Mapping Help for a World of Farland Project

Free campaign setting and resources

Moderator: 3rdParty - Farland

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks, Venger!

These maps will be used for a historical article on the Dark Conquest, the time when Farland was conquered by evil. They will be used to show various stages of the battles that conquered the human kingdoms. I'll post a link here when the update comes out.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:47 am

I see.
Interesting.
So will you want the areas where the Enemies were positioned to be added to these maps?

I could add them on a second map, sort of like a before and after kind of thing.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 pm

I would love it if you would do that. That would save me tons of time, and I am scrambling to get this substantial update formatted and out by the 15th.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Ok Ill do all that this evening.

It shouldnt take long.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Here is Far City

http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/Far%20City3_Display.jpg

I will make an alternate set of maps this evening with the lables for the enemy forces and post them first thing in the morning.
Will that be timely enough Farland?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:47 pm

What an improvement these new maps are over the old ones.
(no offense to the maker of the original maps)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:25 pm

Howdy folks...didn't have the lead time I'd need to mimic Venger's style (those are great!). But here's my shot at the Battle of Orland.

Far, let me know likes/dislikes and I'll do the other troop placements.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/r/eric_ang/Ba ... eather.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/r/eric_ang/Ba ... _Stone.jpg
<>< ;^)

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Venger, got your email, and your maps do indeed look awesome. I deeply appreciate it, and tomorrow will be fine.

Erian, different style, also amazingly cool. I have no dislikes, so full speed ahead, and thanks again.

And heruca, I agree, these maps are a big improvement, and the guy who made the originals also agrees. But that's okay, because wait until you see the write-ups of the battles that he did, which the maps represent. He's done more than his fair share. :)

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 pm

Farland wrote:Erian, different style, also amazingly cool. I have no dislikes, so full speed ahead, and thanks again.
Okay, I'll work up the troop movements and have them posted tonight. You prefer the stone or leather (or another) border?
<>< ;^)

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:31 pm

erian_7 wrote:
Farland wrote:Erian, different style, also amazingly cool. I have no dislikes, so full speed ahead, and thanks again.
Okay, I'll work up the troop movements and have them posted tonight. You prefer the stone or leather (or another) border?
I think I prefer the leather. :)

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Very nice work Erian.
I like the stonework layout for the roads especially, and your textures are very nice

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:23 pm

Erian, which font did you use for the enemy labels? I want approximate your style of labels if you wouldn't mind?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:26 pm

It's nice to see various members of this community collaborating on a project. Kudos to everyone who's chipped in to help.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Its kool to give something back to the community. I have collected so many free, great artworks, maps, and just all sorts of great mapping tools. Not to mention the help, tips, tutorials, and free advice people give all the time.

So this is sort of a way of returning the art back to the community imo

hurltim
Cannon Fodder

Post by hurltim » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:48 am

Great Job guys! Looks like you all have done a fantastic job. I have had some difficulties with my map. Basically, DJ is not set up for these types of maps (yet). What's needed is block templates for cites rather than each individual house. That can be accomplished, but not in this timeframe.

Here is my progress so far:

http://www.creditinformant.com/Assets/ZelCity.jpg

Clearly Im not going to make the deadline so if somebody wants to re-do this one, my feelings won't be hurt. I think for this map, it does not need to be as detailed as my normal maps and I have had a hard time changing gears. Placing each individual house has its benefits, but not in this case. I even tried to cut and paste from a few of my other maps but the process is still slow.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 am

Bummer, Hurltim.

Trying to draw each individual house on this map scale is insane, and fairly pointless, IMO.

hurltim
Cannon Fodder

Post by hurltim » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:02 am

True Heruca. Without any other options, I was left with no choice.

Personally, I like to be able to have a city fully mapped out so it can be used for other purposes down the road, but in this case it's not applicable.

http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cogh.html

That is perhaps one of THE BEST city maps I have seen out there. The "block" concept has been around for a long time and Im pretty sure I can emulate it without too much trouble, I just didn't have the time to create the art necessary AND make the map.

Ideally, what I would like to do, is have a "clickable" version of a city map that has hotspots for the various "districts." That click would take you to a zoomed in version of that district. Then hotspots for various buildings etc. and so on until you have as much mapped as you need.

DJ can do it, but the artwork hasn't been created yet. It's on my very LONG "to do" list at this point. I even have the 3d models necessary to emulate Medieval style architecture.

Venger's and Erian's maps are perfect for this type of thing.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 am

Damn, too bad, hurl. It's looking great so far.

Would you mind if someone took what you had and finished it up?

And Erian or Venger, do either of you have time to do that? I'll understand if you don't. It's more important that I get the phases for the other maps you've made first.

Thanks!

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:36 am

Oh! Ok I will see about tackling that one sometime today possibly. Please provide a link to the original map.

Here are the four maps I did, with the labels drawn in.
I removed the red spots on the dragonspur maps.

If there are any changes to be made, text color or style or whatever email me or post here and I will make them

I used the colors from the original maps to make the troop deployment labels.

http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/Dragonspur_Labels.jpg
http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/Kale_Labels.jpg
http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/ElderDaven_Labels.jpg
http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/Far%20City_Labels.jpg

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Only one change. I removed the undead sailors from the Far City attack, so please remove all references to them from the map.

Here's the link to Zel City:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment. ... 1172620730

Otherwise, it looks awesome!

erian_7
General

Post by erian_7 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:32 pm

Hey guys, got Orland finished for all four stages. It's 8.95 MB zipped, so where do you want me to send it (my piddly little FTP space maxes out at 10 MB)?

Oh, and I used Lucida Calligraphy for the font...

Far, I've been working with the Orlandcity.jpg file to see about getting the city blocks filled out with buildings and such. I won't have that ready for this ruin, but if I get it worked out I'll shoot it to you if you'd like a different pic of the city.
<>< ;^)

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:13 pm

hurltim wrote:http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cogh.html

That is perhaps one of THE BEST city maps I have seen out there.
That's a pretty cool Greyhawk map based off the box set.

I've always wanted to tackle making a map based on the city Gary used in his books though. He has some rough work done in some of his books. I think it would be more true to his intent and how I actually perceive the city to be as opposed to how it was built by someone else after he left.

Thanks for the link though (I've been using Greyhawk since it came out.) :)

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:56 pm

erian_7 wrote:Hey guys, got Orland finished for all four stages. It's 8.95 MB zipped, so where do you want me to send it (my piddly little FTP space maxes out at 10 MB)?

Oh, and I used Lucida Calligraphy for the font...

Far, I've been working with the Orlandcity.jpg file to see about getting the city blocks filled out with buildings and such. I won't have that ready for this ruin, but if I get it worked out I'll shoot it to you if you'd like a different pic of the city.
Hey Erian, email it to webmaster (at) farlandworld (dot) com. If you have problems with that, post here and we'll work out another way.

And absolutely, if you do get the box style done, shoot it my way. :)

Thanks again!

hurltim
Cannon Fodder

Post by hurltim » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Have at 'er! Its yours to do with what you will. I feel bad I couldn't get it done in time. Some technical difficulties and crappy car didn't help me much in this endeavor either.

Full Blood: I agree. Personally, I like that "block type" layout for an overview map. I prefer more detail to my maps but a combination of of the block layout and some nice grass, trees and water and it would look killer.

The only problem with the block layout style is creating enough "variations" to make it modular. Most people like winding streets so you would have to make a few variants to match curves, dead ends etc. Not impossible mind you, but definitely time consuming. I didn't know there was enough interest in city mapping to make it worthwhile pursuing.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Hey Venger, any word on your progress? :)