Sneak Preview of new Turn Sequencer in BRPG v1.3

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm

...and furthermore, some of us like games that don't reduce the wonder of life to a resource pool/hit points! :wink:

Manual is the only real way to do this for open systems unless it's configurable (which would be nice but gets overcomplicated, eventually).
Balesir

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm

oleingva wrote:...And really strange systems which use cards for initiative (like Savage Worlds, one card per player, or Deadlands, one or more cards per player)?
This would be invaluable for us Savage Worlds fans!

:)
MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Note: I've changed the thread title, because the new Turn Sequencer will now be in v1.3.

v1.2 will instead add card deck support. And not just flipping cards from a random deck, but enough features to be able to play hands of poker, blackjack, etc.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Hmmmm nice! :)

Any eta?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm

v1.2 should be out by January 14th, perhaps sooner.

v1.3 sometime in February.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 am

That totally rocks, heruca. I wasn't really planning to use BRPG to play Deadlands - but now I just might, just to use the deck for some nifty huckster hexslingin'.

Heck, if the feature works well, I might run a Deadlands/BRPG demo game. Gives me the chance to let some new players try my oldest favourite system! :D

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:48 pm

heruca wrote:v1.2 should be out by January 14th, perhaps sooner.
:!: :roll: :wink:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:26 am

heruca wrote:Here's the current status of the forthcoming BRPG updates:

v1.2 (Card Deck support): 80% complete
v1.3 (Enhanced Turn Sequencer): 65% complete

I realize these are both overdue. I suppose if I'd focused on just one version at a time, you'd have one of these updates already, but unfortunately this wasn't logistically possible.

To make matters worse, I have another trip coming up, so v1.2, which was supposed to be released on Jan. 15th, will have to wait until I return. But I hope to get it nearly finished during my trip.

The good news is that v1.3 should be following fairly closely on the heels of v1.2.
heruca wrote:I will be away on a trip from January 15th until January 24th.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:27 am

Sorry, Dormouse. By now, I should know better than to post estimated release dates. Real life has a way of interfering whenever I do so.

To make matters worse, what Omnidon quoted is still accurate, as this time I was unable to work on BRPG during my trip. But now I'm back, refreshed, and eager to get back into development. Just need to get some license codes issued first.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 am

heruca wrote:Sorry, Dormouse.
No neeed to be sorry, we all know the drill and it is helpful to have an idea of what and when you intend even if the dates will always slip slide away. Pointing it out is just meant as a bit of fun, though :)

The only time it seems to matter (and never for me) is when someone wants to try a particular feature in an upcoming game - but then they post and tell you and you can respond.

heruca
Developer

Re: Sneak Preview of new Turn Sequencer in BRPG v1.3

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:18 pm

heruca wrote:The GM decides what attributes (columns) get listed in the TS, simply by editing a plain text file.
This is no longer true. Setting up the Turn Sequencer to show the data you want will instead be done by the GM completing a step-by-step Wizard. I believe this will be a much more user-friendly approach to customizing the Turn Sequencer display, and it's also less prone to user error (i.e., typos).

allen
Cannon Fodder

Post by allen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I love the ability to set status on a figure, but I still find that it slows down the flow of my combat, which sucks energy out of the game (it's not hard to select a figure, select status, and then select prone- but for some reason that action still takes me 3-5 seconds, during which my players get impatient).

Having all the notes in one place where they can be easily modified really ought to speed things up.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:15 pm

I have the exact same problem, allen - 3-5 seconds might not be much, but in a table top game, your attention need to be on your players more or less constantly, or they'll drift out of 'game-mode'.

So I am also looking forward to this one!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I have a question for the people who play (or want to play) games with turns that are divided into phases/segments/ticks/impulses/etc, using BRPG. For simplicity, I'll refer to these as "phases", regardless of the specific name.

I know Car Wars uses either 5 or 10 phases, depending on which edition you play, and I know Champions/Hero System uses 12 phases.

My question is: Does anyone know of a game that uses many more phases than that? Do I need to support more than, say, 15 phases?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Well, that depends on what you mean by phases. I would want a turn sequencer that supports the ability for each character to act multiple times per round.
If "phases" are the only way to support that feature then yes, I certainly might want more than 15 phases.

