How should directional light sources work?

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
gurgi
Soldier

Post by gurgi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 pm

It certainly makes sense to me to have the light wielders own square/hex revealed when using a 'beam' light source for most uses. I suppose having it be something that can be turned on or off by the GM would make the most sense - but not sure how much of a coding nightmare that would be on your end. I can see a use in horror settings to have just these narrow beams of light with no discernible source as adding to the general ambiance.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 am

heruca wrote:I've once again tweaked the automatic reveal of the token carrying the cone-shaped light source. Now it reveals just enough so that (on a square grid) all four corners of a figure's base can be seen, regardless of base size. I think this approach works well, since it doesn't over-reveal, as it was doing in the last picture I posted.

The question now is: would you like this feature implemented for the wielders of beam-shaped light sources, as well?
I agree with Gurgi.

GarrenTD
Soldier

Post by GarrenTD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for all of the work! Downloading update to give it a try.

Complicated question, but YES. As light sources are most commonly from objects (or objects with spells cast upon them), it is logical that most would, at some point, be handled/carried by a player.

GarrenTD
Soldier

Post by GarrenTD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 am

First and foremost, I cannot express how much I appreciate your hard work. If I could help in any way (other than complaining to you...and spreading the word of how awesome BRPG really is), I would.

And, though it's been a couple of years since I've actively played/GM'd (stupid job keeps getting in the way), I continue to study, develop, and practice. BRPG has been nearly a paradigm shift gameplay, but I really need directional light/darkness within FoW. I've tried to adapt, but there's really no good substitute.

Admittedly, cone light sources can be a bit tricky (even on a table). I can only imagine how difficult they must be to code (else you'd have already done it). They have to adapt to the current situation, e.g. the degree of the fan, and they change shape based on direction (see below).

IMHO, if it's in relation to the person carrying the object, then it should be "B." By definition of being a directional source, only it's effects (the cone) should be visible from any direction except head-on. If head-on, you would not be able to see behind the light, just the light itself. Like staring into oncoming headlights, you know the car is there, but you can't see who's driving. Most of my players prefer to illuminate the enemy, and not themselves (hence, they're frequent use and my sincere need).

One could argue that the subject would be at least outlined, but the point of origin is easily deduced from the cone's effect, and would only add a moniker of improved chance to hit (which can be moderated by the GM). When it comes to containing PK, it's easier to add than to take away.

Also and more importantly, I have an issue with your direction of light/dark cone development. Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but I don't want/need an exact triangle for a cone. It would be "most bestest" if the dynamic light/dark cones were shaped as the existing templates ("blocky triangles"). While there's rules in most systems to deal with chances to see/hit in shady areas, I have learned from much experience (both throwing and being targeted by the ole "BS" flag) that PK of this sort is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to control.

This is the point of FoW in the first place, right?

Lastly, if there is anything I can do to help you get cones done, let me know. This the last piece to the game that I WANT to host.

GarrenTD
Soldier

Post by GarrenTD » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 am

---Repost---

Thank you for the cones!!!

Do have some issue/request:

1. Please add 45 degree support soonest.

2. Not sure how this would work (can superimpose light limitation for the time being), but light cones can be pointed at a 45 degree angle, which the token rotation I'm guessing will not currently support.

GarrenTD
Soldier

Post by GarrenTD » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 am

Hercua, thanks again. I don't mean to complain, but the rules are the rules (and my players both love and hate me for being so strict).

After thinking about it for a while, I did (in a very round-about way).

From your developer notes, I'd assumed that the angle could be set, so didn't think it needed to be specifically stated. I realize that I should have, sorry.

Yes, I play 3.0, actually 3.5 (will refrain from version vs. version discussions).

The way I figure it, if you can cast a spell that replicates light in that direction, why wouldn't a "normal" person be able to replicate with a mundane item by just moving their arm? (I typically require a free action for this without movement, and nothing if it's a partial action w/ a spot)

Hence, my sincere desires for:
-AoE's to clear FoW
-"block" cones, etc. to clear FoW
-the 45 degree thing, as a acceptable substitute
and
-the ability to rotate 45 degrees at a time.

I can even make the others work for now, but ultimately, blocky cones w/ rotation would be the greatest (though probably hardest to code, as they change shape).