FOW Bug

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Nighteagle

FOW Bug

Post by Nighteagle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:51 am

I've received purchased Battlegrounds and I was showing it to our gaming group, using a laptop as the GM client and a computer connected to a big screen TV as the player client using a floating license I had purchased. As I was demonstrating the fog of war feature, I was in the process of manually removing an area of manual fog of war from a room in the dungeon, my husband was moving/rotating his character on the player client. As he did so, briefly, the fog of war would disappear from the map, briefly revealing the hidden areas while he moved and rotated his token. We were able to repeat this, but it only seemed to happen if I was manipulating the fog of war at the same time he was moving his token and playing with the rotate function using the mouse wheel.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:39 am

Thanks for the bug report. I'll see if I can duplicate it tomorrow. Does this happen regardless of which Fog of War tool you are using? And regardless of which FoW style you are using (dynamic, manual, or both)?

I consider this pretty serious, since it can give the whole game away.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Nighteagle

FOW Bug

Post by Nighteagle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for responding so quickly. We had only tried it when both the manual and the dynamic FOG were running. I was trying to use the square reveal tool from the FOG menu to reveal a room. It was a quick flash of the map, yet enough for my husband to see my whole map. As I mentioned, he was randomly moving his character, which seemed to involve both rotating and moving. And it only happened if I was simultaneously in the FOW tools actively trying to outline an area to reveal.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am

Is he on an older computer with low processor speed or memory? That's the sort of thing I'd expect from a slow redraw speed on the FoW image.

Nighteagle

FOW Bug

Post by Nighteagle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 am

The player client computer that was briefly revealing flashes of the whole image that was supposed to remain covered by the FOW was a hyperthreaded 3.0 GHZ with 2 gb of RAM, 100 MB network LAN connection (per my husband). Unfortunately, the computer is a little older, but if I can expect this problem to occur for anyone with an older computer, well that would be most of the people in our RPG group.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:00 am

I think it's just a bug, and not related to the computer's speed. The fact is, when I'm programming and testing this stuff, I'm either at the GM client or at the player client, never on both at the exact same time, so it's very possible I missed something when events happen simultaneously.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:29 pm

As a work around, does using the 'Blackout Player Screens' work if you turn it on while manipulating the Manual FoW?
Balesir