Transparency Question

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Sholari
General

Transparency Question

Post by Sholari » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:18 am

Is there a way to make objects semi-transparent? Like vegetation, a fog or light rain. I guess if you created the image a certain transparency it would work, correct?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:29 am

Yes, image transparency is retained in BRPG last I checked.

However, normal objects (that aren't tiles) cannot be clicked through, even if they are partially transparent.
For things such as fog, light rain, and vegetation, you can put them in a FoW Overlay -- an image that replaces the FoW mask and will automatically have transparency holes punched in the revealed areas.

It has been requested in the past that heruca add the ability to make any object part of the FoW Overlay / move it to the FoW Layer, but as I recall that won't make it in til BRPG v2.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm

If you use a PNG for the object and the PNG has transparency built-in, it will be retained in BRPG. So you could, for example, snag a fog graphic from the Dundjinni forums and it would retain its transparency in BRPG.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:33 am

Omnidon makes a good point though. When you place an object that is above your players and monsters, you cannot easily select them again without selecting the object first. I had this with trees as objects, until I made a FoW image with the trees. Now the trees aren't in the way and they become transparent whenever a character with a vision setting is walking close to a tree.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Is there a how to on creating FOW images? How would you create two layers for a map, like say a tree canopy on top and then tree trunks below?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

For a simple example, open the following graphics side-by-side:

"BRPG\Maps\Tree Turnks.jpg" (this is your map image)
"BRPG\Fog of War Overlays\Tree Trunk Canopies.jpg" (this is your FoW Overlay)

Essentially, you make your map with an unobstructed view of the ground, then do a "Save As..." and create a map with something blocking the ground, such as tree canopies, or fog, a nighttime view, or whatever.

The only "trick" to it is that the map and FoW overlay need to be the exact same dimension in pixels.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.