An idea for an alternate way to configure maps

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Motdc
Captain

An idea for an alternate way to configure maps

Post by Motdc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 am

Given a random scan of a board/map with a pre-existing grid on it (and most made for gaming do have that grid on it to start), I found it very difficult to get the map sized just right and/or the grid guidleine setup just right.

In my case, it was caused in part because the map had a decorative border with runes or carvig or some such that was some arbitrary width, not the width of a map square. I could not for the life of me get the BRPG grid overlay to line up, and I assume it was because it wants whole grid squares starting from the left, where as my map had three and a 1/2 squares worth of border so it was impossible to satisfy the requirement.

Enough background...I did finally get it working.

Now the idea:

If, when configuring a new map I had the option to use a square-drawing tool to just "trace" a single square on the map image, BRPG could eaisly calculate every single other setting required. It could calculate how many full and partial squares there were in both directions, including cases where the left or top side started with a partial square.

Ease-of-use galore!

Mot

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:44 am

You're spot-on about why the grid couldn't be lined up. BRPG currently can't handle maps with a grid on them that doesn't start in the upper left. THe workaround is to trim off the margin/border in a graphics app first, or to extend the canvas by a number of pixels that translates into exact cell dimensions (which requires you to measure how many pixels across on your map are used per cell).

Your proposed solution would probably lead to cumulative errors on large maps. Instead, I would like to add a means to define a map's horizontal and vertical offsets.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 am

In regards to the cumulative errors on large maps, you are right, I can see how that would happen.

But assuming that after the user used the quick-configure method and BRPG then calculates everything and updates the grid overlay, a user could then tweak the settings to get it lined up. At the very least it would start them out with a good approximate starting values.

In any case, support a map offset like you said is a great idea.

Thanks for your time!
Mot

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

heruca wrote:BRPG currently can't handle maps with a grid on them that doesn't start in the upper left.
This will no longer be true once BRPG v1.5a is released. :)

I've added a means of specifying horizontal and vertical offsets for the map (via the Map Settings panel, of course).

Here is the map being used in the attached screenshot. That sort of map would not have been usable with snap-to-grid in prior releases of BRPG.

In short, you'll no longer need to futz with a map like that in a graphics app prior to importing the map into BRPG.
Attachments
Map Offsets Example.png
Map Offsets Example.png (735.71 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Sweet, thanks!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:29 am

Excellent functionality :D