Should I purge inactive members from the forums?

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
heruca
Developer

Should I purge inactive members from the forums?

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:08 pm

There are currently 880 users registered in these forums that have never posted even once. 238 users are "inactive" (they never activated their forum account after registering). Should I purge these members, since they are either spambots or have no interest in contributing anything?

Of course, that would leave just 445 members, which is somewhat pathetic for a forum that's been going for 4 years. :roll:

Some interesting statistics:
On Nov. 1st, BRPG v1.0 turned 3 years old.
123 users have 10 or more posts.
18 users have 100 or more posts.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:01 pm

I'd say yes, purge the "inactive" members. If they've never activated their account, never even logged on to the boards, and never posted anything, it seams to me that leaving their accounts in place is just clutter.

Purge, PURGE I say! :wink:

However I would leave any that simply have never posted. Lots of lurkers learning from the boards, but aren't actively contributing. There's nothing wrong with that. I have fora accounts scattered across the internet that I've never posted with. Doesn't mean that I don't attend those boards--just that it's infrequent, and that it's mostly a reference resource for me.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 am

I agree with Kaz in that, if you're going to purge something, purge only the inactive accounts.

But you also need to be careful not to purge any of the accounts that were recently registered, since they may be active users who just haven't gotten around to putting in their activation code yet.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:49 pm

cant see the point of leaving inactive members on the books. Get rid of em lol

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Sigh...I can't find an easy way to purge the inactive members. Omnidon, do you know of a quick and easy way to do this that doesn't involve manually checking the profile settings of each and every forum member?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I can manually do it in the database.

Give me a length of time you feel is enough time for users to have had the chance to enter their activation code (a week maybe?) and I'll purge all inactive accounts created before that point.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:34 pm

A week should do it. We recently had quite a number of days go by without anyone new joining.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Done. We now have a total of 2 inactive users. ;-)
(one who has posted before but changed his email, and one who just registered)

237 accounts were deleted.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks, Omnidon.

heruca
Developer

Re: Should I purge inactive members from the forums?

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:59 pm

I recently purge dozens, if not hundreds, of forum accounts. It seems over the last few years a lot of the accounts registered were spambots, many of whom had URLs in their signature. The forums are now about as clean/purged as I know how to make them.