Turn Sequencer Question for v1.5

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Sholari
General

Turn Sequencer Question for v1.5

Post by Sholari » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:27 am

Just curious but why is the Turn Sequencer always active when I run Battlegrounds? Could there be a prefernce to turn it off on startup?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Turn Sequencer Question for v1.5

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 am

Sholari wrote:Could there be a prefernce to turn it off on startup?
Agreed, the turn sequencer auto-opening every time can be annoying, especially when testing.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 pm

There was some technical reason that required me to have it initialize the TS on launch, but I forget the specifics. What I could do is make it so that it auto-closes the TS window after it has been initialized, or perhaps add a preference setting for it to do that.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Turn Sequencer Question for v1.5

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Sholari wrote:Just curious but why is the Turn Sequencer always active when I run Battlegrounds??
As of v1.6, the Turn Sequencer now automatically closes after launch, once it has finished initializing.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 pm

This is not really a question, but I struggled with something in the turn sequencer last night for a while. I wanted to add a column called 'Max-HP". I add it along with about 5 other columns. When I added data to the first column, "Initiative", I got an error message "9661not a valid symbol" (without the space just like I typed it). I was entering numbers into the Initiative column, but I still got the error.

Eventually I started deleting columns until it worked, and when I deleted the "Max-HP" column it worked. I then added it back as "MaxHP" and things went fine. I am assuming that putting the hyphen in the column header did something to the way it parses data? Anyway, it works now.

Matt

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

You surmised correctly. Certain characters cannot be used in naming values because they cannot be turned into a symbol. For example, you couldn't name a value "1"; if you do, you'll get an error like the one you described. In the specific case of "Max-HP", I would type "Max", then the Return/Enter key, then "HP". This will put it on two lines (making for a narrower column, which is usually a good thing), and it will properly translate into a symbol.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the tip, I would never have guessed that a return was valid in a column name, but a hyphen is not.

Matt

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

BRPG strips out any spaces and line returns from a value's name and converts the remaining text into a symbol by adding "#" at the beginning. So "Init Bonus" becomes "#InitBonus".