Is there some reason you are unable to easily support unlimited phases?

Mind you, I'll still probably be creating my own turn sequencer anyway :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 pm

Yes, I'm trying to support systems where characters get to move or act more than once per turn.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 pm

For my non-freestyle games, I'm developing a system where the number of actions a character can have per round is based on a statistic, so theoretically characters could have any number of actions per round. I know I've seen other game systems with this method before too, though I can't think of an example. Are you planning to support stat-based turns of this sort?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 pm

See the sample phase charts attached below. These are the sort of thing I'm trying to support. A user-defined chart like this will be used to determine who gets to act on each phase automatically.

Take Car Wars as an example. If a car is moving at 35 mph, the Turn Sequencer will automatically prompt it to move on phases 1, 2, 3 and 4. If on the following turn that car slows down to 20 mph, it will be listed by the Turn Sequencer as moving only on phases 2 and 4. The player won't need to constantly toggle the settings that determine when his token gets to move; it'll happen automatically. There will still be an option to set the action phases manually, though.
Attachments
Sample Phase Charts.jpg
Sample Phase Charts.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 113207 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:26 am

Well, I don't see why there's any reason using that method that you can't have unlimited values.

In some systems, a round is a set interval of time, and the faster the character is, the more times he can act within that interval.

Such systems would determine the number of phases per round based on the speed of the fastest character. (The fastest character would act in every phase).

Therefore, if you do not intend to support the ability to determine which phases a character can act based on a formula, then you should at least allow the user to add a vast number of possible values to the system speed chart.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 am

One that springs to my mind is Bushido (and related games, like Aftermath, Daredevils, etc.). These have two separate stats for 'Base (i.e. first) Action Phase' (BAP) and 'Zanshin' or similar (i.e. number of actions per turn). A character with Zanshin 3 and BAP 22 would act on action phases 22, 14 and 7, for example. A character with Zanshin 2 and BAP 22, on the other hand, would act on action phases 22 and 11. BAP can go as high as 30 or so, IIRC.
Balesir

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 am

This one is likely to cause you some headache, I think. For instance, Deadlands uses a deck of cards (actually two, one for the players and one for the GM) for initiative, where each card except the jokers could be considered a 'phase', and each player and NPC might have between zero and five cards - provided that no powers give them even more. Theoretically (though completely unlikely unless you have allowed something very unbalancing into the game), a single character might have 52 actions in a round.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 am

Oleingva, could a Deadlands game be handled by assigning a numerical value to each drawn card and letting the Turn Sequencer auto-sort the PCs based on those values? Perhaps it could be set up to support up to 52 phases while omitting any phase that no one acts on.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 am

Omnidon wrote:Well, I don't see why there's any reason using that method that you can't have unlimited values.
Since the phase charts won't be defined by an external text file created by the GM, I wanted to provide and easy on-screen interface listing all the phases with a checkbox for each, and you just click on the phases where you get to act/move. My concern was that if I have to support, say, 60 or 100 phases, the checkboxes would get too small, or force a scrolling mode that becomes a bit unwieldy.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:45 pm

heruca wrote:Oleingva, could a Deadlands game be handled by assigning a numerical value to each drawn card and letting the Turn Sequencer auto-sort the PCs based on those values? Perhaps it could be set up to support up to 52 phases while omitting any phase that no one acts on.
I suppose that would work - though, I think it would be easier to just use the card table during combat.

The whole card thing, while being one of the really cool aspects of Deadlands, is the main reason why playing Deadlands online, well, sucks.

One solution is this - set number of phases in the preferences. That way you could choose if you wanted 6, 10, 15, 52 or 1000. Might be a hassle to script, though. I'm not sure if I really understand what you mean by phase, though . . . will D&D's mechanic of 1d20+X (X usually being a number between 0 and 10, but could be more or less) mean that each initiative count is a phase? I.e. about 30 phases? Or are you referring to something different? I'm unfortunately not familiar with any of the systems you name as examples.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:13 pm

D&D, AFAIK, doesn't use phases. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that everyone gets to go exactly once every turn (they call them "rounds"), in highest-to-lowest order of the initiative rolls. Each initiative count is not a phase, it's simply stepping though all the initiatives rolled for that turn.