Is there a way to do that kind of macro

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
rrvistas
General

Is there a way to do that kind of macro

Post by rrvistas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 am

I recently used BG to track the moves in our Silent Death space battle tabletop. My gaming buddy asked if it would be possible to also roll the attack/damage dice using BG. Unfortunately SilentDeath has a kind of unique way to calculate the tohit/damage.

TO-HIT: Roll and add together the weapon systems attack dice. If this final modified total is equal to or exceeds the targets Defensive Value, the target is hit and may be damaged.

DAMAGE: Each weapon type has either a Low, Medium, High, All, All x 2 or 10/8/6 Damage type. This entry indicates how to read attack
dice that have hit their target to determinethe base amount of damage done. The entries are defined as follows:
Low: Damage equals the lowest number rolled. In case of ties, add all the low numbers together. If all three dice are the same, total them.
Medium: Damage equals the middle number rolled. In case of ties (in which case, there is no middle number), add the all the high numbers together. If all three dice are the same, total them.
High: Damage equals the highest number rolled. In case of ties, add all the high numbers together. If all three dice are the same, total them.
All: Damage equals the total of all the dice rolled.
All x 2: Damage equals double the total of all the dice rolled.
10/8/6: Damage equals 10 at Short Range, 8 at Medium Range and 6 at Long Range.
High+1/: This damage convention is used for missiles. The damage is equal to High damage, plus 1 point of damage for each missile that hits the target.

"To Hit" is a piece of cake, but the simultaneous calculation of damage from the same dice using these models I guess is not. Well "All" and "All*2" is easy, but the real problems are the Low,Medium,High .
Is there a way to do that in BG, or am i better of writing my own software for that?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 am

About the best you could do is auto-sort the dice to make it easier to determine which dice to keep and which to drop.

By the way, I've contacted the folks at ICE to try to get permission to do a digital conversion of Silent Death. They haven't gotten back to me yet.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 am

heruca wrote:By the way, I've contacted the folks at ICE to try to get permission to do a digital conversion of Silent Death. They haven't gotten back to me yet.
I hope you get an answer. It seems that the situation is a bit complicated.
In December 2001, ICE's assets were purchased by Aurigas Aldebaron LLC, an intellectual property ownership company backed by several wealthy individuals. The new owners license the Iron Crown Enterprise name and other assets to Mjolnir LLC. Mjolnir LLC does business as Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE) and license that name and the other gaming property of the original Iron Crown Enterprises from Aurigas Aldebaron LLC, who purchased ICE's assets from bankrupcty.

Cool. What do you plan add to BG for an official conversion beside the shipart and statussheets?

I could think of enable/disable "FOW" overlays that rotate with the ship orientation to show the ship quadrants.[/i]

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 am

I'm too "in the middle of something else" to come up with a comprehensive list right now, but...

Automated attack/damage dice would be a start.

Official SD minis.

Cool space background maps.

Reference charts & tables built-in to dice macros.

A BG-specific rulebook, perhaps?

:idea: Hmmm, I wonder if Mjolnir LLC would be interested in snapping up BG? :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.