Arcs of Vision Templates

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Kazander
General

Arcs of Vision Templates

Post by Kazander » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 pm

It would be useful in some games to have have Vision Arc templates you can attach to figures, much like you can with Areas of Effect. There are game effects attached to where in your Arc of Vision an enemy may be, and sometimes it would be nice if BRPG supported this, like for when you decide to put a Full Helm on and suddenly have Tunnel Vision because of it.

I tried just creating a new directory in the 'AoE Overlays' folder and adding my Vision templates to it, but of course it wasn't that simple. :( I was just hoping. So the work-around it to take my templates and put them in the Figures folder instead, and add them to figures as alternate Tokens. It works, but it's a little kludgy.

If I could have just added them to the AoE folder, it would have been perfect. Ultimately I'm not sure if this is a request to allow custom AoEs, or to directly support Arc of Vision Templates. If the latter, I suspect it will have to wait until you support other Line of Sight effects.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 pm

You should be able to swap out a bitmap in BRPG's "AoE Overlays" folder for one of your own. As long as it's named exactly the same, it should be dynamically linked the next time you launch BRPG.

The only drawback is that you will need to ensure that your players get the graphics and put them in the right folder.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am

Just tested my suggestion, and it works. :D

Folks, this would also be the method you should use if you want to incorporate these fancier AoE templates into your square-grid-based games.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 am

So it should be possible to have these overlays for miniature games?
Attachments
a2.png
a2.png (216.5 KiB) Viewed 5150 times
a1.png
a1.png (117.88 KiB) Viewed 5144 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 am

Theoretically, yes. But the overlays would have very unintuitive names, given that you have to use one of the existing AoE names.

Try it with one, just to make sure it works. I suggest a directional AoE, rather than a circular one (since I think BRPG doesn't bother to rotate a circular AoE).

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm struggling to get my templates centered properly.

When I import it, I have to adjust about 4 pixels up and 4 left. This looks good until I rotate it, when it goes off-center.

I tried padding the .png file with transparent canvas to the right and bottom, but this doesn't seem to work.

What's the trick to getting this right? Don't transparent pixels work for this?

Attached is a sample of what I have.
Attachments
No Periph Vis Overlay AA.png
No Peripheral Vision Template
No Periph Vis Overlay AA.png (87.21 KiB) Viewed 5143 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Tried using your overlay, and I couldn't get it to work properly either without changing the offsets every time I rotated the AoE.

Ah, well. It was worth a shot.

You could use these as stand-alone objects with snap-to-grid disabled (to avoid dealing with offsets), but that's about it.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for trying, Heruca.

I guess that must mean the program I'm using to create these hex grids must be imperfect, right?

Anyone have any suggestions for making ones very much like your own, or the current AoE overlays?

I didn't want to use the BRPG grids because they're already antialiased, so when you "fill" the hexes with another color it doesn't look as nice--there tends to be gaps.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Kazander wrote:I guess that must mean the program I'm using to create these hex grids must be imperfect, right?
Nope, didn't say or mean to imply that. It's just that the AoEs in BRPG were coded in such a way that their rotation and centerpoints are determined by keywords in each AoE graphic's filename, so trying to shoehorn in external AoEs isn't going to work properly, since they have to use an existing filename.

If I could fix the bug with anchored units, that would be all you need to achieve what you want with a simple object overlay.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 pm

heruca wrote:the AoEs in BRPG were coded in such a way that their rotation and centerpoints are determined by keywords in each AoE graphic's filename
Interesting. Okay, I won't waste time trying to fix my graphic files then. It never occurred to me that you'd anchor them based on name, but when it's simply a graphic file, I'm not sure what else you could do to differentiate between cones, radii, etc.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:11 am

heruca wrote:
Kazander wrote:I guess that must mean the program I'm using to create these hex grids must be imperfect, right?
Nope, didn't say or mean to imply that. It's just that the AoEs in BRPG were coded in such a way that their rotation and centerpoints are determined by keywords in each AoE graphic's filename, so trying to shoehorn in external AoEs isn't going to work properly, since they have to use an existing filename.
How about having a "Custom" group in the AOE menue that takes its entries from a folder of the same name. Each overlay in that directory would then be defined by two files. First the image itself, and second a sidecar textfiles containing the Display Name, rotation and centerpoints, etc .

That would allow user expansion and could be immensely helpful for the wargamer faction .