Requesting feedback on an ad design

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
heruca
Developer

Requesting feedback on an ad design

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:57 am

Please provide feedback on this ad I'm designing for promoting BRPG.
The layout and orientation may seem odd, but this is for a landscape-format PDF.

Too wordy? If so, what would you cut?

Is there something you feel is important but that I left out?

If you'd never heard of BRPG, would this ad pique your interest?

Thanks in advance for any input.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:53 am

You need a lot of text to explain the features of BRPG LOL
Perhaps try to group them in several themes ... like Easy of Use, Graphics and Sound, Online/Offline Abilities, Save/Load, ...

- You can scale figures/object when placing them, even making it a default for a specific item, so next time it is placed, the same parameters are used (size, base type, base size [5x5. 10x10, 15x15 or 20x20], orientation, ...)
- Use of animated gifs
- Two channel sounds/music, loop capability
- Great forum for all you questions and answers and a place to generally talk about the program and roleplaying
- Many more features in development (not sure you should put that in there though)

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:51 am

It looks OK, but might be better if you could replace some of the text with graphics - 'show, don't tell' as they say in movies... It really depends how much time you have, but some of the things ou could show would be:
  • 1) Fog of War/dynamic light effects (screenshot plus caption 'Lights... that move as your character moves')

2) Pretty maps imported from your favourite mapping package (with aption 'Camera... with background from your favourite mapping utility')

3) Images and sound (screenshot with small image and 'send sound' pop-up, captioned 'Sound... and anything else you want to let your players see')

4) Hexes/squares - with more than one screenshot, just have one or two with each type of grid.

5) Show area of effect on one of the screenshots.

6) Show the die roller in a screenshot.

7) Maybe show the chat, too?
With this sort of thing you could cut down the text by showing as much as possible. The current graphic is very pretty - but could have been made with Dundjinni alone...
Balesir

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:51 am

I agree with the above comments and would add I think that the last line should be removed. (-can be used with a voice chat program) Any VT can be used with a vc program, if you say it directly the implication is that you have to say it to make the list look longer. Take that line and list one of the many features BPRPG has. If you want to state something about a vc, consider adding it to one of the other lines, such as the removable chat interface, great for VCs or face to face games.

I would also say something about the ease to import 3'rd party maps from ...

Finally I agree that something about the forums should be included. People will want to know there are other using and supporting this product. They will want to know when they are lazy of out of time, they can come here and DL an entire adventure with maps etc and not have to create it all from scratch. (Mind you I never do that, but many like it)

Otherwise it looks good.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:52 am

My thoughts:
The image in the ad constitutes about 50% of the page area. Whtat does it show? A non game specific image. I like, that the image implies well, the adventure and danger to be had, but it could show more of BGs features as suggested elsewhere. I also find the top down token view a bit difficult to descern.

The text - I personally think its a little wordy. I agree images speak louder than words but if your going with the whole text thing, I would work with generalities and catagorise items into graphics, interface, general info etc.. Not necessarily under a heading but structured in a more logical sequence, going from the general to the specific.

For example:
Cross-platform
Easy to learn and use

Interface
Turn based sequence management
Play with a square or hexagonal grid
Self concealing interface, for the most immersive rpg experience

General
Get started straight away with the immersive mini adventure
Fully featured demo
Supports any RPG
Use it with your TV. Use it with your projector
Compatible with all third party voice software
Use it with your friends at home, or with players in far flung places over the internet

Graphics
Awesome fog of war and dynamic lighting features

etc...

Oh and sell the product. Using words like awesome, fantastic, unbelievable.
Battlegrounds isnt just good, its better than great. Battlegrounds IS the best. You know you need it.

Just my thoughts Heruca. We all know you will do the right thing.

Baz.
As Einstein once said... did you let the cat out Mileva?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:20 pm

Heheh I agree mostly with what other people have said.

I hope that's not the actual size of the advertisement though since I had to zoom in to read it.

The audio feature of BRPG should definitely be mentioned as well as the forum / excellent customer support.

I think categories are a good idea.

I also agree that the image used should be replaced. I think it's a good idea to use high-res dunjinni maps and pretty figures in the promotion, but it should be something that really came from BRPG.

Mention of voice chat should be removed as well, since it seems to imply that BRPG has some sort of integration with them.

If that was for a website, I would suggest an animation.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:45 pm

I agree that the mention of voice chat should be taken out. It would very likely be something that *some* people hadn't considered but it's not really one of the great "features" of this program that makes it different.

