Tweak to crit success/failure, and table lookups

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Kazander
General

Tweak to crit success/failure, and table lookups

Post by Kazander » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Perhaps the current method of including the "modifier to total roll" in crit success/failure determination makes sense under game systems other than GURPS, but in GURPS, critical success or failure determination is based solely on what the dice roll. Any modifiers may come up afterwards.

Right now, if I make a 3d6 roll, with a +5 modifier (for example), and tell the macro that a 17 is a crit failure, then any die roll of 12 or better will be qualified as a critical failure.....and it isn't. It's because the Total Roll Modifier is included prior to crit success/failure determination, when the modifier should be included after the crit determination, but before a table lookup.

I'm sure this is a relatively rare circumstance to have a total modifier included in a roll with a crit/success determination, which is why it hasn't come up before.

It has come up because I was trying to build a table lookup based on Margin of Success instead of a rote die roll, and yet still have critical determination on that roll. Once I figured out that the table lookup was by die roll total even when "show margin of success/failure" was the only option selected in the "Display of Results" box, I tried simply to make the macro 3d6-(skill level), instead of just 3d6, and that way the result for the table lookup was in the correct range. But this broke critical success determination.

Would it be possible to do a table lookup based on MoS, with Crit Success or Failure entries as well, in a future revision of BRPG?

I think the only way to do this now is to use a Reference Table. It would be nice if it could be handled by the die macro engine though.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:12 pm

GURPS needs to be handled a bit differently than other systems, as far as crit determination goes. I suggest you use the GURPS Dice Macros found here (while you're at it, you might also want to snag the GURPS TS Settings and the GURPS 4E labels).

Basically, just add or subtract any modifiers from your skill level, then roll against the appropriate Target Number using one of those dice macros. They'll take care of crits for you.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I do use those macros thanks, and I have my own TS settings and GURPS 4E labels that are working good for me.

I think you've misunderstood me a bit here.

It's not so much the inability to do crits that I'm having a problem with, it's the inability to do a table lookup based on a Margin of Success instead of a die roll total, and have Critical Success/Failure determination work at the same time that's the problem.

If I have a skill like Survival (Jungle), and I want a table like the following:

Jungle Survival
Survival roll made by:

Critical failure: You become ill.
-9: A wild animal attacks you. Snake, scorpion, jaguar, crocodile etc.
-8: You lose 1 HT from hypothermia.
-7: You are scratched by thorn bushes for 1d-4 damage (armor protects)
-6: You stumble around at night in the pitch dark. Take 1d-2 damage.
-5: Insects swarm you at night. –1 HT
-4: You lose 1 HT from heat exhaustion.
-3: Your wounds become infected (if you have any).
-2: You are able to find food in the bountiful jungle
-1: Traveling is exhausting. Lose ½ Fatigue.
0: You are able to find a clearing in order to navigate by the stars.
1: You are able to find a trail useable for vehicle travel.
2: You are able to find clean water
3: You are able to make a fire with the damp wood.

The table lookup needs to be based on Margin of Success, but it also needs a lookup value based strictly on the fact that the roll was a Critical Failure. Thus the Critical Failure criteria needs to work correctly at the same time that the roll lookup is based on MoS. Right now I can't do that.

If, when the checkbox to Show Margin of Success/Failure is checked (and only this box is checked), the table lookup was based on MoS instead of die roll total then this would work much better.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for elaborating. I'll see if I can work that in at some point. I can see how it would be handy, and not just for GURPS.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.