Wrong menu items popping up (1.4i win)

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Farland
High Commander

Wrong menu items popping up (1.4i win)

Post by Farland » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 pm

When I place a figure, then I go to edit figure by right clicking, sometimes the wrong menu item is being triggered. For example, the add audio menu item might pop up (this is just an example of the wrong item-- it changes).
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:18 am

Very odd, and pretty serious.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, please state Mac or Windows OS. I myself have not had any issues, but I've been using my Mac almost exclusively, lately.

Does it only happen if you already have units on the map? I'm wondering if something in the auto-naming code is failing silently, and causing the remaining code to fail to execute.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:54 am

It's difficult for me to replicate, because it happens sporadically. I have had it happen with figures and objects. Yes, to my knowledge it happens when I already have units on the map. I will try to find if something specific triggers it. I can get the edit figure menu item to pop up eventually, but sometimes it takes three of four tries.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 am

I think I might have seen it before. But it is SO sporadic, that I usually think that I just clicked the wrong thing. But I have noticed that I seem to click on the wrong object more often in last couple versions then before.

I'll try to keep a closer eye on it to see what I'm doing.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Today I provoked the bug with the following steps.

Opened BRPG (loaded normally, and I clicked through the "About" splash screen, as normal). Loaded the attached file. Right clicked on the figure "Corpse-Grinder". Selected Edit Figure.

And the "About" splash popped up, after a long pause. I was able to click through it. When I right clicked the figure and selected edit again, this time it worked normally.

I am on 64bit vista, although I am running BRPG from the 32 bit Program Files folder.
Attachments
blades.bge
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 pm

It sounds like you started using BRPG before it was fully done launching. You should NOT "click-away" the About splash screen. It will close automatically, then the Turn Sequencer will open, there's a brief pause, then the zoom level indicator says 100%, fades away, and the app is ready for use.

I'm rather surprised you aren't getting the "A serious error has occurred..." message, if that's the usual way you start using the program.

In any case, I was unable to duplicate the error over here, using the Encounter file you provided.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 am

heruca wrote:It sounds like you started using BRPG before it was fully done launching. You should NOT "click-away" the About splash screen. It will close automatically, then the Turn Sequencer will open, there's a brief pause, then the zoom level indicator says 100%, fades away, and the app is ready for use.

I'm rather surprised you aren't getting the "A serious error has occurred..." message, if that's the usual way you start using the program.

In any case, I was unable to duplicate the error over here, using the Encounter file you provided.
Come on, I am not an idiot. I am not clicking madly before the program is done loading. This is a bug, not user error. In fact, this morning, I opened BRPG and touched nothing until the turn sequencer had fully loaded by itself. I gave it some extra time to be sure. Then I did the same thing and got the exact same error. Then I right clicked on the figure "Kranak" and selected edit figure. Long pause-- and the about screen popped up again! Then I selected figure "Valdus"-- same deal. In order to get the Edit Figure menu this morning, I had to select Edit Figure twice for the same figure.

Also note that this bug does not always produce the About splash. Sometimes other things pop up. It's just that I have been able to reliably reproduce it lately with the about splash and this encounter.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 am

Sorry, but given the way you phrased it ("click-through the About splash screen"), I interpreted it literally. It is, after all, a common occurrence.

I'm not denying that there may be a bug. I'll see if I can duplicate the bug on my Windows PC, since I can't seem to make it happen on my Mac.

Please try the following test to see if it makes the bug not occur: First click on a figure with the left mouse button to select it, THEN right-click it and select "Edit Figure...". If that prevents the bug from manifesting, that will give me a clue as to where to look for the bug in the code.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Although I can't replicate the bug every time, you might be right, because I have not yet replicated it if I first left click on the figure before right clicking on it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Welcome, Edward.