I'd agree too that using an image (or several images) from Battlegrounds would be better. (Heck, you could even use the items/npcs/pcs in the images to "talk" about the features, but that could get very busy and confusing quickly, might be worth a try if you're bored though.)

I'd mention the floating licenses.

Definately mention the forums. If you need to cut down on words, focus on mentioning things that makes this different from the other options people have, since the idea of an ad is of course to get the consumer to seek out the product or more information about the product.

I'd also agree in not mentioning "many great features to come". Even if it's true, better to avoid selling a product on advertising future expectations.

Just my 2c :)
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:55 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It was really helpful.

Here's a revised version. Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to change out the promo picture, but I will for next time.

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:01 pm

By the way, no one has answered the key question:

"If you'd never heard of BRPG, would this ad pique your interest?"

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Looks good though I'm not sure about the comments about the "boring plastic mat" and "get with the times". I'd encourage folks to consider using it for face to face using positive language rather than what could be percived as negative or even insulting. I know I'm not the only one out there that would pass by something that is implying that doing things the "old way" is bad. In fact, If I didn't know anything about the program and I saw that ad, I probably *would* pass it by because of that language, though likely I would be in the minority. Maybe something along the lines of "beyond rough sketches and plastic battlemaps, bringing role playing games into the 21st century". I think that would give the comparison you were looking for in a less "use the program or you're an archaic slob" way :wink:

But other than that, yes, it would absolutely catch my interest and get me to the website at the very least. :D
--Tlichie

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Heruca,

At the moment the ad seems a little too wordy to catch someone's attention.
I think cutting it down to the top five features would clean the ad up a bit and make me more interested in finding out more about the product.

The key one's in my opinion and my opinion only would be

Cross-platform
Dynamic FOW
The full featured demo
community, user feedback
Easily adaptable (visual aids, sounds,etc)
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:37 pm

I agree with Tlichie in that it would be better to say that BRPG is cutting edge rather than saying everything else is just outdated.
heruca wrote:By the way, no one has answered the key question:

"If you'd never heard of BRPG, would this ad pique your interest?"
Well personally, not really.
Somehow for me that ad fails to get the whole point across - that BRPG is a beautiful new VT.

I am glad you increased the font size; that helps a lot, but I still probably wouldn't take the time to read it since my eyes usually just gloss over image ads.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't usually find things by 'happening across' them somewhere. I found BRPG because I decided to try searching for a new VT and found the website.

It was only the many attractive screenshots combined with the extensive features list that managed to make me reconsider VTs again since I had been so disappointed by them before.

But yeah, I'm just wierd. It's a good ad as far as ads go.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't wish to be critical, but I think that this is the sort of 'advert' that has no persuasive properties at all.

The first job of an advert is to gain someone's attention (preferably the target audience). I doubt whether this will do that, though it might in some circumstances (general public locked in a lift; RPG gamers reading their house magazine).

You have 2 target audiences & the needs of each are qute different.

The first are users of other Virtual Tabletops, or those actively considering using one. They will need to look at comparative features. Comparative reviews "This is the bigest advance in VT's since Klooge" or whatever, should work. A feature list will be needed. I can't really comment on this market since I was not part of it.

The 2nd are potential new users who already play RPGs. I agree with avoiding all the negative comments - that would have put me right off. 'Is your RPG campaign breaking down as people move away?'; 'Have you had to stop playing D&D because there are too many dinners?'.

A long feature list is needed at some stage, but adverts only need a few (1 even) - enough to make someone look further. I'd go for FoW & lights (killer feature for me really), easy to use & whatever gives you a competitive advantage aginst the competition (cross platform is not one of these - most people aren't affected by it; those that are will find you out anyway). Any RPG game. Projector/TV use as well as network or internet. Permanently free demo to try out.

Hope you don't feel I'm being negative - just trying to help. I do have a lot of experience in running businesses.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Oh, I'll mention again I think that the floating license feature would be good to mention.

Since (I'm assuming) the idea of the ad is to get people to the website to check out the full list of features, download trial, etc. you can really keep it to the most important features (cross-platform, playing system flexibility, face to face or cross world) with some of the "perks" such as your own artwork, maps and sound (I think sound can be thrown in with those). Try before you buy is good to mention too.

An interesting enough graphic will get me to stop and look at the ad as long as I'm not in the middle of something else I want to focus on, but it does seem more like an informational flier than a "hey, come check this out, it's new, different and better!" ad. Probably if you focused on the cross-platform, non-game specific, and flexibility to a variety of face-to-face or distance playing styles that would generate enough interest to get folks to the site to look over the full feature list.

