Card Table - Different Backs for Specific cards

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Briggzee
Soldier

Card Table - Different Backs for Specific cards

Post by Briggzee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:51 am

I am in the middle of converting a board game I own to BRPG.

It essentially consist of one deck, a bunch of tokens, and the board.
Which is recreated in BRPG easily enough.

The problem is with the card deck.
Although it is one deck, there are two different sets of cards in there.

Cards for the Players to have, and Event cards.
There are more player cards than there are Event cards.

The Event cards have a different backing to them, clearly labelled "Event"
During play, as cards are drawn, as soon as an Event card is on the top of the deck it is flipped over and brought into play.

In BRPG's current state, all cards in the Card Table share the same backing.

I would like to know if it would be possible to add the ability to create a deck where certain cards could have independent backing.

I'm also aware that this a feature request applies for a very small niched situation, and the amount of effort may not be worthwhile.

But it may be something to consider if BRPG goes into a direction that wants to be more customisable and friendly for those wanting to create/convert boardgames to BRPG.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

Interesting problem. I wish this possibility had occurred to me when I was first designing the card deck support into the program.

The only way I can think of to play this out using current functionality is to use three decks. BRPG v1.5 or higher would be required.

One deck is placed on the map window itself, and consists of single-sided cards (i.e., they don't need to have card backs assigned to them). This deck is composed of the proper number of Event cards and Player cards.

Then you'd have a Player deck and an Event deck in the Card Table window. These decks would be created with the "Create Custom Card Deck" feature, and would be dual-sided.

During play, use the "Stack & Shuffle" command on the first deck any time a card needs to be drawn. This will tell you whether to draw a card from the Player Deck or the Event Deck. Set aside the top-most card from the first deck in a Discard Pile beside the first deck.

The cumbersome part is that you will need to constantly save the Card Game for the other two decks, since you will be switching back and forth between the decks a lot.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.