Wargame version:Release Date

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
velshandru
Cannon Fodder

Post by velshandru » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 pm

LOL, I have it squirrelled away on one of the laptops from last Fall's FUMcon, so I'll have to find it and move it to my new OSX BRPG first. I'll happily share what I have. :)

(( Update: just found an archive of my the raw working scans, but not the con-ready version. I have to assume it's on the laptop I was using and not backed up. Still looking for that one.. :mrgreen: ))

Voidwalker
Cannon Fodder

An offer of help.

Post by Voidwalker » Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 am

Hello all,

I am new here but the idea of an online wargame table is very appealing. I am not sure is this is the place to ask, but I would like to offer my help. I have some basic skills in many areas and would be willing to lend a hand. Any job, great or small.

Thank you

John H

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 14, 2010 9:38 am

Welcome, Voidwalker.

What would you like to help with? Programming, UI design, graphics, or wargame conversions?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Voidwalker
Cannon Fodder

Post by Voidwalker » Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 am

I have dabbled in all areas. I think that to get familiar with how the engine works I should try a wargame conversion first. I have just started Warhammer 40k. If you do not have a conversion for that, I think it would be very popular.

Otherwise, what is you opinion of the areas that need the most immediate attention?

Thanks

John H

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 am

I'm sure WH40K would be very popular (as would a conversion of Space Hulk), but I would never be allowed to host the files for the digital conversion on this site without first getting permission from Games Workshop, and that's not very likely to happen. GW has been particularly active in protecting its intellectual property and taking down sites that are in violation.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to take a look at some of the existing game conversions to get an idea of what's possible with the software. And try out BRPG v1.6c when it's released later today or tomorrow, to explore the new features, some of which should be very useful for wargaming.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Voidwalker
Cannon Fodder

Post by Voidwalker » Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 am

I will do this. Also maybe there is a way around the Licensing issues. If the engine has the capabilities( it should), then it may be community driven. Then Gw would have to go after the individuals instead of the developer.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks.

velshandru
Cannon Fodder

Post by velshandru » Fri May 14, 2010 2:39 pm

This is exactly how we develop BG boards for restricted properties like GW's games, Voidwalker, nor are we "getting around" the license since this is specifically permitted. :)

However, none of us can host those files for others to download (called "publishing") without written permission of the copyright holder. A tiny handful give us that permission in their license, but most do not.

Abandonware sorta falls through the cracks so that we're usually in violation of our licenses to post adaptations of those games, but there's no-one to come after us for it. A gamer such as you or I may be willing to take that chance, whereas another developer such as Hercula often prefers to stay on the honour system where intellectual property rights are concerned.

Apologies to those who know all this, Voidwalker included no doubt :mrgreen:, but I've found it never hurts to repeat it for those new to the topic.

Voidwalker
Cannon Fodder

Post by Voidwalker » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

I agree 100%. I really did not mean to imply anything improper. Thank you for the clarification.

velshandru
Cannon Fodder

Post by velshandru » Sat May 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Voidwalker wrote:I agree 100%
I rather suspected you did <g>, but tossed it in for those reading it for the first time.

Hercula, I just realized that I hadn't sent you the WS & IM material I'd promised you. Just zipped it up and emailed it to you. It's in 1.4i format and still pretty durn crude since I haven't done much with it since last Fall, but it's a start. :)

Now that I've blown its electronic cobwebs off, I'll adapt it to the latest Mac beta.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for sending that. I'll take a look at it tonight.
velshandru wrote:Now that I've blown its electronic cobwebs off, I'll adapt it to the latest Mac beta.
Wait for v1.6c. :wink:

velshandru
Cannon Fodder

Post by velshandru » Mon May 17, 2010 3:21 am

heruca wrote:Thanks for sending that. I'll take a look at it tonight.
Here's a screenie from 1.6b:

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Checking in. Is it soup yet?

Also, didn't see any image on the previous post.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm

GAMAserf wrote:Checking in. Is it soup yet?
See this thread.
GAMAserf wrote:Also, didn't see any image on the previous post.
Nor did I.

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 pm

heruca wrote:
GAMAserf wrote:Checking in. Is it soup yet?
See this thread.
Okay, move me to the confused column. How will this impact my CDR scenarios? ... wait, what?