Support of play-by-email games

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Arax
Cannon Fodder

Support of play-by-email games

Post by Arax » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Hello,

I'm playing LEGENDS (complex play-by-mail game) now for a while.

In the brief summary I have red that there is a mode to support play-by-mail games. How does it look like? Are there other play-by-email games as reference implementations?

All the best,

Guido

Arax
Cannon Fodder

Support of Wargame Tabletopsystems

Post by Arax » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:22 pm

-- Topic merged by Omni --

Hello,

is there a support planned for Wargame Tabletopsystems?

My special interest are wargame simulation in the context of play-by-email games.

All the best,

Guido

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Support of play-by-email games

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:28 am

Arax wrote:In the brief summary I have red that there is a mode to support play-by-mail games. How does it look like? Are there other play-by-email games as reference implementations?
heruca, 'BRPG in a Nutshell' wrote:Use Battlegrounds to generate awesome visuals for your play-by-post or play-by-email games
The developer is referring to using the software to create screenshots that you would email or post.

Alternatively, you could email encounter files & media bundles to a player, although this would allow the player to view the whole battlefield and move any unit.

BRPG does not currently support a live GM-to-player relationship via email.

I've seen the kind of feature you're talking about in some games though:
  1. At the beginning of each turn, the host generates a game file and sends it to the players.
  2. The players then each do their turn separately and send their updated game file back to the host.
  3. The host then imports them into the software, where they are merged and the new turn is generated.
Arax wrote:is there a support planned for Wargame Tabletopsystems?

My special interest are wargame simulation in the context of play-by-email games.
Yes, there is a Wargames Edition planned. The developer is currently collecting suggestions for it, which can be posted in the Wargames Edtion's feature request section:
index.php?f=63

I can move this topic there if you want.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:38 am

bump.

heruca, I think you missed this thread when you got back.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:42 am

Actually, I skipped answering it because I thought you'd already answered this pretty well for me. :)

I'll just add that, for the Wargame Edition, I'd like to implement some kind of support for non-live games, where the players can just email their turns back and forth. I think Vassal has something like this already.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:00 am

heruca wrote:Actually, I skipped answering it because I thought you'd already answered this pretty well for me. :)
Ah, ok ;-)
Just thought you usually like to greet new people. This was Arax's first post.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 am

Oh, yeah. :oops:

Welcome, Arax.

I'm not familiar with Legends. What specific support would you need for it? Please be as detailed as possible, since it's a game I know nothing about.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

utwarkow
Cannon Fodder

Post by utwarkow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello,
First off Love the program, good job.

We are looking for software similar to this, but with PBEM support also.
We can't get together at the same time in RL or online.

Any new revelations to design Battlegrounds PBEM?
Or could I just host forever, and players log on when they can and make their actions? Could my Hosting be on standby until someone logs on? (I have only skimmed through the demo and options).

Thanks in advance
Tim

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Welcome, utwarkow.

You could leave the host running and players could log in, take their turn, and log off. Recent changes and additions to the program help make that a possibility, such as the option to automatically grant a floating license when needed without prompting the GM Client, and Blackout Mode now being a global setting.

I have no plans to add a PBEM mode to BRPG v1, but will probably make it a priority in v2. But that's at least a year or two away.

Have you tried Vassal and/or Cyberboard? The latter is exclusively PBEM, but it's probably better suited to boardgames and wargames than it is to RPGs.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:08 am

Depending on how complicated the game is, MapView is anothe PBEM program, though it to was designed originally for strategy war/board games.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks, Motdc. I don't think MapView was on my VT radar yet.