Damage Over Time damage tracking/management

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
ThinIzzy
Soldier

Damage Over Time damage tracking/management

Post by ThinIzzy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am

Was wondering if a feature could be added that adds a tracking system so that if a player has abilities that have a DoT component (whether a damage attack or a regen effect, or whatever) can be tracked. This would be useful in situations in which a player has multiple DoTs going on the same target (or in some cases, multiple targets). Perhaps this could also have a feature for tracking buffs/debuffs/other effects that last a certain number of turns. Or is this complicating things overmuch?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:02 am

If I can get Flash support working properly before wrapping up BRPG v1.x, it would be a good way to address this sort of thing without having to wait for Battlegrounds v2.

Right now, a possible workaround would be to place a text label on the map (perhaps as a small floating object) to remind you to apply the effect every turn, and then attach a dice macro to it that is set to affect the Turn Sequencer stats of the selected unit/s. You would still have to trigger the dice macro manually, but at least you have an on-screen reminder.

It is possible to set up a 1d1 in a dice macro, for incremental effects.

BTW, what's a DoT?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 am

Great idea for a feature, by the way. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:51 pm

heruca wrote:BTW, what's a DoT?
Damage over Time

And yes, this was one of the first tools I was planning on creating if Flash integration (with a sufficiently powerful API) is added.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:35 am

heruca wrote:Right now, a possible workaround would be to place a text label on the map (perhaps as a small floating object) to remind you to apply the effect every turn, and then attach a dice macro to it that is set to affect the Turn Sequencer stats of the selected unit/s. You would still have to trigger the dice macro manually, but at least you have an on-screen reminder.

It is possible to set up a 1d1 in a dice macro, for incremental effects.
Okay, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this. I cannot get a die macro attached to unit A, to decrement a value associated with unit B.

It always replaces (instead of decrements) the corresponding value of unit A only. I can't get it affect a unit it isn't attached to.

A set of step-by-step, pretend-I'm-a-clueless-small-child-here instructions might help. :oops: The manual is.....unhelpful, here.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 am

My bad. I forgot that

A) Dice macros can only affect the selected unit, and when activating a dice macro that is attached to a unit, that unit is, unavoidably, selected.

B) Dice macros can currently only set a value (like Initiative), they can't perform math functions on a TS-tracked value.