But I'm no marketing expert, so I could well be wrong :D
--Tlichie

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Idea for a web advert since it relies on animation is have your fog of war reveal text blurbs as a party is moving across the dungeon map like

Face to Face or Internet

Cross Platform

System non-specific

Free demo

Dynamic Fog of War
-----
In other news, I agree with the statements above, i wouldn't say things about third party software like voice chat, and i'd remove the 'get with the times' kind of verbiage.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:13 pm

As much as I tend to dislike "dynamic" ads with animation (a remnant from the dialup slow computer days :P ) they're everywhere now and that's actually a fantastic idea! "Show don't tell" is always a good policy. I suppose you could even add sound, BUT if you did something like that I'd add it as an option "replay with sound", not as an auto play (pet peeve of mine is to be listening something and have some site I've browsed to or an ad override it unexpectedly).
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:49 pm

yeah i mentioned it would be good with an animation as well, but I thought he wasnt planning on using it in that way.

I can help animate it if needed. Animations allow a lot of information to be put into a small space, and do tend to grab the eye.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:56 am

Tlichie: You're right, I went a bit overboard with "Get with the times!". :oops: :lol:

Smatt1001: Yeah, somehow it got even wordier on me than the first attempt. Sometimes less is more, especially since the intent is to get the reader to the website so that they can look up the finer details.

Weezoh/Omnidon: I like your animation idea, and will keep it in mind for a future promo, but this particular ad is for a PDF.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:59 am

OK, final version.

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:17 pm

Regarding the image, I read all the post quickly due lack of time, so it is possible this has been already said:

I find the tokens of the image not too much readable-understandable, with the exception of the dead knight. Also, it is very evident it is a screenshot.

Perhaps do you want to use (with the due permision, of course) some Four Ugly Monsters Tokens on the map? I think such thing would benefit both of you, Battlegrounds Games and Four Ugly Monsters. And the image would be clearer.

Also, I would add something more to the image (besides the important text!), not only a lefting it to be screenshot. I think it could be more dynamic, more appealing. As it is now, it is clearly an screenshot.

I would tweak it a bit, or I would do a collage of the image with some of the active aplications-windows of BG RPG, such as chat, dice roller, turn sequencer... So the impression would be more complete and more dynamic.

Ok, such thing is not too easy to do but the result could be worthy.

Edit: In the black hexes background, I would put some of the aforementioned active widows of the sub-apps of BG RPG, faded into the background, letting the text to be on the first layer.

Cheer,
Demonsbane

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:52 pm

I like the ad as it stands now. I agree some screenies faded into the background could be a nice touch, but would have to see and compare. Better not to oversaturate. Ultimately the ad is not to buy BGRPG on the spot, it is to get them to come to the website where they will then learn more and then buy it. I think the ad is flashy and provides enough info to pique interest, but not enough to bore.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:38 am

I think it is much better. I like the friendly developer who responds to users. :)

Next time, I'd would use a different graphic making sure the characters stood out more.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:28 am

Hey, I never said he was friendly. :P

I agree about needing a better pic, but this is "going to press", and I ran out of time coming up with something better. Next time, though.

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:05 am

If your going to press, then I say youve nailed it.

Comments for next print:
Obviously the image needs a revisit. Those top down figures are a bit confusing.

I love the bit where it says " The perfect solution..." Good positive message.
A couple of small changes:
I hate it when someone tells you one thing i.e. it includes a demonstration, and then tells you again in a different form, (you can try it before you buy). I personally wouldnt pay for a demonstration product so it seems a bit illogical, so...

Free fully-featured demo, so you can try before you buy... could read
Free fully-featured demo, so you can jump right into the action.

Supports play in any genre, with any RPG rules system... could be
Supports all and any of your favourite RPG systems.

Immerse your players with visual aids, then add music and sound effects for the ultimate roleplaying experience.

Ah but whadda I know. I like it.

Baz.
As Einstein once said... did you let the cat out Mileva?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:08 am

GMBazUK wrote: A couple of small changes:
I hate it when someone tells you one thing i.e. it includes a demonstration, and then tells you again in a different form, (you can try it before you buy). I personally wouldnt pay for a demonstration product so it seems a bit illogical, so...

Free fully-featured demo, so you can try before you buy... could read
Free fully-featured demo, so you can jump right into the action.
Problem is that demonstration means 2 different things-
someone demonstrating the software to you (ie a run through)
a limited edition of the product