Placing Objects and Turn Sequencer

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Monk
Soldier

Placing Objects and Turn Sequencer

Post by Monk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm

I have encountered bugs with both instances which is making working with Battlegrounds rather difficult.

1) Placing Objects seems to work great until you use too many. And in this case all I have were 7 placed objects, all light sources. In trying then to use FOW with these light source I begin to get Script errors. Once I get a script error it never goes away. Any click to a hex renders a script error. This makes me afraid to place light source objects or any object other than a character token on the map which basically means I lose all that excellent functionality.

2) With Turn Sequencer I was compiling my players with their numbers and setup the wizard to use init as the base column to determine who is next in the sequence. First of all this doesn't work. Turn sequencer was not highlighting the character who was next (worked in version 1.1) based on the init value. Also after a few times in trying to setup the wizard, it eventually crashed and the whole window no longer renders properly. The whole chart is offset on the window, unreadable and I cannot bring it back from this state. Even after saving it stays like this which as far as I can tell, means I have to start completely over.

That is where I get nervous. if Battlegrounds crashes like this after trying to create an encounter and it becomes unable, I'm nervous to even use this during a game since it could very well crash and suddenly I have to recreate the whole encounter which in some cases takes a rather long time to do.

My machine OS is Windows Vista x64 Ultimate

Thanks for looking into this.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 am

1. This is not normal behavior. It shouldn't matter if you've placed 7 or 70 objects. Did you by chance edit the "Light Sources Menu.txt" file? Feel free to send me your Encounter file if you want me to check it for problems.

2. Again, not normal behavior. When you configured what values you want tracked, did you by chance have a value that started with a numeral or symbol? That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause the TS to not work properly. If the TS table ever fails to redraw properly, either force a refresh by changing the window's size slightly, or by clicking on the "Token Name" header.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Monk
Soldier

Post by Monk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:57 am

heruca wrote:1. This is not normal behavior. It shouldn't matter if you've placed 7 or 70 objects. Did you by chance edit the "Light Sources Menu.txt" file? Feel free to send me your Encounter file if you want me to check it for problems.

2. Again, not normal behavior. When you configured what values you want tracked, did you by chance have a value that started with a numeral or symbol? That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause the TS to not work properly. If the TS table ever fails to redraw properly, either force a refresh by changing the window's size slightly, or by clicking on the "Token Name" header.
hmm... Didn't change the light sources menu.txt file. I will generate the encounter file again using one of the maps provided and send it along. It could be my map for all I know which I doubt, but then, not familiar enough with Director to know if it could be. ;)

I don't remember with the TS if I had typed in a symbol or not. This is possible but I have no idea how to reset the TS table to remove it. I can't even type in values in the column headers anymore. I once got a 9516 is not a symbol which pretty much tells me I have a symbol. Perhaps 9516 is Director lingo for spacebar or something else like that. Google isn't helping me figure that one out. Also if I resize the TS window large enough it seems to fix the painting issue so it looks as if it is displacing the whole window to the left. This happened when I added more columns. Deleting the columns didn't fix it but I will try and click the Token Name column and go from there. I will return with more results.

Thanks for the help! :D

Edit: was able to get the TS window to render properly. Still cannot add values to the columns. I enter a number and it disappears the minute I click outside the box. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 am

Monk wrote:I don't remember with the TS if I had typed in a symbol or not. This is possible but I have no idea how to reset the TS table to remove it.
Open the TS Configuration Wizard by clicking on the "Configure..." button on the TS. Then click on the button labeled "New Settings (Revert to Defaults)".

Have you watched the video tutorial that covers the Turn Sequencer? It might help if you're feeling lost.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Monk
Soldier

Post by Monk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Okay.. The tutorial helped a lot. Thanks! :D I appear to have TS now working. I will try and generate an encounter with the script error on light sources here in a bit.

Thanks again.

Monk
Soldier

Post by Monk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I have included an encounter file where i have a "Syntax error" occurring. This does not have any light sources but I think it is still related. I think that because in both instances everything worked great until I started messing with the Fog of War stuff. Once I made an area visible, I started to get errors. Hopefully you can reproduce. I have included comments on each file so you know what they are. I think this is all you should need. If you need anything else let me know I will send it.

Thanks!
Attachments
CarnDumFloor1of1broken.bge
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Carn Dum Floor 1right.jpg
Carn Dum Floor 1right.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 3550 times