:I was trying the option on page 120. I think I figured it out. When I looked in the folder, I found that when I typed "Back Of Card" I typed it like this "Back ofCard". Is the program case sensitive?
No, but it is space sensitive.
ZenMonkey11 wrote:Question 1: When playing a card game, how do I stop the cards from snapping to the grid when I want to slide the cards around. Also is there; or will there be d a command to flip a card upside down or to rotate cards all the way around.
Just disable the Snap-to-Grid feature, with the [X] hotkey.

You can use the rotation hotkeys with cards in the game table. But with cards on the Card Table window, you are limited to tapping or untapping cards.
ZenMonkey11 wrote:Question 2: I've been toying around with the Aliens game. I can't figure out how to change the order of players in the turns sequencer. I try roll for intuitive and I get a script error. I've tried dragging the player I want to move first to the top or bottom, but no matter what I try, I can't change the order. I'm trying the game solo and once I tried with a friend.
The game comes with a ReadMe file that explains how to use it.

Here's a brief quote from it:
"7. Have the players decide the order in which the characters will act, by setting the sequencing trait in the Turn Sequencer (lowest goes first)."

In other words, double-click a token name in the Turn Sequencer to enter Edit Mode (the cells become editable), then change the sequence number for the character, then exit Edit Mode. Do that for each character.

There is no initiative roll in Aliens, so the tokens do not have Initiative dice macros assigned to them. That is why the Roll Initiative feature didn't work for you. It's not supposed to.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Gotcha... Thanks for helping a newb out lol

I really like this program. I can't wait to upgrade for more player slots :)

I have one more question for you. OK in the aliens game, when I roll the d10 to see if I hit, why isn't there an option for "less then 9". Was that a type o like the "+" not being after the "7" in range? Or is it meant to only read "less then 8" as the last option?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 am

Do you mean why is the highest-number macro "Need an 8 or less"? Because if it was any higher, you wouldn't need to roll at all. Unlike most games, this game considers a roll of "0" to be zero, not a 10. So by definition, every roll is going to result in a 9 or less.

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 am

OK, I will give you an example of what I mean. Lets take the Apone Card. If I'm using Apone and I want to use 2 action points to aim at an alien 3-4 squires away. The card says I have to role a 9 or something lower then that to hit the alien. I would take that to mean, there should be a dice macro that reads "needs a 9 or less"

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 11, 2012 1:56 am

No, the rules state that a 9 or greater To Hit number is an automatic kill, no roll required.

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Yes, you're right. I totally missed that when I was reading the game rules :lol: