Autostatus feature request (and initiative again)

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
markuwp
General

Autostatus feature request (and initiative again)

Post by markuwp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 pm

One (hopefully) small request for a future update-- the example for status colors suggests something like green for 51%+, yellow for 26-50%, and red for <25% of total health remaining. I was a little bit disappointed when I realized that those colors update by the GM manually calculating the percentage of hits remaining and then manually changing the color after each hit. It would be great to be able to choose "Auto" as a color option under status and then to be able to designate one (for absolute numbers) or two (for percentage) columns in the Turn Sequencer as the determinate of the automatic status color. The status levels and colors could be customized using a text file similar to some of the others used by BRPG and then would update automatically for any figures set on auto-status (or could still be updated manually).

I'm not a programmer, so don't have a very good idea of how easy or hard this would be, but this would definitely speed things up (and help GMs like me who keep forgetting to update people's status).

Depending on complexity, this might need to wait for the next level of Turn Sequencer integration with other functions. IMO the most important feature to add for speeding up play and making the GM's life easier is still definitely a way to automate initiative using die rolls. A complete integration between the Turn Sequencer and the card and die macro system would be the most powerful solution, but Heruca's suggestion in an earlier thread of a button to search for and roll a macro titled "initiative" attached to each unit in the turn sequencer and append it to the initiative column would solve the problem as far as I'm concerned.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:16 pm

An external text file for defining the range of each status color sounds like a decent way to do it without adding a bunch of UI controls. A new Prefs setting could let you handle status manually or automatically (using the text file). Perhaps "automatically" should be the default setting once this feature is added.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

thanks

Post by markuwp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:12 am

That sounds great. Thanks for considering the request.

Kazander
General

Re: Autostatus feature request (and initiative again)

Post by Kazander » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 am

markuwp wrote:One (hopefully) small request for a future update-- the example for status colors suggests something like green for 51%+, yellow for 26-50%, and red for <25% of total health remaining. I was a little bit disappointed when I realized that those colors update by the GM manually calculating the percentage of hits remaining and then manually changing the color after each hit. It would be great to be able to choose "Auto" as a color option under status and then to be able to designate one (for absolute numbers) or two (for percentage) columns in the Turn Sequencer as the determinate of the automatic status color. The status levels and colors could be customized using a text file similar to some of the others used by BRPG and then would update automatically for any figures set on auto-status (or could still be updated manually).
Just bumping this, and 'seconding' it. It becomes very tiresome to always be updating everyone's status. My players steadfastly forget to do this. It's hard enough to get them to update the Turn Sequencer at all. Just making sure to keep this one on your radar, Heruca. Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 am

Just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten this request, and have started working on it. The attached picture shows the interface I've come up with (subject to change, based on feedback).

The recommended settings/values are shown, but the defaults might well be blank values, so that the Auto-Status-Setting feature is effectively disabled until manually activated by filling in values on this screen. Not all status colors need to be used; you might opt to use only green, yellow, and red, for instance.

The two popup menus on the first line are populated by the names of the values you chose to track in the Turn Sequencer Configuration Wizard.
Auto Status Interface Mockup.png
Auto Status Interface Mockup.png (58.27 KiB) Viewed 15631 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of comments and feedback on the auto-status feature's interface that I proposed.

In any case, I now have it implemented in BRPG v1.8c, which will likely be released in April.

markuwp
General

Post by markuwp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 pm

I am too! I've been busy and not following the boards as well as I could, but I'm not sure how I missed this. I love the way you've implemented the idea.

I may have other thoughts after trying out, but as of now I don't have any constructive feedback or suggestions. What you've got looks perfect.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:57 am

MY apologies at not commenting to this sooner (real world work issues lol ) as this is a request I once had as well.
I am "assuming" and you know the trouble that can cause..... but the table would be driven off of the HP value for each token or object's HP not a single value entered into this table displayed .. is that correct?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:05 am

That is correct.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Would there be a way instead of performing the "math of Max HP t o Current HP to have the Table drive off of a "damage" column and make the visual adjustment (ie colored Squares )?
That way, instead of having to reduce the "actual" HP all the time, you could just enter the damage as it occurs and let BG manage the math.

IF this were possible then the next wonderful step would be to "zero out" the Damage column at the end of each round. Thus resetting the damage accrued back to a zero value and ready for the next's rounds damage as it occurs. By doing it that way you would simply have to input the damage (or repair) to what ever is effected during that round.....
IF not possible, the suggested approach beats hand pecking all the info,,,, so not complaining.

markuwp
General

Post by markuwp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:11 am

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Would there be a way instead of performing the "math of Max HP t o Current HP to have the Table drive off of a "damage" column and make the visual adjustment (ie colored Squares )?
That way, instead of having to reduce the "actual" HP all the time, you could just enter the damage as it occurs and let BG manage the math.

IF this were possible then the next wonderful step would be to "zero out" the Damage column at the end of each round. Thus resetting the damage accrued back to a zero value and ready for the next's rounds damage as it occurs. By doing it that way you would simply have to input the damage (or repair) to what ever is effected during that round.....
IF not possible, the suggested approach beats hand pecking all the info,,,, so not complaining.
For me, the math isn't a big deal and I wouldn't want to complicate things unnecessarily, but I think If I could piggy-back a little bit... If there was a way to deduct damage (as DL Galen suggested) from a character without opening the Turn Sequencer that would make things move along a lot faster. With the addition of the autostatus colors, you could see the health of a character (or whether they died by going into negative HP) without ever opening the TS. Don't get me wrong-- the Turn Sequencer is great and the Turn Sequencer with Auto Initiative was my favorite upgrade ever, but getting in and out of it can be a pain, especially when multiple people are trying to access or change things at once and are having trouble getting things to save.

I like the notes update where you can track/change one thing very easily without getting into the Turn Sequencer. I've thought about using that for HP, since that 's the stat that changes the most, but the pending addition of autostatus makes it easy to decide to keep them in the TS as usual.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm

While you are re-vamping the Turn Sequencer..... I did notice a few other things that would be nice
:) :) :)

1>The User seems to be able to adjust the width of columns for "user added labels" but not for the default.... It would be nice to adjust the width for Token Name, Portrait and Notes as well....

2>The ability to clear out a field after a round instead of going into each row and manually doing so.
BG Screen Turn Seq.JPG
BG Screen Turn Seq.JPG (50.91 KiB) Viewed 15537 times
For Example, It would be nice to Clear out the Actions Column after the end of a round, leaving it blank for the next rounds actions. OR (if damage column becomes reality as noted above) clearing it out at end of round. Or Initiative at end of combat, but retaining other data for new encounter.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 am

heruca wrote: I now have it implemented in BRPG v1.8c, which will likely be released in April.
Is it April yet? hehehe
Just anxious
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously.... Is there also a way to "save" the status of the Turn sequencer if for some reason I had to end a session mid combat?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Is there also a way to "save" the status of the Turn sequencer if for some reason I had to end a session mid combat?
When you save an Encounter, it saves the current state of the Turn Sequencer. This has been the case ever since the Turn Sequencer got the major redesign.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am

:shock: :oops:
Duh... I'm an idiot... :lol:
I thought that was for just saving created encounters. Meaning as DM creates a grouping of tokens and figures for deployment. It never occurred to me that it could be utilized as a "save game" state.
Thanks H for bearing with my momentary stupidity.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:56 am

markuwp wrote:If there was a way to deduct damage (as DL Galen suggested) from a character without opening the Turn Sequencer that would make things move along a lot faster. With the addition of the autostatus colors, you could see the health of a character (or whether they died by going into negative HP) without ever opening the TS.
I was able to get some work done on BRPG v1.8c over the Easter holiday, and have added a way to heal or injure a character right from the unit's contextual popup menu, so you needn't access the Turn Sequencer at all to change the character's HP. However, this feature will only be available when using the autostatus feature.

Bonus: it should also be possible to heal or injure various selected units at once in this manner (e.g., all creatures caught in a fireball's blast area).

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

heruca wrote: I was able to get some work done on BRPG v1.8c over the Easter holiday, and have added a way to heal or injure a character right from the unit's contextual popup menu, so you needn't access the Turn Sequencer at all to change the character's HP. However, this feature will only be available when using the autostatus feature.
Does this mean the change you apply to the character HP in the contextual menu would also be accounted for in the turn sequencer values even if the TS is not displayed?
heruca wrote:
Bonus: it should also be possible to heal or injure various selected units at once in this manner (e.g., all creatures caught in a fireball's blast area).
Now that would be very cool!!

not to keep "piling on" heheh but could that also (in the future) be applied to conditions" ie Slowed, Entangled, etc?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:44 am

Dark Lord Galen wrote: Does this mean the change you apply to the character HP in the contextual menu would also be accounted for in the turn sequencer values even if the TS is not displayed?
Correct.
Dark Lord Galen wrote:could that also (in the future) be applied to conditions" ie Slowed, Entangled, etc?
This can be done via text labels, if you set the labels to be shown in the TS, then hide text labels from the map window.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

heruca wrote:
Dark Lord Galen wrote:could that also (in the future) be applied to conditions" ie Slowed, Entangled, etc?
This can be done via text labels, if you set the labels to be shown in the TS, then hide text labels from the map window.
True, but didn't think this was possible as a "global" change as suggested above, or is it?? (at work currently so cant check) ... ie Say I have a wizard that casts Web on a group in a hall, instead of changing each state for each token.... you could change the state as a grouping....

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 pm

I don't recall offhand, either, but judging by the screenshot on pg. 82 of the BRPG User Manual, I would say YES, labels can be assigned to groups of units all at once.

Edit: I have confirmed that this is the case.

markuwp
General

Post by markuwp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23 pm

This sounds great, Heruca. The improvements to status effects and hp tracking really complement each other nicely, and the "bonus" of being able to apply damage to many units at once is awesome.

Thank you for all of your ongoing work to keep supporting BRPG and making it better. I've said it before, but it bares saying again -- the BRPG product I have now is SO much better than the one I bought and paid for years ago. I've tried to show some appreciation by purchasing artpacks, but I know that doesn't cover all the free improvements to BRPG I've received over the years. If you don't ever get around to 2.0, I'm very satisfied with what I have. If you do, I'll be at the head of the line to buy the new version.

Thanks again for all the upgrades and improvements.
heruca wrote:
markuwp wrote:If there was a way to deduct damage (as DL Galen suggested) from a character without opening the Turn Sequencer that would make things move along a lot faster. With the addition of the autostatus colors, you could see the health of a character (or whether they died by going into negative HP) without ever opening the TS.
I was able to get some work done on BRPG v1.8c over the Easter holiday, and have added a way to heal or injure a character right from the unit's contextual popup menu, so you needn't access the Turn Sequencer at all to change the character's HP. However, this feature will only be available when using the autostatus feature.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for the kind words. I added another quote of yours to the Testimonials page. :D

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:46 am

markuwp wrote: I've tried to show some appreciation by purchasing artpacks, but I know that doesn't cover all the free improvements to BRPG I've received over the years. If you don't ever get around to 2.0, I'm very satisfied with what I have. If you do, I'll be at the head of the line to buy the new version.

Thanks again for all the upgrades and improvements.
+1 For That!
:D